You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Conservative Party Leadership Campaign
October 21 2019 4.43pm

Conservative Party Leadership Campaign

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 55 of 57 < 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 >

 

View Uncle Joe's Profile Uncle Joe Flag Tunbridge Wells 25 Jul 19 10.31am Send a Private Message to Uncle Joe Add Uncle Joe as a friend

Priti Patel! Accused of running her own foreign policy, now Home Secretary!

Just when you think they can't get any lower......

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 25 Jul 19 10.37am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Parties elect a leader who on occasions, like Boris become PM, or not as in the case of the new Lib Dem leadership.Corbyn of course became leader but not PM as a consequence.
Many will argue that members of political parties should have a say in electing a leader of their respective parties.

Of course the membership should elect who leads their party. That's not in question. In practical terms that would normally be a sitting MP who if they lead them to an election victory would expect to be confirmed as PM by the MPs.

However it's that confirmation which is important. If a PM resigns, as with Blair and now May, it ought only be the MPs who choose their successor. The country voted for those MPs so why should only the members of a particular party be able to choose who leads the country? Of course it will normally be the MPs of the party in power who have the effective control but if enough "rebels" exist within that party then they, with the combined opposition, could reject an unpopular choice.

Thus if the MPs were now given that responsibility we would probably would not now be faced with Johnson and a no deal caucus trying to force through a policy against the majority wishes of the House.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 25 Jul 19 10.42am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Of course the membership should elect who leads their party. That's not in question. In practical terms that would normally be a sitting MP who if they lead them to an election victory would expect to be confirmed as PM by the MPs.

However it's that confirmation which is important. If a PM resigns, as with Blair and now May, it ought only be the MPs who choose their successor. The country voted for those MPs so why should only the members of a particular party be able to choose who leads the country? Of course it will normally be the MPs of the party in power who have the effective control but if enough "rebels" exist within that party then they, with the combined opposition, could reject an unpopular choice.

Thus if the MPs were now given that responsibility we would probably would not now be faced with Johnson and a no deal caucus trying to force through a policy against the majority wishes of the House.

With respect it was the Conservative MPs who after a series of votes presented the 2 candidates to the membership for election of leader.And of course the MPs are also members.

I don't have an issue with any party having a system where members have the final say but I respect your difference of opinion.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 25 Jul 19 11.12am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

With respect it was the Conservative MPs who after a series of votes presented the 2 candidates to the membership for election of leader.And of course the MPs are also members.

I don't have an issue with any party having a system where members have the final say but I respect your difference of opinion.


I realise that but in some ways that just highlights the problem.

Just imagine that the House as a whole was asked to decide which of either Hunt or Johnson should become PM? Who do you think they would choose?

Just imagine that the whole House was asked to go through the kind of selection process that the Tories held to end up with Hunt and Johnson being the final two. Who do you think would be in the final ballot?

The winner would be bound to be a Tory but which one? It might not be either Hunt or Johnson.

I am not necessarily recommending either of those two systems but I do believe that the choice ought not be in the hands of just the members of a party. It has to be the responsibility of the MPs.

As Johnson will undoubtedly face an early no confidence vote changing the way the PM is confirmed would help to avoid that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 25 Jul 19 11.12am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Of course the membership should elect who leads their party. That's not in question. In practical terms that would normally be a sitting MP who if they lead them to an election victory would expect to be confirmed as PM by the MPs.

However it's that confirmation which is important. If a PM resigns, as with Blair and now May, it ought only be the MPs who choose their successor. The country voted for those MPs so why should only the members of a particular party be able to choose who leads the country? Of course it will normally be the MPs of the party in power who have the effective control but if enough "rebels" exist within that party then they, with the combined opposition, could reject an unpopular choice.

Thus if the MPs were now given that responsibility we would probably would not now be faced with Johnson and a no deal caucus trying to force through a policy against the majority wishes of the House.

On the choosing leaders should that be even if the party in question isnt in power.
I'm sure Corbyn wouldn't be the labour leader if it was an MPs of all parties vote.
What about if the green leader stepped down, or plaid etc.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 25 Jul 19 11.12am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

With respect it was the Conservative MPs who after a series of votes presented the 2 candidates to the membership for election of leader.And of course the MPs are also members.

I don't have an issue with any party having a system where members have the final say but I respect your difference of opinion.

Game and first set to Willo

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 25 Jul 19 11.16am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Every PM needs to be chosen by the MP's alone. So the involvement of Labour's NEC in Brown's coronation was wrong in my view, although not as wrong as the way Johnson was finally chosen.

If Johnson makes an electoral pact with Farage just to try to force a "no-deal" Brexit over the line then I hope he is soundly defeated. Of course the result would be accepted. That's the system we have. That doesn't though mean that a fight to reverse the decision wouldn't then begin probably alongside another to try to avoid the break up of the UK.

So the result wouldn't be accepted.
Sounds like Jo Swinson and Caroline Lucas who have both stated on TV that they want a 2nd referendum but then both stated they would not accept the result if Leave won! Explain that one please

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 25 Jul 19 11.23am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

Game and first set to Willo

But I will lose the match comprehensively !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View W12's Profile W12 Flag 25 Jul 19 11.37am Send a Private Message to W12 Add W12 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Every PM needs to be chosen by the MP's alone. So the involvement of Labour's NEC in Brown's coronation was wrong in my view, although not as wrong as the way Johnson was finally chosen.

If Johnson makes an electoral pact with Farage just to try to force a "no-deal" Brexit over the line then I hope he is soundly defeated. Of course the result would be accepted. That's the system we have. That doesn't though mean that a fight to reverse the decision wouldn't then begin probably alongside another to try to avoid the break up of the UK.


???

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 25 Jul 19 1.39pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

But I will lose the match comprehensively !

Only if Clattenburg is officiating! (sorry an uncalled for comment)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 25 Jul 19 2.49pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Scroll down to the 3.48 mins video speaking to the young people at the ‘Fvck Boris’ protest.

[Link]

The first young lady is a looker.
What sex is the 2nd?
How many times do these people say like?
Give them a term or 2 terms of socialism, they’ll learn, as they mostly do.
I doubt there’s much self interest at this protest (sarcasm)

Edited by Rudi Hedman (25 Jul 2019 2.50pm)

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 25 Jul 19 3.52pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Scroll down to the 3.48 mins video speaking to the young people at the ‘Fvck Boris’ protest.

[Link]

The first young lady is a looker.
What sex is the 2nd?
How many times do these people say like?
Give them a term or 2 terms of socialism, they’ll learn, as they mostly do.
I doubt there’s much self interest at this protest (sarcasm)

Edited by Rudi Hedman (25 Jul 2019 2.50pm)

Undemocratic? Are these the same people trying to stop Brexit?

Racist: Do these support the ultra anti-semitic Labour Party?

With regard to the first 2 points raised by RH:
Yes she is
Not sure

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 55 of 57 < 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Conservative Party Leadership Campaign