You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > What Have the Owners done Wrong?
May 22 2024 7.05pm

What Have the Owners done Wrong?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View davehuggins's Profile davehuggins Flag 03 Feb 24 9.32pm Send a Private Message to davehuggins Add davehuggins as a friend

IMO the owners/administrators have continued "firefighting" for to long. Bad summer window not adding more depth and wrongly giving RH another year. We need direction with this young squad and IMO again RH is NOT it. When did we last score from a corner? Our set pieces are a shamble both offensive & defensive. In general SP and co have done a brilliant job but things should change now.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Goal Machine's Profile Goal Machine Flag The Cronx 03 Feb 24 10.24pm Send a Private Message to Goal Machine Add Goal Machine as a friend

Weíre going through a rough patch, but looking at the bigger picture, we continue to punch above our weight. The frustration is the boredom of midtable and some fans rightly or wrongly expect more.

Todays performance was poor, but again, like most of the season, we were without our two key attacking players. Thatís no one fault, just bad luck.

The only question marks for me are the signings of Henderson and Franca. The intention was there but neither signing has worked out yet.

I just hope Parish doesnít think these confusingly worded banners represent the views of all Palace fans.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View orpingtoneagle's Profile orpingtoneagle Flag Orpington 03 Feb 24 10.47pm Send a Private Message to orpingtoneagle Add orpingtoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

Weíre going through a rough patch, but looking at the bigger picture, we continue to punch above our weight. The frustration is the boredom of midtable and some fans rightly or wrongly expect more.

Todays performance was poor, but again, like most of the season, we were without our two key attacking players. Thatís no one fault, just bad luck.

The only question marks for me are the signings of Henderson and Franca. The intention was there but neither signing has worked out yet.

I just hope Parish doesnít think these confusingly worded banners represent the views of all Palace fans.

We are not going through a bad patch we are reaping the results of years of mismanagement on and off the field.

We have an ownership structure where the man having all the control has no money and the man with money has no control.

We have a chairman so obsessed with a main stand rebuild that we can't afford and will never get built.

We have a manager who should have retired ages ago who has little grasp of the modern game and who steadfastly refuses to play anyone from our much hailed academy unless he has to and clearly has no say on transfers as he simply sticks with the same old warhorses.

We set up to play a defensive game yet concede goals often within a couple of minutes of kick off

We are heading for relegation when we will quickly undo all the benefits that should have arisen from a decade in the top flight.

Or maybe it's just a bad run...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View fish mitten's Profile fish mitten Flag Chelmsford 03 Feb 24 10.50pm Send a Private Message to fish mitten Add fish mitten as a friend

What have the board done wrong? Crikey could be here all night.
Decided to invest in a strategy of youth when most of the time players are not ready yet. Decided we could go 3 seasons with two ageing right backs and one left back. Decided that for a season and a half we could cope with two bang average forwards and not get in a replacement for Benteke. Let our hugely influential left winger leave for nothing and not replace him for a season and expect what should be a squad player in Schlupp become his replacement.

Spunk £15 million on a 19 year old kid with about 20 appearances in the Brazilian league. Buy cheap deals in Plange and Ebiowei who are probably league 1 standard at best.

Buying youngsters is fine. But we also needed players for now. Under Roy last time we had a ageing team. We decided to invest in the future but in the mean time we needed some players for now. The Board failed and have been in a malaise thinking two injury prone mercurial talents would be enough.

Has Roy made mistakes. Absolutely, but Christ heís been given a s*** hand and even worse luck with injuries. He shouldnít have been reappointed, but was by a lacklustre and incompetent board, who deserve relegation for their failure.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CpfcWeTrust1's Profile CpfcWeTrust1 Flag 03 Feb 24 11.22pm Send a Private Message to CpfcWeTrust1 Add CpfcWeTrust1 as a friend

Originally posted by fish mitten

What have the board done wrong? Crikey could be here all night.
Decided to invest in a strategy of youth when most of the time players are not ready yet. Decided we could go 3 seasons with two ageing right backs and one left back. Decided that for a season and a half we could cope with two bang average forwards and not get in a replacement for Benteke. Let our hugely influential left winger leave for nothing and not replace him for a season and expect what should be a squad player in Schlupp become his replacement.

Spunk £15 million on a 19 year old kid with about 20 appearances in the Brazilian league. Buy cheap deals in Plange and Ebiowei who are probably league 1 standard at best.

Buying youngsters is fine. But we also needed players for now. Under Roy last time we had a ageing team. We decided to invest in the future but in the mean time we needed some players for now. The Board failed and have been in a malaise thinking two injury prone mercurial talents would be enough.

Has Roy made mistakes. Absolutely, but Christ heís been given a s*** hand and even worse luck with injuries. He shouldnít have been reappointed, but was by a lacklustre and incompetent board, who deserve relegation for their failure.

It's lucky you're not in charge if you can't see the obvious reasoning why they are buying young players and how it ties in with FFP and building a squad.

Palace for god knows how many seasons have bought players to keep us in the league whilst treading water with FFP and staying in the league because we sell next to nobody. We have overspent on wages and we can't get out of this unless we have assets in young players as we don't have a stadium that brings in much revenue in the grand scheme.

This has been seen to work with Brighton and shows in Olise, Guehi and Eze...

It isn't the boards fault that the doddering manager plays players with injuries, players out of position and young players kept on the bench.

Guaita left the club so they did need a second goal keeper and SJ did get injured. I dont agree with the amount spent nor do I think Henderson is much good but Roy keeps playing him.


Do I think the boards made mistakes, yes. Do I think over Parish tenureship he's done a bad job, no...not at all.

Roy needs to go. I don't believe this team hasn't got it in them to keep us up. Just not with Roy at the helm.

I also don't think these banners are helping the team keep us up and are distracting and nonsensical.

It's football, we have no given right to stay up, like any other team.

I'd love to know what messiah of a chairman the banner holders feel are going to hop on in.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 03 Feb 24 11.35pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by CpfcWeTrust1

It's lucky you're not in charge if you can't see the obvious reasoning why they are buying young players and how it ties in with FFP and building a squad.

Palace for god knows how many seasons have bought players to keep us in the league whilst treading water with FFP and staying in the league because we sell next to nobody. We have overspent on wages and we can't get out of this unless we have assets in young players as we don't have a stadium that brings in much revenue in the grand scheme.

This has been seen to work with Brighton and shows in Olise, Guehi and Eze...

It isn't the boards fault that the doddering manager plays players with injuries, players out of position and young players kept on the bench
.

Guaita left the club so they did need a second goal keeper and SJ did get injured. I dont agree with the amount spent nor do I think Henderson is much good but Roy keeps playing him.


Do I think the boards made mistakes, yes. Do I think over Parish tenureship he's done a bad job, no...not at all.

Roy needs to go. I don't believe this team hasn't got it in them to keep us up. Just not with Roy at the helm.

I also don't think these banners are helping the team keep us up and are distracting and nonsensical.

It's football, we have no given right to stay up, like any other team.

I'd love to know what messiah of a chairman the banner holders feel are going to hop on in.

The board hired the manager who they knew too well. It's not just the keeper but franca as well.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 03 Feb 24 11.43pm Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

Originally posted by FinchleyEagle

Serious question.

The set-up in the boardroom seems a little strange, but whether this has been to the detriment of the club or not, I don't know.

They've built a great academy and spent what little money we have on young potential while still trying to get the ground improved.

In the last couple of years we've made some great signings.

When I consider this against what I want owners to do, it seems pretty good.

Right now, I think they're showing too much faith in Roy, but that's a judgement call and I have no idea who would be available instead.

The only problem for me right now is that the football is terrible, the player selection is poor and the players are not improving. A good manager always improves whatever he has, see Howe and Emery in recent years. That sits squarely with the manager.

So my only real problem is that the owners are putting up with this terrible team performance. What am I missing?

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 03 Feb 24 11.46pm Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

So.. in my opinion, they bought the club to save its be local heroes... sell it on to make a little profit.

Palace went up earlier than planned and Parish fell in love with being a prem chairman, the gulf is huge.... the others knew it was out of their depth and sold up.

Parish stayed, and got investors to keep the club in the prem and his own ego alive.

Show me a prem chairman with no money running a club spending others money???

Originally posted by Vaibow

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CpfcWeTrust1's Profile CpfcWeTrust1 Flag 03 Feb 24 11.46pm Send a Private Message to CpfcWeTrust1 Add CpfcWeTrust1 as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

The board hired the manager who they knew too well. It's not just the keeper but franca as well.

What exactly has Franca done so wrong apart from not being selected?

There's no crystal ball DF has got for the young players, if he comes good once he gets a run of games then everybody will keep quiet again. For now he's been played whenever we are out the game or for 10 mins. Not exactly a good run out for him is it?

As far as I can see, he looks half decent.

As for the managerial appointment. Yes, I agree the board hired the manager but on reflection from how the second half of last season went with Roy, you can see a reasoning for it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 03 Feb 24 11.52pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by CpfcWeTrust1

What exactly has Franca done so wrong apart from not being selected?

There's no crystal ball DF has got for the young players, if he comes good once he gets a run of games then everybody will keep quiet again. For now he's been played whenever we are out the game or for 10 mins. Not exactly a good run out for him is it?

As far as I can see, he looks half decent.

As for the managerial appointment. Yes, I agree the board hired the manager but on reflection from how the second half of last season went with Roy, you can see a reasoning for it.

My issue with franca is the signing happening with Roy in charge. Or Roy in charge of Franca. We have a strategy that doesn't fit with the manager, and at £18mil we can't afford to waste with other holes in the squad.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CpfcWeTrust1's Profile CpfcWeTrust1 Flag 03 Feb 24 11.57pm Send a Private Message to CpfcWeTrust1 Add CpfcWeTrust1 as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

My issue with franca is the signing happening with Roy in charge. Or Roy in charge of Franca. We have a strategy that doesn't fit with the manager, and at £18mil we can't afford to waste with other holes in the squad.

I'm of the opinion that DF and the board expected Roy to bother trying out Franca and didn't expect Roy to yet again stick with the same group every season.

Same goes with Ahemada. I havent seen him be too awful and yet we see nothing of him either.

Your view I understand and its a fair argument but I just don't understand Roy's logic nor do I feel he has the fight in him anymore.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 04 Feb 24 12.16am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

There isnít a straightforward answer to this.

There is a lot on and off the field that doesnít feel right.

But really thatís all we have - perception. We donít know the detail of what really goes on within the ownership.

We have two passive investors that seem content to have Parish run the club. The other investor appears to be at loggerheads with the others and who himself doesnít inspire confidence when you look at the other clubs heís involved with.

So you could lay all responsibility at Steve Parishís door as being the one that ultimately calls the shots.

Where I think he has it wrong is that he has left the club in a limbo state when re-appointing Hodgson for another season. How was that a forward move ?

For a club with little money , the club found around £60m in the last two transfer windows. But we fall between two possible strategies ; building a team around our major playing assets or sell one to improve the strength and depth of the squad.

I think we are heading towards the latter, but for the moment we arenít doing either.

I commend Steve Parish for what he has achieved since 2010. But I think heís going through a period where his decision making is questionable. I think heís hanging around to oversee the new stand completed and his 60th birthday before he looks for the exit.

For now though heís taken a gamble on just getting through this season. That may come back to bite him

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > What Have the Owners done Wrong?