You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > HOLS obsession with racism?
November 19 2019 5.27pm

HOLS obsession with racism?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

 

View laddo's Profile laddo Flag london 13 Feb 19 11.40am Send a Private Message to laddo Add laddo as a friend

Post brexit we’ve had anti-immigration rants, pro-Tommy Robinson posts, a suggestion that all Muslims are potential sexual predators, anger at there being platforms for black people to celebrate cultures largely forgotten due to slave-trade and now people suggesting something as innocent as speaking in ‘black accents’ should exclude you from the job market.

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures? I think brexit has given people licence to be far more vocal about their true feelings and ignorence. HOL always used to tackle delicate issues, with a real sense of debate. Now though, a number of posts come back to the same old tosh...an utter fear of foreigners or people with different skin shades or religions. Sad times.

 


laddo

"People say, live fast, die young. I say live fast, die old. That's me, the non-conformist".
David Brent.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 13 Feb 19 11.44am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by laddo

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures?

I think that you are exaggerating somewhat as HOL has hundreds of members primarily here to discuss football whilst there can't be more than a dozen who regularly post in the News & Politics with another dozen who chip in every now and again and less than a handful who regularly discuss racial matters

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 13 Feb 19 11.56am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

I think that you are exaggerating somewhat as HOL has hundreds of members primarily here to discuss football whilst there can't be more than a dozen who regularly post in the News & Politics with another dozen who chip in every now and again and less than a handful who regularly discuss racial matters

Perhaps so. But it would interesting to know the stats on volumes. It feels like there are a hell of a lot on these types of topic.

I put it down to the number of people that have moved out from Croydon and are scared to leave their semi-rural enclaves for the mean streets. They don't see life as it is lived by most of us, just what the sensationalist Press chooses to push.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 13 Feb 19 11.56am Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by laddo

Post brexit we’ve had anti-immigration rants, pro-Tommy Robinson posts, a suggestion that all Muslims are potential sexual predators, anger at there being platforms for black people to celebrate cultures largely forgotten due to slave-trade and now people suggesting something as innocent as speaking in ‘black accents’ should exclude you from the job market.

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures? I think brexit has given people licence to be far more vocal about their true feelings and ignorence. HOL always used to tackle delicate issues, with a real sense of debate. Now though, a number of posts come back to the same old tosh...an utter fear of foreigners or people with different skin shades or religions. Sad times.

If that "obsession" is keenly read and contributed would you not think it's a hot current topic on a lot of people's mind.

Talking immigration is not "ignorance" as you put it but a huge part of brexit and the big change currently happening in our country with leaving the EU.

"Fear of foreigners" "different skin shades"
All these buzz words are wrong and your attempt to close debate is futile.

I suggest you start your own thread if you have issues. What will it be?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 13 Feb 19 12.01pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by laddo

Post brexit we’ve had anti-immigration rants, pro-Tommy Robinson posts, a suggestion that all Muslims are potential sexual predators, anger at there being platforms for black people to celebrate cultures largely forgotten due to slave-trade and now people suggesting something as innocent as speaking in ‘black accents’ should exclude you from the job market.

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures? I think brexit has given people licence to be far more vocal about their true feelings and ignorence. HOL always used to tackle delicate issues, with a real sense of debate. Now though, a number of posts come back to the same old tosh...an utter fear of foreigners or people with different skin shades or religions. Sad times.

Every time you visit HOL, the same old race and immigration click-bait.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 13 Feb 19 12.19pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Every time you visit HOL, the same old race and immigration click-bait.

Yeah, I know....such a rush!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 13 Feb 19 12.26pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by laddo

Post brexit we’ve had anti-immigration rants, pro-Tommy Robinson posts, a suggestion that all Muslims are potential sexual predators, anger at there being platforms for black people to celebrate cultures largely forgotten due to slave-trade and now people suggesting something as innocent as speaking in ‘black accents’ should exclude you from the job market.

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures? I think brexit has given people licence to be far more vocal about their true feelings and ignorence. HOL always used to tackle delicate issues, with a real sense of debate. Now though, a number of posts come back to the same old tosh...an utter fear of foreigners or people with different skin shades or religions. Sad times.

It's for this reason I have retired from this section of the HOL, but as this comment deserves my support I will make an exception. It's the same small group of posters banging the same old tired drums. They are not, in my opinion, representative of the general sentiment held by the people in the UK as a whole, although I am only too aware that there is a vocal minority who think as they do. Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of popularism generally has given them the confidence to express themselves more openly.

I hope it is just a temporary phenomenon and they will again retire to the shadows. Of course such voices need to be heard but for them to dominate anywhere makes me feel very nervous for the future direction of civilised, progressive societies everywhere.

As, in my experience, there is no reasoning with such people the only way to handle them is to out vote them, using the long established methods embedded in our democratic system. Which, by the way, does not include referendums or threads on social media platforms.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (13 Feb 2019 12.27pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 13 Feb 19 12.51pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

It's for this reason I have retired from this section of the HOL, but as this comment deserves my support I will make an exception. It's the same small group of posters banging the same old tired drums. They are not, in my opinion, representative of the general sentiment held by the people in the UK as a whole, although I am only too aware that there is a vocal minority who think as they do. Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of popularism generally has given them the confidence to express themselves more openly.

I hope it is just a temporary phenomenon and they will again retire to the shadows. Of course such voices need to be heard but for them to dominate anywhere makes me feel very nervous for the future direction of civilised, progressive societies everywhere.

As, in my experience, there is no reasoning with such people the only way to handle them is to out vote them, using the long established methods embedded in our democratic system. Which, by the way, does not include referendums or threads on social media platforms.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (13 Feb 2019 12.27pm)

Yawn....all these bitter commies moaning about the right wing.

When progressives had no voice in society and were allowed one......well that's good.

Now when they are the mainstream and it's the right who are the counter culture start coming up......Oh no...'evil, evil'.

You stick around long enough and you notice the cyclical nature of this s***e.

Edited by Stirlingsays (13 Feb 2019 12.52pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View madcap_v2's Profile madcap_v2 Flag Nope. 13 Feb 19 12.53pm Send a Private Message to madcap_v2 Add madcap_v2 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

It's for this reason I have retired from this section of the HOL, but as this comment deserves my support I will make an exception. It's the same small group of posters banging the same old tired drums. They are not, in my opinion, representative of the general sentiment held by the people in the UK as a whole, although I am only too aware that there is a vocal minority who think as they do. Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of popularism generally has given them the confidence to express themselves more openly.

I hope it is just a temporary phenomenon and they will again retire to the shadows. Of course such voices need to be heard but for them to dominate anywhere makes me feel very nervous for the future direction of civilised, progressive societies everywhere.

As, in my experience, there is no reasoning with such people the only way to handle them is to out vote them, using the long established methods embedded in our democratic system. Which, by the way, does not include referendums or threads on social media platforms.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (13 Feb 2019 12.27pm)

Nail on the head there. Superb post.

 


Who Cares?

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Pussay Patrol Flag 13 Feb 19 12.55pm

Originally posted by dannyboy1978

If that "obsession" is keenly read and contributed would you not think it's a hot current topic on a lot of people's mind.

Talking immigration is not "ignorance" as you put it but a huge part of brexit and the big change currently happening in our country with leaving the EU.

"Fear of foreigners" "different skin shades"
All these buzz words are wrong and your attempt to close debate is futile.

I suggest you start your own thread if you have issues. What will it be?

No its not a hot topic

When I check the daily news it isnt, unless its sensationalised tabloid news story to shift papers

And immigration isn't even 5% of what Brexit is about its made into a political issue and put at the top of the news agenda to sway voting because its an emotive subject.

Question is whether you're easily manipulated or can see through it and judge things objectively

 


Paua oouaarancì Irà chiyeah Ishé galé ma ba oo ah

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 12.56pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by laddo

Post brexit we’ve had anti-immigration rants, pro-Tommy Robinson posts, a suggestion that all Muslims are potential sexual predators, anger at there being platforms for black people to celebrate cultures largely forgotten due to slave-trade and now people suggesting something as innocent as speaking in ‘black accents’ should exclude you from the job market.

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures? I think brexit has given people licence to be far more vocal about their true feelings and ignorence. HOL always used to tackle delicate issues, with a real sense of debate. Now though, a number of posts come back to the same old tosh...an utter fear of foreigners or people with different skin shades or religions. Sad times.

I think you will find that if there is an 'obsession' here, it is with societies and the media's obsession with racism and the endless identity politics that we are now exposed to.

It is a reaction to the obsession and not the cause.
Brexit has nothing to do with it. It is the inevitable friction and power struggle caused by mass immigration that was easily predictable years ago.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 12.58pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Pussay Patrol

No its not a hot topic

When I check the daily news it isnt, unless its sensationalised tabloid news story to shift papers

And immigration isn't even 5% of what Brexit is about its made into a political issue and put at the top of the news agenda to sway voting because its an emotive subject.

Question is whether you're easily manipulated or can see through it and judge things objectively

Funny how you think that everyone else is 'manipulated' but never stop to wonder if you are.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > HOLS obsession with racism?