You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > ‘Educated voters’ leftward shift’
June 23 2021 10.26am

‘Educated voters’ leftward shift’

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

 

View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 27 May 21 11.29pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Interesting study looking at voting patterns based on income and attainment levels in 21 major democracies since the 1950s. Whereas previously both the wealthy and the better educated voted for right leaning parties there has been an ever increasing divergence for the more educated voters to vote for left leaning parties since the 60s. The study shows now that it’s common for right wing parties to attract the wealthy still, but now the poorly educated, which may help explain the rise in right wing populism.

[Link]

So I guess the big question for the right leaning voters on here is: which one are you - rich or thick?

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Seagles's Profile Seagles Flag Croydon 27 May 21 11.35pm Send a Private Message to Seagles Add Seagles as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Interesting study looking at voting patterns based on income and attainment levels in 21 major democracies since the 1950s. Whereas previously both the wealthy and the better educated voted for right leaning parties there has been an ever increasing divergence for the more educated voters to vote for left leaning parties since the 60s. The study shows now that it’s common for right wing parties to attract the wealthy still, but now the poorly educated, which may help explain the rise in right wing populism.

[Link]

So I guess the big question for the right leaning voters on here is: which one are you - rich or thick?

Harsh, and unnecessary. You've taken an interesting article and wasted it with pettiness.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 27 May 21 11.36pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Seagles

Harsh, and unnecessary. You've taken an interesting article and wasted it with pettiness.

Come on, clearly tongue in cheek We’re all friends here(ish).

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 27 May 21 11.37pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Interesting study looking at voting patterns based on income and attainment levels in 21 major democracies since the 1950s. Whereas previously both the wealthy and the better educated voted for right leaning parties there has been an ever increasing divergence for the more educated voters to vote for left leaning parties since the 60s. The study shows now that it’s common for right wing parties to attract the wealthy still, but now the poorly educated, which may help explain the rise in right wing populism.

[Link]

So I guess the big question for the right leaning voters on here is: which one are you - rich or thick?

'Educated' people can also be very gullible, lack common sense and have a very narrow field of knowledge.

A nice effort to discredit opposing voices though.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 27 May 21 11.39pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

'Educated' people can also be very gullible, lack common sense and have a very narrow field of knowledge.

A nice effort to discredit opposing voices though.

Whereas the rich need you to think they’re on the same side as you so you keep them in power and keep working for them cheaply.

Edited by DanH (27 May 2021 11.40pm)

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Seagles's Profile Seagles Flag Croydon 27 May 21 11.42pm Send a Private Message to Seagles Add Seagles as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Come on, clearly tongue in cheek We’re all friends here(ish).

Apologies Dan, I obviously misread the tone. I suppose that puts me in the "thick" category!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 27 May 21 11.43pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Whereas the rich need you to think they’re on the same side as you so you keep working for them cheaply.

Now you are into a very big subject.

I'd say that many Leftists are totally brainwashed by the rich to believe in immigration and the rights of virtually every other race, colour and creed except their own.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 27 May 21 11.44pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Seagles

Apologies Dan, I obviously misread the tone. I suppose that puts me in the "thick" category!

Nah - you were definitely right that it was childish

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 27 May 21 11.46pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Now you are into a very big subject.

I'd say that many Leftists are totally brainwashed by the rich to believe in immigration and the rights of virtually every other race, colour and creed except their own.

Is a big subject isn’t it and would be interested to read into the findings further. Genuinely a fascinating subject to try and understand the why behind it (beyond my initial ‘question’ to smoke you all out).

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 28 May 21 12.01am Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

I must say though that I think your ‘brainwashing’ statement is extremely misguided though and the rest of your statement a bit of a cliché of the ‘I went to the university of life mate’ types that tries to discredit academia.

Not sure if you went to university, and it obviously depends on the course, but there is very little face to face ‘teaching’ for this supposed brainwashing to go on. For example, I studied economics and we had 8 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars a week. The rest was independent learning. Naturally we were given a reading list, but critical thinking, reading and referencing widely was an expectation of any submission we ever made. There was no spoon feeding that any particular school of thought was correct and we were expected to come to our own conclusions based on the statistical data analysed.

I think it’s fair to say that those in the education system longer are a bit more sheltered and less ‘street smart’ when it comes to the ‘real world’ of the work place, but I think labelling those educated as ‘brainwashed’ is extremely lazy and unhelpful.

Edited by DanH (28 May 2021 12.02am)

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 28 May 21 12.55am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Most people invested in the system slavishly stick to the establishment, which will reward or punish dependent upon who closely they stick....if they object to something they usually keep quiet about it Whatever direction keeps them in their necessary bubbles will direct their political travels. Discordance rarely makes a difference because challenges are rare within bubbles....hence the rise of the hypocritical champagne socialist from the Blair era.

Those less invested in the system will react against the establishment.

So in the past the establishment was to the right, so all the brown noses looking to get on were on the right.....today all the establishment is to the left....so all the brown noses are on the left.

Human nature.

The only reason we have a Tory government is because a majority of the working classes (dependent upon demographic) have worked out who the establishment is now and that they disapprove of most of them.....In the recent election Brexit really woke up the normies in that respect....The remainer behaviour after 2016 really helped the Tory party....the BBC probably being the most obvious example.

This is even though the Tories are still the same old elites, which is kind of amusing.


Edited by Stirlingsays (28 May 2021 3.39am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 28 May 21 1.01am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

I must say though that I think your ‘brainwashing’ statement is extremely misguided though and the rest of your statement a bit of a cliché of the ‘I went to the university of life mate’ types that tries to discredit academia.

Not sure if you went to university, and it obviously depends on the course, but there is very little face to face ‘teaching’ for this supposed brainwashing to go on. For example, I studied economics and we had 8 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars a week. The rest was independent learning. Naturally we were given a reading list, but critical thinking, reading and referencing widely was an expectation of any submission we ever made. There was no spoon feeding that any particular school of thought was correct and we were expected to come to our own conclusions based on the statistical data analysed.

I think it’s fair to say that those in the education system longer are a bit more sheltered and less ‘street smart’ when it comes to the ‘real world’ of the work place, but I think labelling those educated as ‘brainwashed’ is extremely lazy and unhelpful.

Edited by DanH (28 May 2021 12.02am)

'It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.' (Anon)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > ‘Educated voters’ leftward shift’