You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > 'The Lady of Heaven'
June 25 2022 2.55am

'The Lady of Heaven'

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

 

View HeathMan's Profile HeathMan Flag Purley 08 Jun 22 10.46pm Send a Private Message to HeathMan Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add HeathMan as a friend

Someone must have told the faithful about the film not being suitable. We will never know how many islamic teachers have sat through the film.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 08 Jun 22 11.18pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

According to Wisbech, these issues simply do not exist, everyone gets along famously.

When have I ever said that?

I have criticised the destructive impact of religious dogma here very often. What I don't do is give any one religion a free pass. They all create problems, some worse than others, but none without any.

I condemn anyone seeking to force a film not to be shown, every bit as much as I would condemn anyone being forced to watch something if they don't want to.

What I want to see is the application of common standards of behaviour for all religions. People can believe whatever they like, but must practice their religion in private and not in any spaces shared with non-believers. I don't want to see religion, any religion, on the public square or in our schools, which should all be completely secular. Schools should teach about religions, but not a religion, or be run by a religious organisation. That applies to all. Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim. We need to make a clear, unequivocal statement about that, and apply it to everyone.

That it would be resisted, and cause problems, is undoubtedly true, but ultimately it would remove many of the reasons for tensions.

Religious belief has been in decline for decades, and we are now a nation of non-believers. Those non-believers need to find a voice and stop any drift backwards to religious intolerance of non-belief. We can tolerate religion, but only where and when it doesn't impact us.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (08 Jun 2022 11.22pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 09 Jun 22 7.56am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

When have I ever said that?

I have criticised the destructive impact of religious dogma here very often. What I don't do is give any one religion a free pass. They all create problems, some worse than others, but none without any.

I condemn anyone seeking to force a film not to be shown, every bit as much as I would condemn anyone being forced to watch something if they don't want to.

What I want to see is the application of common standards of behaviour for all religions. People can believe whatever they like, but must practice their religion in private and not in any spaces shared with non-believers. I don't want to see religion, any religion, on the public square or in our schools, which should all be completely secular. Schools should teach about religions, but not a religion, or be run by a religious organisation. That applies to all. Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim. We need to make a clear, unequivocal statement about that, and apply it to everyone.

That it would be resisted, and cause problems, is undoubtedly true, but ultimately it would remove many of the reasons for tensions.

Religious belief has been in decline for decades, and we are now a nation of non-believers. Those non-believers need to find a voice and stop any drift backwards to religious intolerance of non-belief. We can tolerate religion, but only where and when it doesn't impact us.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (08 Jun 2022 11.22pm)

This is an odd contradiction on your part. Like me, you are no fan of religion and yet you are happy to see hundreds of thousands of Muslims come here who are far more of a risk to our culture, freedoms and security than some old grey haired Christian who watches Songs of Praise.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 09 Jun 22 8.17am Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

When have I ever said that?

I have criticised the destructive impact of religious dogma here very often. What I don't do is give any one religion a free pass. They all create problems, some worse than others, but none without any.

I condemn anyone seeking to force a film not to be shown, every bit as much as I would condemn anyone being forced to watch something if they don't want to.

What I want to see is the application of common standards of behaviour for all religions. People can believe whatever they like, but must practice their religion in private and not in any spaces shared with non-believers. I don't want to see religion, any religion, on the public square or in our schools, which should all be completely secular. Schools should teach about religions, but not a religion, or be run by a religious organisation. That applies to all. Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim. We need to make a clear, unequivocal statement about that, and apply it to everyone.

That it would be resisted, and cause problems, is undoubtedly true, but ultimately it would remove many of the reasons for tensions.

Religious belief has been in decline for decades, and we are now a nation of non-believers. Those non-believers need to find a voice and stop any drift backwards to religious intolerance of non-belief. We can tolerate religion, but only where and when it doesn't impact us.

Edited by Wisbech Eagle (08 Jun 2022 11.22pm)

It is part of your our grandchildren will have no problems, all racial/religious/cultural problems wil simply fade away in time.

You would just replace it with secular dogma which would also impact us.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 09 Jun 22 8.28am Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman


You would just replace it with secular dogma which would also impact us.


Antifascism.

The religion of the 21st century.

 


In 1967, when Polish mercenary Rafal Ganowicz was asked what it felt like to take human life, replied: "I wouldn't know, I've only ever killed communists."

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 09 Jun 22 9.12am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

It is part of your our grandchildren will have no problems, all racial/religious/cultural problems wil simply fade away in time.

You would just replace it with secular dogma which would also impact us.

I partly agree with Wisbech here.

What people believe is up to them, but organised religion is a scourge.
Of course, it has cultural, historical and moral significance, but worshipping God beings and adhering to ridiculous dogma should be consigned to history.

Of course there is a big issue with what replaces religion, but keeping one insanity to avoid another is not a logical argument in this context.
What we need is education and purpose. We need to see that our lives are to be celebrated and that believing in ideals and dogma, both religious and secular, that are patently irrational is not the way forward.

Some of us are happy to worship at the altar of Woke and surrender to 'inevitable change'. This is as much as a delusion in its own way as believing in sky fairies.

Edited by Hrolf The Ganger (09 Jun 2022 9.15am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 09 Jun 22 9.21am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

This is an odd contradiction on your part. Like me, you are no fan of religion and yet you are happy to see hundreds of thousands of Muslims come here who are far more of a risk to our culture, freedoms and security than some old grey haired Christian who watches Songs of Praise.

I have never said that either. I just am a realist. They are here, so now they are, we need to ensure they under no illusions about what living in the UK entails. I believe in tolerance, just so long as everyone participates and what they do impacts no-one but themselves. There are plenty of good people in every group but I probably take a tougher line with the bad guys than most.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 09 Jun 22 9.27am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

It is part of your our grandchildren will have no problems, all racial/religious/cultural problems wil simply fade away in time.

You would just replace it with secular dogma which would also impact us.

There is no secular dogma. That is an oxymoron. All it involves is ensuring religion does not dominate. It doesn't ban it, for those who wish to have it in their lives, but asks them to keep it away from those who don't and to ensure that all children are allowed to decide for themselves, and that indoctrination is avoided.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 09 Jun 22 9.34am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I have never said that either. I just am a realist. They are here, so now they are, we need to ensure they under no illusions about what living in the UK entails. I believe in tolerance, just so long as everyone participates and what they do impacts no-one but themselves. There are plenty of good people in every group but I probably take a tougher line with the bad guys than most.


The difference between you and me is that you see the change in Britain's demographic as some sort of inevitable process, were as I am certain that all processes involving humans are determined by human decisions.

You may argue that environmental factors influence decisions, and that would be correct. You might argue that the expansions of human population makes all this unavoidable.

I would argue that a species that has almost completely moulded the planet for its own ends can easily do something as simple as deciding who lives where. Britain has borders that can be easily protected. The only thing stopping that are the foolish decisions of men sitting around tables, not a form of manifest destiny.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 09 Jun 22 9.41am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

There is no secular dogma. That is an oxymoron. All it involves is ensuring religion does not dominate. It doesn't ban it, for those who wish to have it in their lives, but asks them to keep it away from those who don't and to ensure that all children are allowed to decide for themselves, and that indoctrination is avoided.

There are many subjects on which people are as dogmatic as any religious zealot; environmental issues, veganism, trans rights, animal rights as well as any number of political views.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 09 Jun 22 10.09am Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger


The difference between you and me is that you see the change in Britain's demographic as some sort of inevitable process, were as I am certain that all processes involving humans are determined by human decisions.

You may argue that environmental factors influence decisions, and that would be correct. You might argue that the expansions of human population makes all this unavoidable.

I would argue that a species that has almost completely moulded the planet for its own ends can easily do something as simple as deciding who lives where. Britain has borders that can be easily protected. The only thing stopping that are the foolish decisions of men sitting around tables, not a form of manifest destiny.

I agree with the views you have expressed in this thread Hrolf.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elpis's Profile Elpis Flag In a pub 09 Jun 22 12.00pm Send a Private Message to Elpis Add Elpis as a friend

The film is made by Muslims and the other muslims dont like the way it portrays certain historical figures . Its a Sunni and Shiite argument that has been going on for hundreds of years

There are no Blasphamy laws in the UK so the protesters should be politely told to go home as the show goes on ,sorry chaps but if you dont like it dont watch it , thats the law of the land you live in .

Cineworld needs to grow some or the mob will be back

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > 'The Lady of Heaven'