You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Can we adopt our 1861 date of birth ?
May 24 2019 11.09pm

Can we adopt our 1861 date of birth ?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Lombardinho's Profile Lombardinho Flag London 19 Dec 18 12.41pm Send a Private Message to Lombardinho Add Lombardinho as a friend

Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical

Bumping this thread back as a new book has recently been published, called Palace At The Palace, which, for the first time, covers the entire history of the Crystal Palace Company, the company which owned and managed our spiritual home, the Crystal Palace at Sydenham.

It takes a forensic look at its relationship with the Crystal Palace football club, dispelling a number of myths.

Like a number of major soccer teams today, e.g. Spurs, Derby and the two Sheffields, the amateur Crystal Palace developed out of a cricket club, in our case the Crystal Palace Cricket Club, which played at Sydenham.

The book reveals that the members of the Crystal Palace football club of 1861 had school and business links to the other F.A. Founding Fathers and a much more important and central role in the founding of the Football Association and the launch of soccer than has previously been recognised.

It also forensically examines how and why the professional Crystal Palace club was founded in 1905, dispelling a number of widely held myths and adding a lot of new verifiable information about its foundation.

Looked at from the perspective of the Crystal Palace Company there are now very good reasons why the 1861 amateur Palace team can be said to be connected to today’s club, especially when compared with the way other clubs claim their histories. It’s a unique history and, based on the book’s research, Palace would be well within its rights to claim to be the oldest professional football league club in the world.

Enjoying this thread.
The first question people will ask is...
If you're the oldest club in the world, how come you had to borrow Villa's shirts?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 19 Dec 18 12.53pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Lombardinho

Enjoying this thread.
The first question people will ask is...
If you're the oldest club in the world, how come you had to borrow Villa's shirts?

Good question

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View johnmcormick8's Profile johnmcormick8 Flag Brundish 19 Dec 18 1.46pm Send a Private Message to johnmcormick8 Add johnmcormick8 as a friend

well if use 1861 can we drop the egale Barcelona thing and go back to being 'The Glaziers'

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Sansbup's Profile Sansbup Flag Normandy 19 Dec 18 5.38pm Send a Private Message to Sansbup Add Sansbup as a friend

Originally posted by Lombardinho

Enjoying this thread.
The first question people will ask is...
If you're the oldest club in the world, how come you had to borrow Villa's shirts?

Also, when there was only one club, who did they play against?

Great thread by the way, excellent cachet in being the world's oldest club!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 19 Dec 18 5.52pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Sansbup

Also, when there was only one club, who did they play against?

Great thread by the way, excellent cachet in being the world's oldest club!

No one. It was our best-ever unbeaten run.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 19 Dec 18 5.57pm Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

I'm sure if there's more historical info available through digitisation of old newspapers, the history of other clubs will be rewritten too.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View bexleydave's Profile bexleydave Flag Barnehurst 19 Dec 18 6.55pm Send a Private Message to bexleydave Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add bexleydave as a friend

Those involved in the formation of this club did not attempt to claim any link to the former club of the same name, and that was just 29 years after the other club became defunct, when the history would have been a lot clearer. We celebrated our centenary in 2005, not 1961 and we have 1905 on our badge.

The suggestion that, because the club shop have elected to stock this latest learned tome, suggests an endorsement by the club of its contents is entirely specious. It is the equivalent of suggesting that bookshops that sell Nietzsche or music shops that stock Wagner tacitly endorse their repulsive ideas.

If we were to suddenly try to claim to be the oldest football club in the world, after 113 years, we wouldn't receive opposition, it would be much worse. We'd be the laughing stock of the entire football universe and, let's face it, we've proved that we're quite capable of that lately, without adding any more fuel to the fire.

Edited by bexleydave (20 Dec 2018 7.45am)

 


Bexley Dave

Can you hear the Brighton sing? I can't hear a ******* thing!

"The most arrogant, obnoxious bunch of deluded little sun tanned, loafer wearing mummy's boys I've ever had the misfortune of having to listen to" (Burnley forum)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 20 Dec 18 11.22am Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Sansbup

Also, when there was only one club, who did they play against?

Great thread by the way, excellent cachet in being the world's oldest club!

we had some feisty derbies against Brighton Pavillion apparently, their players started the trend for big moustaches and tight knickerbockers according to chapter thirteen

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 20 Dec 18 11.25am Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by bexleydave

Those involved in the formation of this club did not attempt to claim any link to the former club of the same name, and that was just 29 years after the other club became defunct, when the history would have been a lot clearer. We celebrated our centenary in 2005, not 1961 and we have 1905 on our badge.

The suggestion that, because the club shop have elected to stock this latest learned tome, suggests an endorsement by the club of its contents is entirely specious. It is the equivalent of suggesting that bookshops that sell Nietzsche or music shops that stock Wagner tacitly endorse their repulsive ideas.

If we were to suddenly try to claim to be the oldest football club in the world, after 113 years, we wouldn't receive opposition, it would be much worse. We'd be the laughing stock of the entire football universe and, let's face it, we've proved that we're quite capable of that lately, without adding any more fuel to the fire.

Edited by bexleydave (20 Dec 2018 7.45am)

claiming we're the oldest club in the world would be like saying Sainsbury's are mad because they sell nuts, crackers and bananas, I am in complete agreement on this issue, 1905 it is

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Aquilachrysaetos's Profile Aquilachrysaetos Flag Hailsham 20 Dec 18 12.29pm Send a Private Message to Aquilachrysaetos Add Aquilachrysaetos as a friend

Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical

Bumping this thread back as a new book has recently been published, called Palace At The Palace, which, for the first time, covers the entire history of the Crystal Palace Company, the company which owned and managed our spiritual home, the Crystal Palace at Sydenham.

It takes a forensic look at its relationship with the Crystal Palace football club, dispelling a number of myths.

Like a number of major soccer teams today, e.g. Spurs, Derby and the two Sheffields, the amateur Crystal Palace developed out of a cricket club, in our case the Crystal Palace Cricket Club, which played at Sydenham.

The book reveals that the members of the Crystal Palace football club of 1861 had school and business links to the other F.A. Founding Fathers and a much more important and central role in the founding of the Football Association and the launch of soccer than has previously been recognised.

It also forensically examines how and why the professional Crystal Palace club was founded in 1905, dispelling a number of widely held myths and adding a lot of new verifiable information about its foundation.

Looked at from the perspective of the Crystal Palace Company there are now very good reasons why the 1861 amateur Palace team can be said to be connected to today’s club, especially when compared with the way other clubs claim their histories. It’s a unique history and, based on the book’s research, Palace would be well within its rights to claim to be the oldest professional football league club in the world.

My mother (86), a keen genealogist who has no interest in football and has never been near the internet, often tells me about my great great grandfather Reg Blackshill (possibly spelt differently).

Apparently he was a foreman for a construction company (supposedly building The Crystal Palace) and he formed the Crystal Palace Football team from a group of workers sometime in the mid-to-late 1800s. I've never found his name mentioned online but the story is embedded in our family folklore. As is the way of such things, the story has probably been embellished but it would be lovely to think one of my ancestors helped to found the club I've supported avidly all my life.

If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd be very happy.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 20 Dec 18 12.56pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Aquilachrysaetos

My mother (86), a keen genealogist who has no interest in football and has never been near the internet, often tells me about my great great grandfather Reg Blackshill (possibly spelt differently).

Apparently he was a foreman for a construction company (supposedly building The Crystal Palace) and he formed the Crystal Palace Football team from a group of workers sometime in the mid-to-late 1800s. I've never found his name mentioned online but the story is embedded in our family folklore. As is the way of such things, the story has probably been embellished but it would be lovely to think one of my ancestors helped to found the club I've supported avidly all my life.

If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd be very happy.

At last I know who to blame for a lifetime of football torment (well, since 1972). Old ‘Reg’.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View stujii's Profile stujii Flag 20 Dec 18 4.49pm Send a Private Message to stujii Add stujii as a friend

Started a thread on this a couple of years ago and got, ahem, politely poo pooed by Bexleydave

What I was saying then and still believe is If AFC Wimbledon can claim the history of the old Wimbledon now MK Dons then why cant we claim ours??

Accrington Stanley would have a good shout too in my opinion !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Can we adopt our 1861 date of birth ?