You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Is it time to let Wilf go?
June 27 2022 3.25am

Is it time to let Wilf go?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 18 of 23 < 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >

 

View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 24 Feb 22 1.05pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by thechaddyboy

If we're currently paying him 120K a week I doubt he'll re-sign for 25% less. All boils down to what offers come in for him & whether others value him as much as we do, may well be tempted by a bigger team but, will they match or beat the wage &, if he leaves is he guaranteed a starting place in the 1st team or destined to be a 'bit player' in a much better squad. What's the point jumping ship to sit on the bench & have little or no role in any cup / league winning side ?


Edited by thechaddyboy (24 Feb 2022 1.01pm)

It's actually about 33.3% less but still, good point

Edited by Nicholas91 (24 Feb 2022 1.06pm)

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 24 Feb 22 1.25pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Also, sell him to who? The idea that there are a load of suitors for Zaha on a £120k per week contract is simplistic.

He's got no real incentive to take a pay cut and I can't imagine clubs queuing up to pay him what we do.


That's before you even get onto replacing someone so influential.


I suggest he has one incentive; namely if a CL club came in for him. I wouldn't rule out Arsenal. They are currently in a good position to grab 4th place.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 24 Feb 22 1.29pm Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

At his peak he was unstoppable, now he is a useful forward and probably still the most likely to create something out of nothing. The issue is the rest of his game, with a massive amount of inconsistency being seen, one minute looking like the old Wilf (like the goal at Norwich) the next minute tripping over his own feet or misplacing a pass from 12 yards.

I do still think he looks committed though and works hard for the team, the problem is his passing and dribbling has become erratic and rather than winning fouls like he used to he's just losing the ball; players often don't even need to foul him anymore. If you could combine Ayew's input outside the 18-yard box with Zaha's inside it then we'd have a great player.

I said this last season, but I hope he rediscovers his old form for the last dozen or so games and gets a move to a CL in the summer so at least he goes out on a high. Increasingly this seems like a fantasy though.

Sorry to quote my own post, but this is exactly what I saw again last night, hard work, a couple of moments of brilliance and a lot of losing the ball. The question is, does it matter if he runs down blind alleys and gets tackled all the time if he keeps scoring? Probably not. In the old days we thought he was great but just needed to score/create more. Seems you can't win

The fact he has not been complaining constantly for the last few games has been a real positive change. Watford really tested that last night with constant kicks, tugs and stamps (including a blatantly nasty one by Sissoko).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 24 Feb 22 1.30pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


I suggest he has one incentive; namely if a CL club came in for him. I wouldn't rule out Arsenal. They are currently in a good position to grab 4th place.

Sure, if that came true, but I think it's a long-shot.

Arsenal would firstly have to qualify, and then decide they want to make a size-able investment in a winger who's never played at that level. Given they have Saka/Smith-Rowe and Martinelli all coming through, I can't see them doing it.

Arteta is also a bit of a stickler for discipline and Wilf doesn't seem a great fit for the profile of player he seems to like.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 24 Feb 22 1.37pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

Sorry to quote my own post, but this is exactly what I saw again last night, hard work, a couple of moments of brilliance and a lot of losing the ball. The question is, does it matter if he runs down blind alleys and gets tackled all the time if he keeps scoring? Probably not. In the old days we thought he was great but just needed to score/create more. Seems you can't win

The fact he has not been complaining constantly for the last few games has been a real positive change. Watford really tested that last night with constant kicks, tugs and stamps (including a blatantly nasty one by Sissoko).

There's certainly truth to what you're saying, but 'useful forward' feels a bit harsh - he's still our best outlet and most dangerous player in the majority of games, including last night.

I think your line about the old days is spot on; he's not as exciting and eye-catching as he used to be, but his output is considerably better;

Goals scored by wingers since the start of last season;

Salah - 40
Son - 26
Sterling - 20
Mane - 20
Wilf - 20

Barring Salah who is a freak of nature, he's up there with anyone in the country.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 24 Feb 22 1.39pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

There's certainly truth to what you're saying, but 'useful forward' feels a bit harsh - he's still our best outlet and most dangerous player in the majority of games, including last night.

I think your line about the old days is spot on; he's not as exciting and eye-catching as he used to be, but his output is considerably better;

Goals scored by wingers since the start of last season;

Salah - 40
Son - 26
Sterling - 20
Mane - 20
Wilf - 20

Barring Salah who is a freak of nature, he's up there with anyone in the country.


Interesting that, would've no idea otherwise!

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 24 Feb 22 2.33pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

I wonder do wilf and viera routinely speak English or French to each other ?

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 24 Feb 22 2.47pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Also, sell him to who? The idea that there are a load of suitors for Zaha on a £120k per week contract is simplistic.

He's got no real incentive to take a pay cut and I can't imagine clubs queuing up to pay him what we do.


That's before you even get onto replacing someone so influential.

Newcastle, Arsenal, Everton, Aston Villa a European club would all pay 15m for Zaha, with his wages for another year that works out at 21m you have to ask is it better to get the money and buy a winger or possibly end up with nothing next summer, not an easy decision

 


Never be Two Faced, Always Say What You Think, keep Chilled, Man

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 24 Feb 22 3.16pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Newcastle, Arsenal, Everton, Aston Villa a European club would all pay 15m for Zaha, with his wages for another year that works out at 21m you have to ask is it better to get the money and buy a winger or possibly end up with nothing next summer, not an easy decision

Ah 'a European club' - their recruitment is always good to be fair, very well run.

Wilf for another season is worth far more than £15-20m in my opinion - not even a close decision. Framing it like that also implies there's no chance he signs an extension, which is obviously not the case.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Frickin Saweet's Profile Frickin Saweet Flag South Cronx 24 Feb 22 5.05pm Send a Private Message to Frickin Saweet Add Frickin Saweet as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

I wonder do wilf and viera routinely speak English or French to each other ?

yes I believe they do

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 24 Feb 22 5.24pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Frickin Saweet

yes I believe they do

Do you mean yes, or oui?

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kev64's Profile kev64 Flag Cambs 24 Feb 22 5.31pm Send a Private Message to kev64 Add kev64 as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Newcastle, Arsenal, Everton, Aston Villa a European club would all pay 15m for Zaha, with his wages for another year that works out at 21m you have to ask is it better to get the money and buy a winger or possibly end up with nothing next summer, not an easy decision

He won’t move out of London .. Arsenal is his only choice destination, but not sure Arteta would have him. Wilf doesn’t need £ he wants EU football/Cup none of the other teams will get him that .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 18 of 23 < 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Is it time to let Wilf go?