You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Zaha - Stay or go?
August 19 2022 5.26am

Zaha - Stay or go?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 14 of 15 < 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

 

View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 28 Jul 22 12.08pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

If Wilf holds out signing a longer contract, there isn’t much Palace can do. Even so right now only a ridiculous offer should see him leave. Come the next window , maybe, Dougie will have smelt the coffee, and lined up a real option for going forward. Without that option Wilf going missing would hold progress up.
A really good season might be the key to this for Wilf, and the club. If that happens ,outside of a silly wage offer from elsewhere , he might well go nowhere.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 28 Jul 22 12.28pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

I think he has more than enough money so really this would only be about achievements. At best Palace might win a domestic cup before he retires. He is such an emotional player that if we turned Chelsea down it would undoubtedly affect his performances on field. Yes he has done well financially out of us but we have had our money's worth out of him so to block a move at this point in his career would be unfair in my view, however detrimental it might be to us.

Having said all that I don't really believe the Chelsea rumours.

I agree the Chelsea rumours are rubbish, but good point re him being emotional.

A few years ago we turned down a silly low offer from Arsenal and then a slightly better one from Everton. Wilf spat his dummy out (did he really want to go to Everton??) and was terrible that season - he scored 4 goals and only 1 in the last 25 or so games.
He went AWOL in many games.
Roy changed the formation the next season (to 442) to get more out of Wilf, and this worked to an extent, however, i think his performances that season and lack of effort has tarnished his reputation to an extent.
I love the bloke but you can't sulk for a whole season

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 28 Jul 22 12.58pm Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

These footballers know, or should know that when then come asking for more money, the club has the ability to lock them down for a decent period of time. Wilf consistently was offered contracts on better terms, and so consistently extended his contract length.

Harry Kane stupidly locked himself to Levey well across his prime years. Wilf has effectively done the same.


Wilf will be a very attractive free agent next summer. And I have no doubt that he'll have lots of offers.

We should close up shop now as we don't have time to get a replacement in, but start planning for life after Wilf.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 28 Jul 22 1.06pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

If I were the owners, I'd sign Wilf up to a long lucrative contract this season to see his career out.

He has been the main reason why we are in the Premier League, and he deserves a big thank you.

I'm sure he will also have a job at Palace after he hangs up his boots.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View VinceHilaire's Profile VinceHilaire Flag London 28 Jul 22 1.13pm Send a Private Message to VinceHilaire Add VinceHilaire as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

If I were the owners, I'd sign Wilf up to a long lucrative contract this season to see his career out.

He has been the main reason why we are in the Premier League, and he deserves a big thank you.

I'm sure he will also have a job at Palace after he hangs up his boots.

Wilf we always be welcome back at Palace whatever happens. Third time I have posted on this thread…but you can’t blame Wilf. If Chelsea want to sign him, offer him more money, the chance to play in Europe and stay in London - he would be a fool to turn them down.

Chelsea are a bigger club than us and have the financial clout to basically sign who they want.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 28 Jul 22 3.07pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Wilf is a better play now than he ever has been. Insanity to even think about letting him leave. I can see him hitting the 20 goal mark next season.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 28 Jul 22 4.21pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by VinceHilaire

Wilf we always be welcome back at Palace whatever happens. Third time I have posted on this thread…but you can’t blame Wilf. If Chelsea want to sign him, offer him more money, the chance to play in Europe and stay in London - he would be a fool to turn them down.

Chelsea are a bigger club than us and have the financial clout to basically sign who they want.

You are a Palace fan right?

I wish Wilf all the best, but the club comes first. I also happen to think that Wilf would be better off staying at Palace.
He will soon become a has been nobody at a big club, but will remain a hero at Palace with a long contract and plenty of game time.
The Champions League is seriously overrated.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 28 Jul 22 4.22pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

If it were me I would offer him £150k/wk for two seasons and a minimum £100k for a third. By then he’ll be 33.
He is looking super sharp, fit and young.
Our super star by a long way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 28 Jul 22 4.36pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

If I were the owners, I'd sign Wilf up to a long lucrative contract this season to see his career out.

He has been the main reason why we are in the Premier League, and he deserves a big thank you.

I'm sure he will also have a job at Palace after he hangs up his boots.

Is a 5 year contract of £130k a week (£33.8m in total) not a sufficient thank you?

Wilf has been a great servant for the club but he has been richly rewarded too. IMHO he has lost a yard of pace and struggles against the better organised teams and faster defenders. Take his penalties away and many of his goals are against the lower teams - Norwich and Watford last season spring to mind.

I am not sure he would sign a new contract, but if he was open to it i wouldn't break our current wage structure

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Zaha127's Profile Zaha127 Flag 28 Jul 22 6.36pm Send a Private Message to Zaha127 Add Zaha127 as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

Is a 5 year contract of £130k a week (£33.8m in total) not a sufficient thank you?

Wilf has been a great servant for the club but he has been richly rewarded too. IMHO he has lost a yard of pace and struggles against the better organised teams and faster defenders. Take his penalties away and many of his goals are against the lower teams - Norwich and Watford last season spring to mind.

I am not sure he would sign a new contract, but if he was open to it i wouldn't break our current wage structure


It is a hard one. Palace aren't as reliant on Zaha as they were a few years back. With Olise, Eze, Edouard, Mateda and potentially others coming through (Rak Sakyi, Plange, Ebiowei) Palace are no longer reliant on one player.

However if Wilf stays and scores/assists more than 13 times on average in the EPL for the next 5 seasons it would be worth keeping him. 13 G/A is realistic for him per season in the EPL providing he does not get injured a lot. Even more is possible as players like Eze, Olise will help create more goals. Even say offering Wilf £200,000 a week that is about £18m extra over 5 years if he signs a 5 year contract. There is no doubt he can continue playing at the top level to 35 at least. I can understand both scenarios. If he stays he can still have an impact on Palace. And if he leaves (most likely on a free in Summer 2023) he will be 30 and at least a side in Europe (UCL or EUROPA) will take him. I can see him easily playing for a team like AC MILAN. He definitely can play in the UCL and if he left good luck to him. It would give players like Rak Sakyi and Ebiowei to get more game time.

Edited by Zaha127 (28 Jul 2022 6.36pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Henry of Peckham's Profile Henry of Peckham Flag Eton Mess 28 Jul 22 7.18pm Send a Private Message to Henry of Peckham Add Henry of Peckham as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

Is a 5 year contract of £130k a week (£33.8m in total) not a sufficient thank you?

Wilf has been a great servant for the club but he has been richly rewarded too. IMHO he has lost a yard of pace and struggles against the better organised teams and faster defenders. Take his penalties away and many of his goals are against the lower teams - Norwich and Watford last season spring to mind.

I am not sure he would sign a new contract, but if he was open to it i wouldn't break our current wage structure

Yes, of course he's been well paid but he's a joy to watch when he's on form and I'd certainly miss him. Would love to see him stay and lead our line of promising upcoming youngsters.

 


Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Casual's Profile Casual Flag Orpington 28 Jul 22 8.58pm Send a Private Message to Casual Add Casual as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

I think he has more than enough money so really this would only be about achievements. At best Palace might win a domestic cup before he retires. He is such an emotional player that if we turned Chelsea down it would undoubtedly affect his performances on field. Yes he has done well financially out of us but we have had our money's worth out of him so to block a move at this point in his career would be unfair in my view, however detrimental it might be to us.

Having said all that I don't really believe the Chelsea rumours.

‘Would be unfair to block a move , however detrimental to us?’
Surely this is a wind up.
‘However detrimental to us?’
. He’s getting 130 grand a week. If he doesn’t want to sign a new contract , he doesn’t have to. But he signed the contract.
Unfair, unshmare . It’s all about Palace for Palace. No sentiment in football. If Wilf don’t like it , f*ck him. Leave next year.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 14 of 15 < 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Zaha - Stay or go?