You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > New Years Honours
January 29 2022 2.20pm

New Years Honours

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

 

View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 02 Jan 22 6.09pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

Being the attitude of the Conservative and Unionist Party that helped keep the Troubles going for 30 years.

Looking back at the troubles places much of it at the door of the conservative party.

How ridiculous that they would not even talk for 20 years.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 02 Jan 22 6.13pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

Being the attitude of the Conservative and Unionist Party that helped keep the Troubles going for 30 years.

That's very unfair.

What would have been your policy then once Catholics were being attacked in NI?

The only thing I personally criticise is the half in, half out policy....which was doomed to failure from the start.

If you fight, you fight to win, otherwise get the feck out of there.

The British state put its soldiers into a situation with one arm tied behind their backs. Soldiers aren't Police.

Then they betray them and persecute them, while those who murdered our boys go back home.

Feck them to hell.

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Jan 2022 6.26pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 02 Jan 22 6.21pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

It is the conservative and unionist party that is actually losing the union altogether.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 02 Jan 22 6.28pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

It is the conservative and unionist party that is actually losing the union altogether.

Really?

In reality that was your beloved Blair....who gave them their own parliaments.

That literally started the countdown to separation.

An inevitable eventuality now.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 02 Jan 22 6.43pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Jonathan Powell, Tony Blairís former chief of staff and chief negotiator on Northern Ireland, said he was concerned that neither the prime minister nor the recently resigned Brexit minister seemed to understand or care about the fragility of the political settlement in Northern Ireland in 1998.

Why would any sane person in the devolved countries want to be governed by Westminster and Boris Johnson.

Brexit is the proverbial nail in the coffin.

Of course NI and Scotland voted to remain.

Devolution by Blair was limited and practical and well received, an able PM in my view.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 02 Jan 22 6.50pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Why would a self declared communist give a feck about the union anyway?

I repeat breaking the UK up into four different parliaments makes separation inevitable and only a question of time.....Brexit might hasten it or it might not....makes no difference in the longer term.

Sure, you can argue otherwise but I don't regard that as rational myself.

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Jan 2022 6.51pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 02 Jan 22 7.00pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

So did Wisbech Eagle which is a shame he is a staunch defender of the establishment they should at least recognise that.

How do you know I missed out?

Maybe I am just waiting for my invite to the Palace.

My brother was honoured at the Palace yesterday, so why not me? (He died last March, and was in the list given a clap before the game).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 02 Jan 22 7.11pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

How do you know I missed out?

Maybe I am just waiting for my invite to the Palace.

My brother was honoured at the Palace yesterday, so why not me? (He died last March, and was in the list given a clap before the game).

I'm sorry for your loss and yes it was a nice gesture by the club and fans.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 02 Jan 22 8.06pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Why would a self declared communist give a feck about the union anyway?

I repeat breaking the UK up into four different parliaments makes separation inevitable and only a question of time.....Brexit might hasten it or it might not....makes no difference in the longer term.

Sure, you can argue otherwise but I don't regard that as rational myself.

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Jan 2022 6.51pm)

I am puzzled. Who has declared themselves as a communist, and when and where did they do so?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 02 Jan 22 8.34pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Blair was a competent and just PM, won three elections.

I don't get honours but I can't see anything wrong here.

He was also popular and won the election following the Iraq war, people were not put off voting for him by it.

We are in a lot worse mess now than we ever were with Tony Blair.

A competent and socially just administration, nobody associated labour with prosperity until he came along.

And you get your pensions benefits etc. paid into your accounts due to him.

Never understood the vitriol.

How about 'tough on crime' we didn't have stabbings under Tony Blair.

That is true on so many levels.

Blair would have managed the Covid response with a much greater clarity of purpose and calmness.

I also cannot imagine Brexit happening had he been PM, rather than Cameron. Indeed, if he had remained as PM and not resigned in favour of Brown, Labour would likely have been able to form the coalition with the Lib Dems, rather than the Tories. Then UKIP would have probably split the Tory Party, there would have been no referendum, and we would all (minus a few on here) be happier and safer.

Ifs and buts I know, but Blair's abilities are as much undervalued by some here, as Jordan Ayew's are in Palace Talk.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 02 Jan 22 8.55pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

A leader voted in at a general election should not be replaced internally by their party in my view.

Gordon Browne, James Callaghan for example, both crowned and subsequently defeated at the next election, they just don't seem to have the authority.

TB won the election after Iraq he was the voter's choice.

Labour have been in the doldrums ever since.

It's like saying ok you voted for him but we, the party, prefer someone else.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 04 Jan 22 9.56am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

That is true on so many levels.

Blair would have managed the Covid response with a much greater clarity of purpose and calmness.

I also cannot imagine Brexit happening had he been PM, rather than Cameron. Indeed, if he had remained as PM and not resigned in favour of Brown, Labour would likely have been able to form the coalition with the Lib Dems, rather than the Tories. Then UKIP would have probably split the Tory Party, there would have been no referendum, and we would all (minus a few on here) be happier and safer.

Ifs and buts I know, but Blair's abilities are as much undervalued by some here, as Jordan Ayew's are in Palace Talk.

All irrelevant speculation.

To compare Blair with a footballer on any level is moronic, oh hang on........

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

When conceited septuagenarians opine , best to ignore.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > New Years Honours