You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > HOLS obsession with racism?
July 19 2019 11.03am

HOLS obsession with racism?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

 

View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 13 Feb 19 3.03pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by W12

Even if that was true (which is highly debatable - and the representation on here would suggest otherwise) how can people in general even be accurately informed when all our institutions (be they political, traditional / digital media or seats of learning) are now ingrained with the same ideological group think?

That's why people are turning to new media like long form podcasts which I would say are characterized by focusing on facts rather than emotions.

e.g. I went a long time (until about 6 months ago) accepting the general consensus that "orange man bad" but it's based on a lot of propaganda as the media class are almost entirely cut from the same cloth. Trump now has a 52% approval rating in the US despite 90% of his coverage being negative.

Wake up folks.

Yep, nail on head.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 3.04pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

If you really think that the "17 million" all hold views about the EU, let alone about the other right wing causes, similar to those being offered by the group on here, then you are deluded.

From all I can detect most of them were led to their decision by a combination of lies, ignorance of the detail and the usual political motivation that "anything must be better than this". Change is always attractive, which fades when the change becomes a reality.

I know many people who thought we would do better by leaving because it would ensure jobs for them and their families and money for the NHS but are very much middle of the road politically, think Trump is a disaster and "Tommy Robinson" a parasite.

Debating with such people is a pleasure, because they have minds open to well reasoned argument. Not so the hardliners, where insult is a normal retort. They are very much a fringe community, albeit well represented here.

This again?

You seriously, honestly believe that only one side lied exaggerated and conned their way to votes?

You obviously haven't 'retired' from talking crap.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 13 Feb 19 3.23pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by laddo

Post brexit we’ve had anti-immigration rants, pro-Tommy Robinson posts, a suggestion that all Muslims are potential sexual predators, anger at there being platforms for black people to celebrate cultures largely forgotten due to slave-trade and now people suggesting something as innocent as speaking in ‘black accents’ should exclude you from the job market.

Does HOL have an obsession with racism? When do you think it started to get so right-wing, bitter and scared of other cultures? I think brexit has given people licence to be far more vocal about their true feelings and ignorence. HOL always used to tackle delicate issues, with a real sense of debate. Now though, a number of posts come back to the same old tosh...an utter fear of foreigners or people with different skin shades or religions. Sad times.

For the record, I sand others have said they’ll not have the opportunities in some job markets, not ‘that they should be excluded’, although I have said they sound silly.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 13 Feb 19 3.40pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

My partner has a friend with a black child from a previous relationship. I brought them on holiday with us. Never have I heard the phrase white privilege so many times.
I wanted to point out that they too were partaking of this so-called privilege by me paying for their holiday. However, they are so race obsessed that that would have been construed as a mis-use of my white power so what would be the point.
I never even took the kid's colour into account when I brought them, yet it was continuously brought up.
The mother is a Social Justice Warrior of the extreme. I take people as I find them.
Point being, it is the SJW types and general snowflakes who are race and sexuality obsessed, rather than Brexiteers or so called right.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 13 Feb 19 4.05pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

For the record, I sand others have said they’ll not have the opportunities in some job markets, not ‘that they should be excluded’, although I have said they sound silly.

There is nothing wrong with like minded people using slang / street talk or as I like to call it shorthand. Everybody does it just listen to a group of doctors talking amongst themselves.

However dealing with the public is a different matter. If it is job related you cannot expect your colleagues or the public to be familiar with your particular shorthand. This has nothing to do with accents or being posh just manners. The best way to be sure you can be understood is to speak plain English with or without an accent. If you can't or won't do that then don't be surprised if your employment opportunities are limited.

As others have said when I worked I spoke different to when I was with my friends.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Pussay Patrol Flag 13 Feb 19 4.20pm

Originally posted by W12

Even if that was true (which is highly debatable - and the representation on here would suggest otherwise) how can people in general even be accurately informed when all our institutions (be they political, traditional / digital media or seats of learning) are now ingrained with the same ideological group think?

That's why people are turning to new media like long form podcasts which I would say are characterized by focusing on facts rather than emotions.

e.g. I went a long time (until about 6 months ago) accepting the general consensus that "orange man bad" but it's based on a lot of propaganda as the media class are almost entirely cut from the same cloth. Trump now has a 52% approval rating in the US despite 90% of his coverage being negative.

Wake up folks.

I think to add to Wisbechs point about change is that the leave argument was always an easier argument to make, whip up scepticism and anti foreigner sentiment with the migrant crisis a useful tool at the time. Much, much harder to argue the case that years of hard work creating unity, extension of rights freedoms and a free trade area was worth keeping, because you don't appreciate something till its gone. The leave campaign never thought about any cohesive plan or strategy if we left just focused on the populist and negative anti stance, not to mention the dodgy Russian stuff

 


Paua oouaarancì Irà chiyeah Ishé galé ma ba oo ah

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 13 Feb 19 4.26pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

There is nothing wrong with like minded people using slang / street talk or as I like to call it shorthand. Everybody does it just listen to a group of doctors talking amongst themselves.

However dealing with the public is a different matter. If it is job related you cannot expect your colleagues or the public to be familiar with your particular shorthand. This has nothing to do with accents or being posh just manners. The best way to be sure you can be understood is to speak plain English with or without an accent. If you can't or won't do that then don't be surprised if your employment opportunities are limited.

As others have said when I worked I spoke different to when I was with my friends.


Yep, I think most of us would agree with that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 4.40pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

My partner has a friend with a black child from a previous relationship. I brought them on holiday with us. Never have I heard the phrase white privilege so many times.
I wanted to point out that they too were partaking of this so-called privilege by me paying for their holiday. However, they are so race obsessed that that would have been construed as a mis-use of my white power so what would be the point.
I never even took the kid's colour into account when I brought them, yet it was continuously brought up.
The mother is a Social Justice Warrior of the extreme. I take people as I find them.
Point being, it is the SJW types and general snowflakes who are race and sexuality obsessed, rather than Brexiteers or so called right.

White privilege is a myth.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 13 Feb 19 4.58pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Pussay Patrol

the leave argument was always an easier argument to make, whip up scepticism and anti foreigner sentiment with the migrant crisis a useful tool at the time.

I assume that's why the remoaners have always tried to insist that Brexiteers are racists on the basis that if they sling enough mud some of it may stick

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 13 Feb 19 5.20pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

You would expect the 'posh' bit to have low crime but we are not talking about those are we Maple.

As usual, you would rather win an argument by misleading than accept the truth.
If you have lived in that area for 50 plus years then you should know the difference between Croydon in the '60s and now.

Edited by Hrolf The Ganger (13 Feb 2019 2.18pm)

So you haven't bothered checking then?

I have. I did it ward by ward. The areas of Croydon that I have always frequented are relatively low crime. Croydon overall is nothing special in comparison with the rest of London.

It's hard to say over time, when you are young you are more in danger of criminal activity and I saw it. Stroud Green used to be pretty scary.

I am not talking about posh or non-posh, just Croydon overall. As with everywhere, exercising caution is recommended.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 13 Feb 19 5.56pm Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle



It's for this reason I have retired from this section of the HOL
, but as this comment deserves my support I will make an exception. It's the same small group of posters banging the same old tired drums. They are not, in my opinion, representative of the general sentiment held by the people in the UK as a whole, although I am only too aware that there is a vocal minority who think as they do. Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of popularism generally has given them the confidence to express themselves more openly.

I hope it is just a temporary phenomenon and they will again retire to the shadows. Of course such voices need to be heard but for them to dominate anywhere makes me feel very nervous for the future direction of civilised, progressive societies everywhere.

As, in my experience, there is no reasoning with such people the only way to handle them is to out vote them, using the long established methods embedded in our democratic system. Which, by the way, does not include referendums or threads on social media platforms.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (13 Feb 2019 12.27pm)

That must have happened very recently and lasted about 5 minutes. This section of HOL is dominated by your nonsense.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 13 Feb 19 6.04pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Haha. The press doesn't invent the crime rate in Croydon me old Addiscome mucker. Or the people committing most of it.

It’s helped people being turned off going to the Croydon shopping areas. Knives behind Allders where cars enter the car park, being at risk on foot anywhere along the fly over, gangs or groups of people shouting and screaming at each other along north end. I know, it’s never happened. It’s purely the internet that’s killed it and Kingston and Bromley are complete ghost shopping towns as well. (Not)

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > HOLS obsession with racism?