You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace v Luton match thread
April 14 2024 2.19am

Crystal Palace v Luton match thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 18 of 21 < 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >

 

View Wilbraham413's Profile Wilbraham413 Flag 11 Mar 24 1.41am Send a Private Message to Wilbraham413 Add Wilbraham413 as a friend

As soon as Townsend set up to cross, and I saw the Luton players in the box, I literally said out loud, "Oh no, here it comes". When the ball went in the net, my wife looked at me, like waiting for me to rant and rave. I didn't even react, as it was so predictable and expected.

I just shrugged in despair, and said, "A draw doesn't help Luton that much." Which is true, and really the only positive thing I can say after yet another example of the endless kick in the balls that this season has provided. I'm just numb to it.

This season sucks. Everything we touch turns to sh-t. Let's just get this season over with and hope that 24/25 isn't like this again.

 


2017 Feb. (Van Aanholt) Palace 1 - 0 Middlesboro
2018 Jan. (Sako) Palace 1 - 0 Burnley
2019 May (Batshuayi, Batshuayi, OG, Van Aanholt, Townsend) Palace 5 - 3 Bournemouth
2020 Feb. (Van Aanholt) Palace 1 - 0 Newcastle

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View viveasheagle's Profile viveasheagle Flag perth 11 Mar 24 5.13am Send a Private Message to viveasheagle Add viveasheagle as a friend

I was overall pretty pleased with the performance. JP should have had a few more - he rounded the keeper beautifully and got the elevation on his chip to clear the keeper but dragged it wide. He also had 2 headers within the 6 yard box from set piece situations which on another day go in but one of those was the ball hitting the goalkeeper as oppose the goal keeper making a save. Edouard shot hit the bar and could easily have gone in.
Some signs of improvement in our set piece play's as we are at least creating some good chances. Anyone else feel a tad uncomfortable with us delivering the 2 corners in injury time straight into the box rather than playing it short and playing keep ball near the corner flag ?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 11 Mar 24 7.53am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by grumpymort


At this stage of the season you do not do retraining like that it would have negative effect.

It's internationals fair amount of the players wont even be available.

Whenever Palace have had a break they come back awful.

But you can up fitness levels, unless you are claiming you know more than Glasner and his team. I think we will probably only lose 3 to Internationals, Andersen and the 2 Colombians. Ayew wonít go as slight injury. Canít see Guehi and Eze joining England.
Watch this space, they will come back fitter and more organised

Edited by Spiderman (11 Mar 2024 7.53am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 11 Mar 24 8.14am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

I thought I'd start the week as optimistically as possible after a brief hiatus to allow emotions to deflate.

I still think that perhaps naively our board thought Hodgson was a banker to almost have a 'season off' for us to just get out of the way whilst attention was given to whatever else needed seeing to this year. If Glasner was apparently lined up already then that would bolster my opinion as next season was outlined for anything remotely resembling ambition.

As it can so easily and did happen, football doesn't always work that simply. Injuries to the spine of our team, some of our most important players and the two focal points of our attack relegated us from comfortable in the league (albeit without ambition) to relegation candidates. A change/action was therefore needed when the previous manager looked to be struggling for solutions and has arrived.

The hangover and already existing conditions are still playing their part. We have key players out, fitness/morale/mentality remains an issue and we have a manager trying to implement a very specific and unfamiliar system with our depleted, rusty and somewhat thrown together squad comprising of 'those who still remain'.

The optimism is that relegation, whilst not off the cards, seems a bit more unlikely. The very specific system the manager is trying to implement looks to have a least changed the identity of our team from an almost archaic and ineffective unit to one that will deliver more exciting and effective football, especially with a better quality of player.

I would struggle to think that the somewhat unforeseen arrival of a manager, with prestige and reputation from the continent, would coincide with us having no money/no intention to spend any money this summer. I am hoping that this season will end with us safe, Glasner's system will be installed and supported by the return of our best players (who are out) and further investment.

This season seemed almost earmarked to be an absolutely sh!te one however a dawn may well be on the horizon. COYP

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 11 Mar 24 8.18am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I thought I'd start the week as optimistically as possible after a brief hiatus to allow emotions to deflate.

I still think that perhaps naively our board thought Hodgson was a banker to almost have a 'season off' for us to just get out of the way whilst attention was given to whatever else needed seeing to this year. If Glasner was apparently lined up already then that would bolster my opinion as next season was outlined for anything remotely resembling ambition.

As it can so easily and did happen, football doesn't always work that simply. Injuries to the spine of our team, some of our most important players and the two focal points of our attack relegated us from comfortable in the league (albeit without ambition) to relegation candidates. A change/action was therefore needed when the previous manager looked to be struggling for solutions and has arrived.

The hangover and already existing conditions are still playing their part. We have key players out, fitness/morale/mentality remains an issue and we have a manager trying to implement a very specific and unfamiliar system with our depleted, rusty and somewhat thrown together squad comprising of 'those who still remain'.

The optimism is that relegation, whilst not off the cards, seems a bit more unlikely. The very specific system the manager is trying to implement looks to have a least changed the identity of our team from an almost archaic and ineffective unit to one that will deliver more exciting and effective football, especially with a better quality of player.

I would struggle to think that the somewhat unforeseen arrival of a manager, with prestige and reputation from the continent, would coincide with us having no money/no intention to spend any money this summer. I am hoping that this season will end with us safe, Glasner's system will be installed and supported by the return of our best players (who are out) and further investment.

This season seemed almost earmarked to be an absolutely sh!te one however a dawn may well be on the horizon. COYP

Been supporting Palace since the 1960's I think your comment refers to every season.

With Palace it's always jam tomorrow, I doubt that will change in my lifetime.

Edited by Badger11 (11 Mar 2024 8.18am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace chick's Profile palace chick Flag South Croydon 11 Mar 24 8.30am Send a Private Message to palace chick Add palace chick as a friend

Originally posted by viveasheagle

I was overall pretty pleased with the performance. JP should have had a few more - he rounded the keeper beautifully and got the elevation on his chip to clear the keeper but dragged it wide. He also had 2 headers within the 6 yard box from set piece situations which on another day go in but one of those was the ball hitting the goalkeeper as oppose the goal keeper making a save. Edouard shot hit the bar and could easily have gone in.
Some signs of improvement in our set piece play's as we are at least creating some good chances. Anyone else feel a tad uncomfortable with us delivering the 2 corners in injury time straight into the box rather than playing it short and playing keep ball near the corner flag ?

Said the exact same thing to my friend next to me about the corners. Should be playing these short and seeing the game out?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 11 Mar 24 8.57am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I thought I'd start the week as optimistically as possible after a brief hiatus to allow emotions to deflate.

I still think that perhaps naively our board thought Hodgson was a banker to almost have a 'season off' for us to just get out of the way whilst attention was given to whatever else needed seeing to this year. If Glasner was apparently lined up already then that would bolster my opinion as next season was outlined for anything remotely resembling ambition.

As it can so easily and did happen, football doesn't always work that simply. Injuries to the spine of our team, some of our most important players and the two focal points of our attack relegated us from comfortable in the league (albeit without ambition) to relegation candidates. A change/action was therefore needed when the previous manager looked to be struggling for solutions and has arrived.

The hangover and already existing conditions are still playing their part. We have key players out, fitness/morale/mentality remains an issue and we have a manager trying to implement a very specific and unfamiliar system with our depleted, rusty and somewhat thrown together squad comprising of 'those who still remain'.

The optimism is that relegation, whilst not off the cards, seems a bit more unlikely. The very specific system the manager is trying to implement looks to have a least changed the identity of our team from an almost archaic and ineffective unit to one that will deliver more exciting and effective football, especially with a better quality of player.

I would struggle to think that the somewhat unforeseen arrival of a manager, with prestige and reputation from the continent, would coincide with us having no money/no intention to spend any money this summer. I am hoping that this season will end with us safe, Glasner's system will be installed and supported by the return of our best players (who are out) and further investment.

This season seemed almost earmarked to be an absolutely sh!te one however a dawn may well be on the horizon. COYP

I've stayed away from footie and Hol for the same reasons!

Overall it was a good performance.

Our corners looked more dangerous
Wharton kept Barkley out of the game
Wonderful goal by JP
Created a hatful of other chances
We pressed high, and kept looking for the 2nd goal

20secs away from a really dominant performance. Lots and lots of positives.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palacesince64's Profile Palacesince64 Flag Edinburgh 11 Mar 24 9.41am Send a Private Message to Palacesince64 Add Palacesince64 as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

But you can up fitness levels, unless you are claiming you know more than Glasner and his team. I think we will probably only lose 3 to Internationals, Andersen and the 2 Colombians. Ayew wonít go as slight injury. Canít see Guehi and Eze joining England.
Watch this space, they will come back fitter and more organised

Edited by Spiderman (11 Mar 2024 7.53am)

We absolutely have to comeback fitter. Ok we should have scored more and put the Luton game to bed but the stats donít lie. 21 of our 48 goals conceded (44%) have come after the 75th minute. That has to be either weíre not fit enough to last 90+ minutes, our substitutes arenít good enough, or both.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 11 Mar 24 9.44am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Glasner has not had any real time to do that much, but I do think the defence looks more organised, especially on set-pieces. Once again the lack of quality from the bench in midfield probably cost us. I also think Luton got lucky, even though I didn't think we were that great. Defensively they've looked shaky for quite a while now and have been quite lucky not to be on the receiving end of a proper thumping. I like their spirit but I struggle to see them getting more than another 10 points this season.

If the rumour is true and Olise returns to training this week then that is huge. Being able to rotate Ayew, Eze and Olise is a whole different ball game to having to bring on Ahamada. I said against Spurs that Eduoard looked more lively off the bench and the same was true again on Saturday. If Glasner can get him working harder then that would be huge as despite JPM's valiant showing I would argue OE is the better finisher. I actually think having Schlupp back could be a boost as left-wing back off the bench for the last 20/30 minutes might suit him. Nothing fancy, just get up and down the line, plus he can shoot, head and cross better than TM.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 11 Mar 24 9.47am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Been supporting Palace since the 1960's I think your comment refers to every season.

With Palace it's always jam tomorrow, I doubt that will change in my lifetime.

Edited by Badger11 (11 Mar 2024 8.18am)

Indeed

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 11 Mar 24 11.04am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by beak

I miss Roy.

I don't.
We created more decent goal chances on Saturday than we would have done in 10 games of Royball.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eagle Black.'s Profile Eagle Black. Flag South Croydon 11 Mar 24 11.22am Send a Private Message to Eagle Black. Add Eagle Black. as a friend

Originally posted by doombear

I don't.
We created more decent goal chances on Saturday than we would have done in 10 games of Royball.

Me neither, Rip Royball,out with the old in with the new.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 18 of 21 < 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace v Luton match thread