You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace v Sheffield United Match thread
June 24 2024 11.39am

Crystal Palace v Sheffield United Match thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 27 of 29 < 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

 

Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 31 Jan 24 5.15pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

Yes, I agree with everything there. I love Hughes but still doubt him however equally make you right and thought he did very well yesterday.

On the Olise and Eze thing that may well be all Roy's doing but even if so, I wouldn't regard it as managerial genius. It may equally just be reflective of the relationship between the two and their mutual footballing understanding however.

Agree on Hughes - he's not perfect and probably not good enough against better sides, but he was very impactful yesterday I thought.

Absolutely Eze/Olise's understanding is a massive factor in it, and to be clear, allowing your most creative winger space to deliver crosses and ensuring there are bodies in the box when he does, is a really low bar in terms of crediting a manager, but I thought I'd try and offer some balance!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 31 Jan 24 5.18pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

I think it's an enormous stretch, to the point of silliness really.

A player of Eze's quality will score goals like that all through his career, under a whole range of managers - the common denominator is Eze's talent.

Right. I mean, you almost never hear any talk of a manager giving a talented player confidence to express their ability....

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Plaistow Eagle's Profile Plaistow Eagle Flag 31 Jan 24 5.19pm Send a Private Message to Plaistow Eagle Add Plaistow Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

If that's true then we should also conclude that professional footballers know how to defend, yet many on here blame somehow the manager for the goals we let in. Again, the players get the credit for the positives, the manager the blame for the negatives.

Of course we looked a lot worse without Eze and Olise. To suggest it could be otherwise, or that not maintaining the same level of play without them is a fault of Roy's just doesn't make sense. Only the biggest clubs can make subs to key players without dropping off.

Read your comments with interest - think we can see and deduce why youíve aptly named yourself ďthe big toe puntĒ..!!

This probably also explains why - you seem such an avid supporter of Roy, his negative tactics and blatant disregard of potential in favour of proven mediocrity.

You mention taking off Eze and Olise - so Roy has a choice he has Ahamada and Franca sitting on the bench - in my view the natural replacements/does he do that no he brings on Schlupp and Ozoh - no problem with Ozoh, in fact did/always does well.

But Schlupp - he looks a stone overweight and gave us absolutely nothing.

So in those terms Roy has just destroyed our attacking capabilities - and just gone for defending the lead and inviting the bottom team in the league to attack us - on the basis that we can hold out for the winÖ!!

OK last night it worked out but Roy has done this on so many occasions and it hasnít worked..!!

So my issue is - we have all this talent but Roy is stubbornly ignoring them - if he did give them more opportunities - Iím sure we and otters wouldnít just be talking about Olise and Eze - theyíd also be talking about Franca, Ahamada and Ozoh..!!

Looks like we now have another bright young talent coming in, in Wharton - be interesting to see if Roy plays him or he gets the same treatment - ignored in favour of a very average, mediocre and simply poor Hughes..!!

Thatís my issue with Roy - in that a better Manager would be getting far more out of this squad than Roy is currently achieving.

Thatís why Iím personally blaming Roy for us underachieving his season on the basis of the potential he has at hand..!!

COYP

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 31 Jan 24 5.20pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Ive been sitting here dwelling on last night this afternoon and realised that for us it was a great night. Understandably many of us on here have gone all neggie because of recent happenings or not happenings.
But face it, we scored three (not one...not two....but three) fantastic goals last night.

We got three points. Im hearing that Olise and Eze are ok. And maybe, just maybe we are about to secure our second signing of the week who by all accounts is a real serious player.

So my mood has had an upswing. Such is a day in the life of being a Palace fan. Never a dull moment.

Long may goals like that keep coming, and you never know we might score from a corner before the season is up.
Oh and lets not forget that proud handsome Holmesdale crossbar that was our ultimate fortress just when our hearts were in our mouths.

Edited by dreamwaverider (31 Jan 2024 5.22pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 31 Jan 24 5.21pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Right. I mean, you almost never hear any talk of a manager giving a talented player confidence to express their ability....

You've become a complete mirror of what you were rallying against on this thread - desperate to credit the manager for everything and anything that happens.

It doesn't make any more sense your way round.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 31 Jan 24 5.25pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

You've become a complete mirror of what you were rallying against on this thread - desperate to credit the manager for everything and anything that happens.

It doesn't make any more sense your way round.

Nonsense. It is standard, long established football 'wisdom', to the point of cliche, that one of a managers key attributes is the ability to nurture confidence in players. I am applying the exact same test to Roy as is applied to so very many others.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 31 Jan 24 5.27pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by Plaistow Eagle

Read your comments with interest - think we can see and deduce why youíve aptly named yourself ďthe big toe puntĒ..!!

This probably also explains why - you seem such an avid supporter of Roy, his negative tactics and blatant disregard of potential in favour of proven mediocrity.

You mention taking off Eze and Olise - so Roy has a choice he has Ahamada and Franca sitting on the bench - in my view the natural replacements/does he do that no he brings on Schlupp and Ozoh - no problem with Ozoh, in fact did/always does well.

But Schlupp - he looks a stone overweight and gave us absolutely nothing.

So in those terms Roy has just destroyed our attacking capabilities - and just gone for defending the lead and inviting the bottom team in the league to attack us - on the basis that we can hold out for the winÖ!!

OK last night it worked out but Roy has done this on so many occasions and it hasnít worked..!!

So my issue is - we have all this talent but Roy is stubbornly ignoring them - if he did give them more opportunities - Iím sure we and otters wouldnít just be talking about Olise and Eze - theyíd also be talking about Franca, Ahamada and Ozoh..!!

Looks like we now have another bright young talent coming in, in Wharton - be interesting to see if Roy plays him or he gets the same treatment - ignored in favour of a very average, mediocre and simply poor Hughes..!!

Thatís my issue with Roy - in that a better Manager would be getting far more out of this squad than Roy is currently achieving.

Thatís why Iím personally blaming Roy for us underachieving his season on the basis of the potential he has at hand..!!

COYP

You've made this point before, that Roy holds back players with potential. He's given game time to Ozoh at 18 years of age, to Franca at 19, and Ahamada didn't manage to convince Vieira any more than he's convinced Hodgson.

We are not sitting on some goldmine of top class talent.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 31 Jan 24 5.28pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Nonsense. It is standard, long established football 'wisdom', to the point of cliche, that one of a managers key attributes is the ability to nurture confidence in players. I am applying the exact same test to Roy as is applied to so very many others.

So is it Roy's fault every time a player misses a shot as well? For not nurturing enough confidence?

JP had that one on his left last night that missed the target, I can't believe Roy did that to him. Disgraceful management.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 31 Jan 24 5.33pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

So is it Roy's fault every time a player misses a shot as well? For not nurturing enough confidence?

JP had that one on his left last night that missed the target, I can't believe Roy did that to him. Disgraceful management.

Now who's being silly? For one thing you are mistaking a player failing in the attempt with him having the confidence to try it, but that's not really the point.

The development of Eze and Olise over time under Hodgsons management is plain to see. To suggest the manager has no part to play in that is ridiculous.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 31 Jan 24 5.37pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Now who's being silly? For one thing you are mistaking a player failing in the attempt with him having the confidence to try it, but that's not really the point.

The development of Eze and Olise over time under Hodgsons management is plain to see. To suggest the manager has no part to play in that is ridiculous.

Ah, so Roy deserves praise for all shots, whether successful or not. Wonderful stuff.

I have in no way suggested Roy hasn't contributed to Eze and Olise's overall development - don't move the goalposts now your original point is drowning.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 31 Jan 24 5.39pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

This thread has developed into a wider discussion around Roy, as opposed to the match v Sheffield United.
Nonetheless, I have found the posts this afternoon to be balanced, interesting and respectful.

Trying to be objective, I was happy that Roy returned this season.
I was persuaded by the argument that the reason his last spell had ended so miserably was because he didnít have the resources.
ĎGive him the players and see what he can doí ran the argument and this seemed to have merit through the form at the end of last season and I anticipated this continuing this season.
If it ainít broke why fix it?

There are mitigating factors this season with injuries to key players and lack of depth in the squad.
It would seem unreasonable to expect us to replicate the form from the end of last season given these factors.

However, even with lesser resources itís difficult to justify and accept the lack of basics in terms of organisation , structure, set piece preparation, alternative tactical approach and some bizarre player selections.
This is in contrast to Royís last couple of seasons of his previous tenure where at least we looked organised, even if the football wasnít great.
I canít think of one player whoís enhanced their reputation or improved under Roy this season.
Normally at this stage you would have 2 or 3 players as potential candidates for player of the season.
I canít think of one other than possibly Olise and heís hardly played so itís hardly an accurate reflection of this season to include him.

I think the decision to bring back Roy has not really worked and I was incorrect in wanting him to manage us this season.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Plaistow Eagle's Profile Plaistow Eagle Flag 31 Jan 24 5.40pm Send a Private Message to Plaistow Eagle Add Plaistow Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

You've made this point before, that Roy holds back players with potential. He's given game time to Ozoh at 18 years of age, to Franca at 19, and Ahamada didn't manage to convince Vieira any more than he's convinced Hodgson.

We are not sitting on some goldmine of top class talent.

Totally disagree - they simply havenít been afforded sufficient opportunities and are being overlooked in favour of seasoned proven mediocrity, negative tactics and poor Management..!!

Consequently their development in terms of fulfilling their undoubted potential is being stunted and constrained..!!

Thatís why irrespective of last nights result Roy has got to go..!!

COYP

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 27 of 29 < 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace v Sheffield United Match thread