You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > HOLS obsession with racism?
November 14 2019 1.27pm

HOLS obsession with racism?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 1.03pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by madcap_v2

Nail on the head there. Superb post.

Yes, let's attempt to marginalize opinion like they did with Brexit.
And what a surprise when it turned out that those not so noisy Brexiters were the majority after all.

Some people never learn.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 1.06pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Perhaps so. But it would interesting to know the stats on volumes. It feels like there are a hell of a lot on these types of topic.

I put it down to the number of people that have moved out from Croydon and are scared to leave their semi-rural enclaves for the mean streets. They don't see life as it is lived by most of us, just what the sensationalist Press chooses to push.

Haha. The press doesn't invent the crime rate in Croydon me old Addiscome mucker. Or the people committing most of it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 13 Feb 19 1.11pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Perhaps so. But it would interesting to know the stats on volumes. It feels like there are a hell of a lot on these types of topic.

I put it down to the number of people that have moved out from Croydon and are scared to leave their semi-rural enclaves for the mean streets. They don't see life as it is lived by most of us, just what the sensationalist Press chooses to push.

Well I'm willing to bet I live on meaner streets than you by a country mile & a lot of It is less racism but more a 'Ghettoisation' of huge swathes of neighbourhoods.

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 13 Feb 19 1.13pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

It's for this reason I have retired from this section of the HOL, but as this comment deserves my support I will make an exception. It's the same small group of posters banging the same old tired drums. They are not, in my opinion, representative of the general sentiment held by the people in the UK as a whole, although I am only too aware that there is a vocal minority who think as they do. Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of popularism generally has given them the confidence to express themselves more openly.

I hope it is just a temporary phenomenon and they will again retire to the shadows. Of course such voices need to be heard but for them to dominate anywhere makes me feel very nervous for the future direction of civilised, progressive societies everywhere.

As, in my experience, there is no reasoning with such people the only way to handle them is to out vote them, using the long established methods embedded in our democratic system. Which, by the way, does not include referendums or threads on social media platforms.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (13 Feb 2019 12.27pm)

"No reasoning with these people" who the 17 million winning majority? Or make believe.
You do realise debate is a 2 way thing?
Or are you a brush under the carpet kinda person?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 13 Feb 19 1.16pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

It's for this reason I have retired from this section of the HOL, but as this comment deserves my support I will make an exception. It's the same small group of posters banging the same old tired drums. They are not, in my opinion, representative of the general sentiment held by the people in the UK as a whole, although I am only too aware that there is a vocal minority who think as they do. Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of popularism generally has given them the confidence to express themselves more openly.

I hope it is just a temporary phenomenon and they will again retire to the shadows. Of course such voices need to be heard but for them to dominate anywhere makes me feel very nervous for the future direction of civilised, progressive societies everywhere.

As, in my experience, there is no reasoning with such people the only way to handle them is to out vote them, using the long established methods embedded in our democratic system. Which, by the way, does not include referendums or threads on social media platforms.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (13 Feb 2019 12.27pm)

I'd wager Wisbech is primarily a White neighbourhood?

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 13 Feb 19 1.20pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by Pussay Patrol

No its not a hot topic

When I check the daily news it isnt, unless its sensationalised tabloid news story to shift papers

And immigration isn't even 5% of what Brexit is about its made into a political issue and put at the top of the news agenda to sway voting because its an emotive subject.

Question is whether you're easily manipulated or can see through it and judge things objectively

What are we voting for? What am I being swayed with?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 13 Feb 19 1.21pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Funny how you think that everyone else is 'manipulated' but never stop to wonder if you are.

PENNY..... DROP.....

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 13 Feb 19 1.25pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Jimenez

I'd wager Wisbech is primarily a White neighbourhood?

Yep.

Still too many foreigners though, loads of eastern Europeans...Good people in there and lots who work hard, but it's meant to be an English town and it's not my culture....I'll eventually move out.

Then people like Steven Fry can say....look, when people are introduced to multiculturalism they enjoy it because look at the cities (Fry doesn't live with it by the way).

All along completely ignoring the fact that huge numbers of people moved out because they didn't.

This country has practically given away its two largest cities already.

Edited by Stirlingsays (13 Feb 2019 1.27pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 13 Feb 19 1.33pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Haha. The press doesn't invent the crime rate in Croydon me old Addiscome mucker. Or the people committing most of it.

I recommend you look at the crime statistics in detail, as I have done.

Overall Croydon is nothing special. Some of it has exceptionally low crime rates.

Can't say I am a fan of Thornton Heath, Selhurst or Broad Green at night.

You have been so far away from home for so long you have forgotten how to spell it.

Edited by Mapletree (13 Feb 2019 1.33pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Feb 19 2.17pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I recommend you look at the crime statistics in detail, as I have done.

Overall Croydon is nothing special. Some of it has exceptionally low crime rates.

Can't say I am a fan of Thornton Heath, Selhurst or Broad Green at night.

You have been so far away from home for so long you have forgotten how to spell it.

Edited by Mapletree (13 Feb 2019 1.33pm)

You would expect the 'posh' bit to have low crime but we are not talking about those are we Maple.

As usual, you would rather win an argument by misleading than accept the truth.
If you have lived in that area for 50 plus years then you should know the difference between Croydon in the '60s and now.

Edited by Hrolf The Ganger (13 Feb 2019 2.18pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 13 Feb 19 2.39pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by dannyboy1978

"No reasoning with these people" who the 17 million winning majority? Or make believe.
You do realise debate is a 2 way thing?
Or are you a brush under the carpet kinda person?

If you really think that the "17 million" all hold views about the EU, let alone about the other right wing causes, similar to those being offered by the group on here, then you are deluded.

From all I can detect most of them were led to their decision by a combination of lies, ignorance of the detail and the usual political motivation that "anything must be better than this". Change is always attractive, which fades when the change becomes a reality.

I know many people who thought we would do better by leaving because it would ensure jobs for them and their families and money for the NHS but are very much middle of the road politically, think Trump is a disaster and "Tommy Robinson" a parasite.

Debating with such people is a pleasure, because they have minds open to well reasoned argument. Not so the hardliners, where insult is a normal retort. They are very much a fringe community, albeit well represented here.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View W12's Profile W12 Online Flag 13 Feb 19 3.00pm Send a Private Message to W12 Add W12 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

If you really think that the "17 million" all hold views about the EU, let alone about the other right wing causes, similar to those being offered by the group on here, then you are deluded.

From all I can detect most of them were led to their decision by a combination of lies, ignorance of the detail and the usual political motivation that "anything must be better than this". Change is always attractive, which fades when the change becomes a reality.

I know many people who thought we would do better by leaving because it would ensure jobs for them and their families and money for the NHS but are very much middle of the road politically, think Trump is a disaster and "Tommy Robinson" a parasite.

Debating with such people is a pleasure, because they have minds open to well reasoned argument. Not so the hardliners, where insult is a normal retort. They are very much a fringe community, albeit well represented here.

Even if that was true (which is highly debatable - and the representation on here would suggest otherwise) how can people in general even be accurately informed when all our institutions (be they political, traditional / digital media or seats of learning) are now ingrained with the same ideological group think?

That's why people are turning to new media like long form podcasts which I would say are characterized by focusing on facts rather than emotions.

e.g. I went a long time (until about 6 months ago) accepting the general consensus that "orange man bad" but it's based on a lot of propaganda as the media class are almost entirely cut from the same cloth. Trump now has a 52% approval rating in the US despite 90% of his coverage being negative.

Wake up folks.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > HOLS obsession with racism?