You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Chelsea vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread
January 30 2023 10.37am

Chelsea vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 19 of 19 << First< 15 16 17 18 19

 

View rollercoaster's Profile rollercoaster Flag Cornwall 17 Jan 23 3.18pm Send a Private Message to rollercoaster Add rollercoaster as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

Regarding investors, it seems that they are not exactly queueing round the block to get a slice of the action, which I find strange, given our 10 seasons in the PL. Could it be that Parish refusing to relinquish overall control is a factor?

The ground is in desperate need of modernisation, the main stand will be condemned. I think it more likely that that is holding back investors and that our lack of income is holding back the team and everything else we would like the club to do.

Personally, I would even take the pain of relegation if the ground was updated so we get a better chance next time we go up.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 17 Jan 23 3.24pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by rollercoaster

The ground is in desperate need of modernisation, the main stand will be condemned. I think it more likely that that is holding back investors and that our lack of income is holding back the team and everything else we would like the club to do.

Personally, I would even take the pain of relegation if the ground was updated so we get a better chance next time we go up.

But Parish has stated that the £100m or whatever the figure was for the new stadium is secure, "ring fenced" I believe was the expression he used.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 17 Jan 23 4.24pm Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

1. Brentford and Brighton have sole owners, Matthew Bentham and Tony Bloom. Funding the clubs they support. And Bentham used to work for Bloom so they share that in common too. Yes, they have performed brilliantly over the last few years. Pound for pound they have outperformed just about everyone else in the EPL. They are the exceptions, not the rule. You continue to blame one person, Parish, in a situation whereby he is one of a group of four. Were you moaning when he attracted the initial investment from Harris and Blitzer ? Did you see the Textor investment as a bad thing ? Kenwright at Everton attracted a ultra wealthy investor ( now owner ) - has that guaranteed them success ?
Parish can't demand that the others put in any more money.

2. I've already accepted that the club has no money, and agree that the squad needs strengthening, so what's your point ?

3. Yes, the scouting at Brentford and Brighton is far more effective than ours and the majority of clubs in the EPL on a value basis.

4. I cite being a London club as being a factor in high wages and then you quote figures from Southampton and Brighton ! Yes, Parish signed the likes of Benteke and Sakho. Then agreed a huge wage for Zaha. How many people at the time thought they were errors in judgement ? With hindsight, I wonder if he would have sanctioned those deals for those two Liverpool signings ? - quite possibly not. And now you are laying the blame for Wickham's injuries on the Chairman - seriously ?

5. I said that part of the motivation behind the Academy was to compete for the best local talent, not solely focus on it. And there are no guarantees of success nor should there be a reliance on it for supplying players for the first team. And I don't think there is - the stats you quote speak for themselves. But you can't do nothing. A bit like me, you like to make Brighton comparisons - take a look at their Academy facilities.

6. Look, you clearly do have a problem with the development. Take a simple risk assessment to decide whether it's a go/no go. You say it would make sense ''to ensure that we have a quality and consistent mid table EPL squad in place ''. Have a look at our placings for the last 10 years. In some of those seasons we have looked over our shoulder at certain points, but we have been largely clear from relegation worries. Frozen at this precise moment, during a bad run of results, you're getting cold feet. So what do you want to do ? Put the project on hold and then bring it back to life if we win a few games in a row ? It doesn't work like that.

7. Do you really believe everything you read in the Press ?

8. Yep, underinvested in, agreed. See previous comments about our ownership structure and finances. Again you choose to blame one person. It's becoming clear that unless you have investors that are willing to speculate by pumping multi millions into clubs, it's becoming increasingly difficult to compete. And even that doesn't always work out. You show me Brentford and Brighton, I'll show you Everton and West Ham.

We have to agree, to disagree on this occasion, Parish is not a quality Chairmen imho and needs to move on or the club will be relegated. He set up the investors and he has to live with it and it's consequences. My fear remain looking at the fixtures over the next few weeks, that we could well be relegated this year (hope not!) and then all this will become academic. As for the press comments there is never any smoke without fire, sometimes they get right, other times they do not. Thanks for the interesting discussion.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 17 Jan 23 4.30pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

Regarding investors, it seems that they are not exactly queueing round the block to get a slice of the action, which I find strange, given our 10 seasons in the PL. Could it be that Parish refusing to relinquish overall control is a factor?

Maybe investors have the inside knowledge , on the fact that compared with almost every other club with the crowd potential and ambition to expand, Palace , are constantly held back by pressures and conditions introduced from outside of the clubs immediate control. Itís not new itís happened time and time again over many years.
The list of other clubs modernising without to much hassle is as long as your arm and getting longer. And Palace begin to stick out like a sore thumb in this regard. Palace are a Premier league club with huge supporter potential. That potential has always been there, yet that potential was never fully encouraged, and maybe millionaire ,billionaire investors know the reason why.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Online Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 17 Jan 23 4.32pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

We have to agree, to disagree on this occasion, Parish is not a quality Chairmen imho and needs to move on or the club will be relegated. He set up the investors and he has to live with it and it's consequences. My fear remain looking at the fixtures over the next few weeks, that we could well be relegated this year (hope not!) and then all this will become academic. As for the press comments there is never any smoke without fire, sometimes they get right, other times they do not. Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Thanks to you as well Den, I hope we didnít bore the rest of HOL too much.

Hereís hoping for some points and players soon !

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 17 Jan 23 4.50pm Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

Den and Neillo, you should be ashamed of yourselves. This won't do at all.

What are you thinking? Having a sensible, well argued disagreement and then wishing each other well?

Where are the insults? Where are the brickbats? Where's the unending determination to ignore each other's valid points and the concentration on repeating your points over and over again? Neither of you even claim to have been supporting Palace for longer than the other one. All very disappointing.

This is the HOL you know, not some Gentlemen's Club.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Online Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 17 Jan 23 5.19pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by mezzer

Den and Neillo, you should be ashamed of yourselves. This won't do at all.

What are you thinking? Having a sensible, well argued disagreement and then wishing each other well?

Where are the insults? Where are the brickbats? Where's the unending determination to ignore each other's valid points and the concentration on repeating your points over and over again? Neither of you even claim to have been supporting Palace for longer than the other one. All very disappointing.

This is the HOL you know, not some Gentlemen's Club.

F**K OFF ANDY !

Is that better ?

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 17 Jan 23 10.34pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

I think Parish said in one of his interviews that it was inevitable that we would be relegated at some point ?

It sort of stands to reason that this when the academy would become more critical in producing players of first team level or there would be greater opportunity for graduates.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 17 Jan 23 10.40pm Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

F**K OFF ANDY !

Is that better ?

Much

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 17 Jan 23 10.47pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Nobody has really concentrated on the big issue coming out the game which is Anderson has a fairly serious calf injury. We are truly fcuked for the foreseeable future as our replacement Tomkins is not up to the job and PV clearly doesnít fancy our multi million purchase.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 19 of 19 << First< 15 16 17 18 19

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Chelsea vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread