You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Coronavirus
January 29 2022 1.29pm

Coronavirus

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1121 of 1134 < 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 >

 

View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 14 Jan 22 12.10am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Many hospitals adequately separate covid from non covid patients (though with precautions in the world it's going to spread more at hospitals than elsewhere!).

From what you say, others have decided to turn it into some kind of Squid Game like covid challenge!

Anyway, good health to StirlingSays. It's not much fun waiting around for an op in the middle of this, so it good when it finally foes ahead.

Thanks for your kind words.

You know I was surprised at just how many nurses and orderies...is that the right term?...were coughing and seemed to have colds or whatever.

I was kept in overnight and had a really quite interesting talk with one of the night nurses....fascinating really as she was well into 'natural selection' and while double vaccinated and having her booster today hadn't liked being pressured and won't have it for her teenage daughters....she was also miffed that she needed to complete a degree to progress further in nursing as she had twenty years experience. Perhaps she was just humouring me as I was half lucid with all the drugs....but it's nice to have a chat when you're stuck in that bloody bed.

But other than that covid didn't really come up while I was there....apart from the visual of everyone wearing masks all the time I didn't hear any talk about it....probably all talked out at this point.

You definitely get to have more of a chat with the night nurses as the day shift is so much more active. I knew this going in from previous experience but I was still really quite struck by just how different the attitudes of staff can be....some nurses are just quite abrupt going on rude while others quite chatty and friendly.

Edited by Stirlingsays (14 Jan 2022 12.17am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 14 Jan 22 8.02am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Thanks for your kind words.

You know I was surprised at just how many nurses and orderies...is that the right term?...were coughing and seemed to have colds or whatever.

I was kept in overnight and had a really quite interesting talk with one of the night nurses....fascinating really as she was well into 'natural selection' and while double vaccinated and having her booster today hadn't liked being pressured and won't have it for her teenage daughters....she was also miffed that she needed to complete a degree to progress further in nursing as she had twenty years experience. Perhaps she was just humouring me as I was half lucid with all the drugs....but it's nice to have a chat when you're stuck in that bloody bed.

But other than that covid didn't really come up while I was there....apart from the visual of everyone wearing masks all the time I didn't hear any talk about it....probably all talked out at this point.

You definitely get to have more of a chat with the night nurses as the day shift is so much more active. I knew this going in from previous experience but I was still really quite struck by just how different the attitudes of staff can be....some nurses are just quite abrupt going on rude while others quite chatty and friendly.

Edited by Stirlingsays (14 Jan 2022 12.17am)

They try to best shuffle off the covid cases together I believe, and are likely largely fed up with talking about it so I'm not surprised it didn't come up much . Nurses are a really diverse group, so it doesn't surprise me that translates to their opinions too.

The interesting players in all of this are people still breezing through it all without ever testing positive for anything. Even at the start of this there were people who appeared to have a degree of immunity through recent common (coronavirus) colds, those who very efficient immune systems too [Link] etc. With mass vaccination since and likely tens of million of natural and asymptomatic infections, I expect there will be a lot more of this kind of thing going forward, and that whatever changes come next may (hopefully) end up much of a muchness due to all that has happened prior.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 14 Jan 22 9.22am Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

They try to best shuffle off the covid cases together I believe, and are likely largely fed up with talking about it so I'm not surprised it didn't come up much . Nurses are a really diverse group, so it doesn't surprise me that translates to their opinions too.

The interesting players in all of this are people still breezing through it all without ever testing positive for anything. Even at the start of this there were people who appeared to have a degree of immunity through recent common (coronavirus) colds, those who very efficient immune systems too https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/10/people-exposed-to-covid-yet-not-falling-ill-may-have-immune-memory-finds-study etc. With mass vaccination since and likely tens of million of natural and asymptomatic infections, I expect there will be a lot more of this kind of thing going forward, and that whatever changes come next may (hopefully) end up much of a muchness due to all that has happened prior.

There was also that early statement that smokers were far less likely to be infected, as the residue from cigarettes made it almost impossible for the spike protein (or whatever it is) to bond with the lung cells. That all went quiet very quickly though..........

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 14 Jan 22 9.43am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by becky

There was also that early statement that smokers were far less likely to be infected, as the residue from cigarettes made it almost impossible for the spike protein (or whatever it is) to bond with the lung cells. That all went quiet very quickly though..........

Haha, a case of whatever works . Might get a higher booster take up if they throw in a free packet of B&H.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 14 Jan 22 12.41pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by becky

There was also that early statement that smokers were far less likely to be infected, as the residue from cigarettes made it almost impossible for the spike protein (or whatever it is) to bond with the lung cells. That all went quiet very quickly though..........

Yep, the focus quickly went onto how being fat put you more at risk.

You don't tend to find many fat smokers so perhaps that factors in as well.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 16 Jan 22 3.15pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

This morning I was with the husband of a senior manager at our local hospital. He told me just how stressed his wife is at the moment. There is a staff shortage crisis, caused by covid related absences and covid related stress. His wife's own manager has been off work since November with a stress related illness, and she is now considering taking early retirement.

The in-house staff agency, that fills the gaps, is struggling so much that they are now offering substantial bonuses to people to accept extra shifts. Something my own wife confirms.

So whilst the current wave of the pandemic might appear to be receding the situation in the NHS remains bad and seems to be getting worse.

If it's like this in Cornwall I dread to think what it might be like in the cities.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 16 Jan 22 3.49pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by becky

There was also that early statement that smokers were far less likely to be infected, as the residue from cigarettes made it almost impossible for the spike protein (or whatever it is) to bond with the lung cells. That all went quiet very quickly though..........

David hockney said this early doors.
Got cancelled and has ever since.
Maybe the truth really does hurt !!!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 16 Jan 22 5.53pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

David hockney said this early doors.
Got cancelled and has ever since.
Maybe the truth really does hurt !!!!

Bungles cancel culture-tut tut- what on earth is going on in this country under 12 years of CONservative rule?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 16 Jan 22 6.02pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Bungles cancel culture-tut tut- what on earth is going on in this country under 12 years of CONservative rule?

Wow CP. It appears you can find a link between hmg and anything bad or negative. Is there anything good or positive you can put down to hmg. You act like they have ruined your life but it seems your life is very nice thank you. I'm confused as to why you would want it to change; which it will under labour for sure. I doubt for the better either tbh.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 16 Jan 22 7.13pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Wow CP. It appears you can find a link between hmg and anything bad or negative. Is there anything good or positive you can put down to hmg. You act like they have ruined your life but it seems your life is very nice thank you. I'm confused as to why you would want it to change; which it will under labour for sure. I doubt for the better either tbh.

To be fair- theres not much positive to say about them- lies, more lies, lies, sleeaze, peppa pig, lies, denials, apologies, cover ups, lies, its getting a tad tedius, thats why i hardly post on here, im ground down by it all.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 16 Jan 22 7.16pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Wow CP. It appears you can find a link between hmg and anything bad or negative. Is there anything good or positive you can put down to hmg. You act like they have ruined your life but it seems your life is very nice thank you. I'm confused as to why you would want it to change; which it will under labour for sure. I doubt for the better either tbh.

C'mon. He has 'Any European Country he Fancys' He just hasn't made up his mind yet, it's an UBER decision to make?

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 16 Jan 22 11.06pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

To be fair- theres not much positive to say about them- lies, more lies, lies, sleeaze, peppa pig, lies, denials, apologies, cover ups, lies, its getting a tad tedius, thats why i hardly post on here, im ground down by it all.

Hardly post on here. Ground down by it. You posted on the Labour thread straight after steeleye put that Labour tweet on.
Are you copying boris ?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1121 of 1134 < 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Coronavirus