You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Chelsea vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread
June 6 2023 10.16am

Chelsea vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 15 of 19 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >

 

View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 15 Jan 23 9.27pm Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by Vaibow

I think for us, at least... we were very good at finding young talent, producing or luring in. But, times have changed and the standard now is much higher.

In my time, Dyer was the first and he was a young lad we snapped up. Armstrong, too.
Producing Ndah, Boxall, Watson, the overly hyped Williams, we've always loved an underdog youth player - taking in Morrison from spurs and giving them a chance as an example.

It's gone cold of late, but this is the thing, we are in the prem now, producing talent for the championship is one thing, producing talent to walk straight into the prem... it's rare - they need time to learn the trade and blood and that's often lower leagues.

That's why I would rather us use the prem money for the academy, and use that for our squad and a yo yo team. I haven't enjoyed this decade more than the last...


That cannot be possible without the EPL income, if you do not invest in the team then eventually you are caught out and its then relegation that has been proven. Without EPL income how are we going to fund the academy?.

The trouble is these days the talent pool is worldwide and you need the networking process in place to seek out that talent. In times now well gone by the pool was mainly the UK and teams even at the highest level were teams made up of mainly home grown talent, whereas today just look how multinational the teams are both in EPL and Championship.

We have to invest in the current squad just to protect our income and attract investors for our future. Clubs like Brighton and Brentford have overtaken us in the EPL even though we have been in EPL situ much longer than them both.

Sadly our problems go much higher up the chain than PV and until that's sorted the club will either go backwards or if we are lucky we may tread water a bit longer.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View crystal-purley's Profile crystal-purley Flag Purley 15 Jan 23 10.21pm Send a Private Message to crystal-purley Add crystal-purley as a friend

Originally posted by NE14T

We donít play as a team. Just a bunch of disjointed individuals who keep giving the ball away with poor touches and passes

I think weíre buggered. Parish doesnít appear to have any money. He made a bit in the 1990ís on IT agency staff but letís face it, heís no Rockefeller. The Yanks seem to have little appetite to spend and who can blame them when Freedman buys donkeys like Richards for £12m. . What a dumb arse purchase that was!

Maybe itís our time to go down. You gets whatÖ in our case, you donít pay for.

We stand a chance if Parish summons the guts to sack PV and his useless side-kick Osian Roberts. Get someone in who at least can make our average players play like a team.

Edited by NE14T (15 Jan 2023 5.53pm)

Edited by NE14T (15 Jan 2023 5.53pm)

I think that may have been Simon Jordan (assuming no-one else has spotted it)

 


Enjoying getting up later and not having someone who knows better than me (apart from the missus of course).

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 16 Jan 23 1.30am Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by NE14T

We donít play as a team. Just a bunch of disjointed individuals who keep giving the ball away with poor touches and passes

I think weíre buggered. Parish doesnít appear to have any money. He made a bit in the 1990ís on IT agency staff but letís face it, heís no Rockefeller. The Yanks seem to have little appetite to spend and who can blame them when Freedman buys donkeys like Richards for £12m. . What a dumb arse purchase that was!

Maybe itís our time to go down. You gets whatÖ in our case, you donít pay for.

We stand a chance if Parish summons the guts to sack PV and his useless side-kick Osian Roberts. Get someone in who at least can make our average players play like a team.

Edited by NE14T (15 Jan 2023 5.53pm)

Edited by NE14T (15 Jan 2023 5.53pm)

Not just your comment, but why focus your anger at Parish, he is not the sole arbiter of what goes on. In fact without his input, we would of been playing Championship football years ago.
If you consider the investment in Chelsea, just in the last 18 months, are they that much better than us. If it wasn't for a couple of good saves by their keeper and we went 1-0 up the result would of swing our way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 16 Jan 23 1.40am Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

Not just your comment, but why focus your anger at Parish, he is not the sole arbiter of what goes on. In fact without his input, we would of been playing Championship football years ago.
If you consider the investment in Chelsea, just in the last 18 months, are they that much better than us. If it wasn't for a couple of good saves by their keeper and we went 1-0 up the result would of swing our way.

We talking 8 time FA cup winning, 2 time champions league winning and 5 time prem winning Chelsea? Nah, they tin pot mate... palace should have done them over in the first half...

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View iheartcpfc's Profile iheartcpfc Flag SE25 16 Jan 23 3.14am Send a Private Message to iheartcpfc Add iheartcpfc as a friend

Originally posted by auk

Why so much negativity?

I thought it was a battling performance, and we were the team asking all the questions in the last 20 minutes.

I thought Tomkins did well, and Hughes added bite to the midfield.

You really have to say, what a three points against a poor Chelsea side that is for us!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 16 Jan 23 6.35am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Swindy

No chance, haven't you heard ? our ills, according to SP, are all going to be solved by a couple of loans, lol.

Reading between the lines Parish's comments about not buying anyone but merely taking a couple of loans means that the club is skint.

It doesn't matter if we do have a couple of billionaire investors if they are unwilling to put their hands in their pockets again or is Parish the problem with his relatively limited funds as if we need £50m he will be expected to provide £9m of that and he may not have it

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 16 Jan 23 7.59am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Reading between the lines Parish's comments about not buying anyone but merely taking a couple of loans means that the club is skint.

It doesn't matter if we do have a couple of billionaire investors if they are unwilling to put their hands in their pockets again or is Parish the problem with his relatively limited funds as if we need £50m he will be expected to provide £9m of that and he may not have it


When panic sets in fans will vent their spleen at whoever, no matter how unfair. In PL terms Parish is a pauper. We can't buy what we need (and I don't doubt for a minute that Parish is very aware of what we need) if the owners with the real money aren't prepared to fund the purchase.

One can only hope that if, as is likely, we have a couple of no-pointers against Man U and Newcastle, there might be a loosening of the purse strings enough to do something before the window closes. I'm not holding my breath, though.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 16 Jan 23 8.29am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Textor publicly called out Alan Nixon as not knowing what he was talking about after the journalist said we weren't going to spend any money. Parish on the other hand has publicly said we're going to look at loans, not purchases. Mixed messages coming out of our ownership.

Nearly every team has a bad patch every season. The owners have to decide whether this one is terminal or just part of the natural ebb and flow of the PL. Sometimes you just need a bit of good fortune to turn things around, like Saints had when they played us. Last season we played some of the best football I've seen in my 30 years of watching Palace. This season we've only seen that in patches, but our squad is undoubtedly weaker. Textor needs to be as good as his word and spend some money on us and not just on collecting football clubs.

On a side note, I do find it baffling that people have dragged up Pulis' ghost. Crouch has talked about how his tactics involved working on defence all week and just leaving the forwards to work it out for themselves with no coaching from him. Also he's a d*ck. A great firefighting job for us but his career since shows how limited he is. I have all the time in the world for Roy, but not his brand of football. We owe him huge gratitude for keeping us stable, but at times I found myself reaching for Dignitas' phone number during that final 18 months or so.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 16 Jan 23 8.37am Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by Vaibow

We talking 8 time FA cup winning, 2 time champions league winning and 5 time prem winning Chelsea? Nah, they tin pot mate... palace should have done them over in the first half...

You missed the point. Yes they are multiple trophy winners, but they struggled to beat us, without their keeper on form, who cost £70m they wouldn't of done.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 16 Jan 23 9.01am Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

The point about Pulis was not to acclaim him as a great manager or nice person.
It was to illustrate his (I think) valid point about what individuals bring to the team and this being a key factor in whether they were included in his selection.
If players were inconsistent or didnít follow team instructions they didnít play.
Even the best teams play with discipline to allow the off the cuff moments which get fans off their seats and can win games.
In my view we play too much off the cuff and with not enough discipline.
This is partly attributable to playing square pegs in round holes and also having too many players who do not contribute to the team on a consistent enough basis.
I would doubt Pulis would have made these errors which impact on our chances to achieve results .

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

Textor publicly called out Alan Nixon as not knowing what he was talking about after the journalist said we weren't going to spend any money. Parish on the other hand has publicly said we're going to look at loans, not purchases. Mixed messages coming out of our ownership.

Nearly every team has a bad patch every season. The owners have to decide whether this one is terminal or just part of the natural ebb and flow of the PL. Sometimes you just need a bit of good fortune to turn things around, like Saints had when they played us. Last season we played some of the best football I've seen in my 30 years of watching Palace. This season we've only seen that in patches, but our squad is undoubtedly weaker. Textor needs to be as good as his word and spend some money on us and not just on collecting football clubs.

On a side note, I do find it baffling that people have dragged up Pulis' ghost. Crouch has talked about how his tactics involved working on defence all week and just leaving the forwards to work it out for themselves with no coaching from him. Also he's a d*ck. A great firefighting job for us but his career since shows how limited he is. I have all the time in the world for Roy, but not his brand of football. We owe him huge gratitude for keeping us stable, but at times I found myself reaching for Dignitas' phone number during that final 18 months or so.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Slimey Toad's Profile Slimey Toad Flag Karsiyaka, North Cyprus 16 Jan 23 9.26am Send a Private Message to Slimey Toad Add Slimey Toad as a friend

The elephant in the room is that Vieria is out of his depth. One of the main skills of management is to take a bunch of average to quite good players and mould them into an effective fighting machine. Pulis and Allardyce can do this As someone has pointed out Pulis got a Championship team to 11th place.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 16 Jan 23 9.44am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Reading between the lines Parish's comments about not buying anyone but merely taking a couple of loans means that the club is skint.

It doesn't matter if we do have a couple of billionaire investors if they are unwilling to put their hands in their pockets again or is Parish the problem with his relatively limited funds as if we need £50m he will be expected to provide £9m of that and he may not have it

My thoughts on things was that these investors usually see a club like ours as just a business through which to generate some extra dosh and/or a 'hobby'. It's not even a lone venture as they have other clubs too. That would roughly translate as keeping us afloat in PL however any intentions to really build the club/team may not quite align to any grand aspirations of us as fans (fantastic team, new signings, silverware & stadium).

Parish originally bought Palace as part of a consortium himself and whilst maintaining his position as the figurehead, and a Palace fan, he's hardly Moneybags Q. Rockefeller.

All very sceptical and uninformed assumptions from me however would be interested to be educated on how far off the mark I am?

Edited by Nicholas91 (16 Jan 2023 9.46am)

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 15 of 19 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Chelsea vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread