You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!
October 29 2020 1.46am

Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 34 of 43 < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Frickin Saweet's Profile Frickin Saweet Flag Just outside The Cronx 27 Jul 20 12.47pm Send a Private Message to Frickin Saweet Add Frickin Saweet as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

And you are choosing to ignore my first question - how do you think Parish would have reacted if Hodgson had told him he wanted to '' experiment ' in the last 8 games ?

You might prefer to go for '' death or glory '' but you aren't a Premier League manager. A draw DOES make a difference. A tiny step perhaps, but one in the right direction. So yes, Hodgson was trying to kill the game off and protect the point. Ask the players if they felt better at getting a point yesterday as the result of their putting a shift in or whether they wished the manager had gambled and they had lost the game. I think I can predict what the answers would be.

A lot of people are thinking only in extremes here ie. Tried and tested team vs youth/friendly mentality. To aim to blood young players or evolve the team creatively does not mean to treat it like a friendly. If you dedicated 10% 0f your approach to trying new things then you can evolve a team over time, it shouldn't come down to one match and to think of the Spurs game in isolation is wrong. If you asked the players about which outcome they wanted yesterday then you're right in that we could predict the answer. Apply that question to a whole season's worth of games and I expect you'd get a better picture of a desire amongst the team to develop/evolve/progress by trying new systems/players. Without that you will rot as a team and that's where we are now.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 27 Jul 20 12.58pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Frickin Saweet

A lot of people are thinking only in extremes here ie. Tried and tested team vs youth/friendly mentality. To aim to blood young players or evolve the team creatively does not mean to treat it like a friendly. If you dedicated 10% 0f your approach to trying new things then you can evolve a team over time, it shouldn't come down to one match and to think of the Spurs game in isolation is wrong. If you asked the players about which outcome they wanted yesterday then you're right in that we could predict the answer. Apply that question to a whole season's worth of games and I expect you'd get a better picture of a desire amongst the team to develop/evolve/progress by trying new systems/players. Without that you will rot as a team and that's where we are now.

After the Bournemouth game it was a totally different picture. 4 wins, 4 clean sheets in a row. I doubt too many players would be thinking new systems etc., while they are banking their win bonuses !

But I agree, it's about evolution. And then we get back into the old argument about the quality of young players...as for tactics, another topic done to death - while they achieve Hodgson's objective then he has no incentive to change.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 27 Jul 20 12.59pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

On HOL, and privately, I have always recognised Hodgson's achievements in keeping us in the PL for 3 seasons with a very limited spend.
This is the sole objective of the club and he has met that objective so "Happy Days" as far as the Board are concerned.
The football was uninspiring but in the final analysis the end has justified the means.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 27 Jul 20 1.12pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

And you are choosing to ignore my first question - how do you think Parish would have reacted if Hodgson had told him he wanted to '' experiment ' in the last 8 games ?

You might prefer to go for '' death or glory '' but you aren't a Premier League manager. A draw DOES make a difference. A tiny step perhaps, but one in the right direction. So yes, Hodgson was trying to kill the game off and protect the point. Ask the players if they felt better at getting a point yesterday as the result of their putting a shift in or whether they wished the manager had gambled and they had lost the game. I think I can predict what the answers would be.

I've answered it several times Neillo. You are just ignoring it.

Communication between the Chairman and Manager should be clear, and so should the stratergy.

A "tiny" difference is could also be described as insignificant. Which is what it was. It wasn't even in the right direction, it just slowed down the decline Losing wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Drawing will possibly drag out the saga of Roy Hodgson's very slowly killing the club.

The players know the only reason we got a draw yesterday was because Spurs let the game fizzle out. Had they needed to win, it would have been a different story.

I see you and Roy might both have very risk adverse personalities, at some point you have to take risks. Sport is about taking risks and trying to win. The best time to take risks is when there is nothing to lose, we didn't take this oportunity and we are now worse off because of it.

The time to start changing things wasn't after the Bournmouth game, thats a disingenous comment. The time to change them was after the Burnley game when we knew we had a tough run of fixtures.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 27 Jul 20 1.18pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

After the Bournemouth game it was a totally different picture. 4 wins, 4 clean sheets in a row. I doubt too many players would be thinking new systems etc., while they are banking their win bonuses !

But I agree, it's about evolution. And then we get back into the old argument about the quality of young players...as for tactics, another topic done to death - while they achieve Hodgson's objective then he has no incentive to change.

Newcastle from a set peice, relegated Watford and Bournmouth (opening goal from a set peice) and Brighton (against the run of play and who had the were the only team on a worse run of form than us when we played them). Coming of the back of 3 defeats in a row.

We are pretty much incapable of scoring from open play. Our corners and indirect free kicks are useless.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Cucking Funt's Profile Cucking Funt Flag Elm Guest House 27 Jul 20 1.18pm Send a Private Message to Cucking Funt Add Cucking Funt as a friend

This is how 'nice' some so-called Palace fans are. Someone really needs to have a word with this vermin.

 


Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 27 Jul 20 1.24pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

It's statements like these that don't hold water. Hodgson inherited a decent enough squad:
[Link]
which he has slowly turned into a bunch of headless chicken numpties almost afraid to cross the half way line lest they break the shape mantra. I note that he did the same whilst England manager - he had the cream of English players to choose from yet by the end of his reign they looked like they had never seen a football. The fact that Southgate came in with a different vision attests to Hodgson's failures. If Parish can find replacements in a short space of time for the likes of Pulis, Allerdyce and particularly FdB, then I'm sure he can find one for Hodgson.


You state it often enough you have no time for Hodgson. He was at the end of a long line of managers to be let down by the so called cream of English, football, but never mind ah.
The fact remains the man hasnít been given the players to expand our playing style much beyond where it is . If you take into account the injury lists he has dealt with this year itís a wonder we didnít fill one of the dreaded three, But never mind that either .
Get him out and find another mug. Well at least you will feel a little better, if they did get him out , but the club will carryon struggling to cope with its present severe lack of player investment.
And you will be able to get stuck into another candidate for your dissatisfaction .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 27 Jul 20 1.28pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Frickin Saweet

So our strategy is to keep an old boy in the job for as long as the old boy feels like he can get out of bed each morning? My God I really hope things aren't as clueless as that. We're a football club not a nursing home.


I don't disagree. All I'm trying to say is "don't assume that Roy will be going next Summer". It's clear that the club isn't prepared to (or can't) fund any significant transfer activity, whether Roy or someone else is manager. Even if we get (say) £40m for Wilf, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the maximum amount the club would reinvest in new players.
We have to remember that we weren't expecting megadosh to be spent before Covid 19 hit the world and there'll be even less available for transfer activity now.
If Roy's the only experienced manager prepared to work with the squad as it is (plus perhaps 3/4 new youngsters), it's unlikely he'll be leaving soon.

As I've said previously, I'm neither pro nor anti Roy. I'm trying to work out what's feasible in the current situation and it seems to me that a bird in the hand etc. means Roy stays at least until summer 2021 and if we survive next season, possibly beyond that. And NO I'm not looking forward to another season of the drab football we saw in this last one.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Cucking Funt's Profile Cucking Funt Flag Elm Guest House 27 Jul 20 1.31pm Send a Private Message to Cucking Funt Add Cucking Funt as a friend

Originally posted by Putitout


You state it often enough you have no time for Hodgson. He was at the end of a long line of managers to be let down by the so called cream of English, football, but never mind ah.
The fact remains the man hasnít been given the players to expand our playing style much beyond where it is . If you take into account the injury lists he has dealt with this year itís a wonder we didnít fill one of the dreaded three, But never mind that either .
Get him out and find another mug. Well at least you will feel a little better, if they did get him out , but the club will carryon struggling to cope with its present severe lack of player investment.
And you will be able to get stuck into another candidate for your dissatisfaction .

Very well said. If Carlsberg did HOL posts....

 


Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 27 Jul 20 1.37pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

This is how 'nice' some so-called Palace fans are. Someone really needs to have a word with this vermin.

Read your own signature before critising other peoples bad jokes.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Cucking Funt's Profile Cucking Funt Flag Elm Guest House 27 Jul 20 1.45pm Send a Private Message to Cucking Funt Add Cucking Funt as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Read your own signature before critising other peoples bad jokes.

My signature is a quote from a Crown Court judge which you'd have known if you could be bothered to look it up. But this just demonstrates, again, your inclination to gob off without really being in possession of facts or an appreciation of any bigger picture.

Equating a quote from a judge to a nasty, malicious comment from a Palace fan who wants the manager dead is a quantum leap in logic achievable by only the stupidest of stupid.

 


Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 27 Jul 20 1.59pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

On HOL, and privately, I have always recognised Hodgson's achievements in keeping us in the PL for 3 seasons with a very limited spend.
This is the sole objective of the club and he has met that objective so "Happy Days" as far as the Board are concerned.
The football was uninspiring but in the final analysis the end has justified the means.

Do you think, if he had more quality forwards at his disposal, he would play a more attacking formation. In my view, Townsend needs to be moved on, bring Wickham back into the fold, acquire a winger and another forward.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 34 of 43 < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!