You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > National Rejoin March September 10th
October 2 2022 6.13pm

National Rejoin March September 10th

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 24 of 26 < 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

 

View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Aug 22 8.50am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

When we were in the EU we did not live in a full democracy and had our membership continued we would have become less and less democratic.
I repeat, if you can't vote for or against those that make your laws, then you don't live in a democracy.

Edited by georgenorman (29 Aug 2022 7.49am)

You are getting there! Slowly perhaps but on the right track.

Unless we had a direct democracy there will always be compromises. The only real question is which ones.

I donít think we would ever.accept federalism in the UK and the EU could not have imposed that on us. A two speed EU is inevitable in my view and we would have been in the outer circle but came out before it happened. My hope and expectation is that will be our path back in, although I may not witness it myself.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 29 Aug 22 8.53am Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

You are getting there! Slowly perhaps but on the right track.

Unless we had a direct democracy there will always be compromises. The only real question is which ones.

I donít think we would ever.accept federalism in the UK and the EU could not have imposed that on us. A two speed EU is inevitable in my view and we would have been in the outer circle but came out before it happened. My hope and expectation is that will be our path back in, although I may not witness it myself.

Do you accept that if you can't elect those that make the laws that govern you then you do not live in a democracy?

Also, to all intents and purposes, the EU was and is federalism. What are your objections to federalism?

Edited by georgenorman (29 Aug 2022 8.58am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View JRW2's Profile JRW2 Flag Dulwich 29 Aug 22 9.42am Send a Private Message to JRW2 Add JRW2 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle


I donít think we would ever.accept federalism in the UK and the EU could not have imposed that on us.

That is correct, but our own government could have imposed it if we hadn't escaped. We had our one and only vote in 1973, but thereafter one treaty after another - the Single European Act, Maastricht, Amsterdam, Nice, Lisbon - were all foisted on us by the government, without any opportunity to say no. All of these treaties had the effect of tightening the EU's grip on individual countries, as it pursued its target of "ever closer union", and I have little doubt that by mid-century (I certainly won't be around) the EU will be barely distinguishable from a federation.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Aug 22 2.35pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by JRW2

That is correct, but our own government could have imposed it if we hadn't escaped. We had our one and only vote in 1973, but thereafter one treaty after another - the Single European Act, Maastricht, Amsterdam, Nice, Lisbon - were all foisted on us by the government, without any opportunity to say no. All of these treaties had the effect of tightening the EU's grip on individual countries, as it pursued its target of "ever closer union", and I have little doubt that by mid-century (I certainly won't be around) the EU will be barely distinguishable from a federation.


Our own government cannot ever ďimposeĒ anything on us. They are our elected representatives and itís their job to take decisions on our behalf. We choose them and thatís where our role ends.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 29 Aug 22 2.40pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle


Our own government cannot ever ďimposeĒ anything on us. They are our elected representatives and itís their job to take decisions on our behalf. We choose them and thatís where our role ends.

What utter tosh.

Who voted for mass immigration?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Aug 22 2.44pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Do you accept that if you can't elect those that make the laws that govern you then you do not live in a democracy?

Also, to all intents and purposes, the EU was and is federalism. What are your objections to federalism?

Edited by georgenorman (29 Aug 2022 8.58am)

.'

As we do, and did when in the EU, elect the people who make our laws, that qIuestion is senseless. Every democracy does it, some directly, some less so.

The EU is not a federation. Every country enacts its own laws, even those first conceived in Brussels.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 29 Aug 22 2.49pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

'Worker gored to death by antelope in Swedish zoo'

It is a good job we are not in the EU any longer - Jacob Rees-Mogg.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Aug 22 2.50pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

What utter tosh.

Who voted for mass immigration?

'

No-one did as it is an emotive term used to discredit immigration.

We voted in governments who then decided policy on everything, including immigration, alongside fighting a battle against the illegals.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View JRW2's Profile JRW2 Flag Dulwich 29 Aug 22 2.52pm Send a Private Message to JRW2 Add JRW2 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle


Our own government cannot ever ďimposeĒ anything on us. They are our elected representatives and itís their job to take decisions on our behalf. We choose them and thatís where our role ends.

But it wasn't where our role ended in 1973.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 29 Aug 22 5.02pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

What utter tosh.

Who voted for mass immigration?

I know I'm going to regret asking this but...

Please name the national or pan national legislation regulation or treaty that directly led to mass immigration into the UK.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View JRW2's Profile JRW2 Flag Dulwich 29 Aug 22 5.07pm Send a Private Message to JRW2 Add JRW2 as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

I know I'm going to regret asking this but...

Please name the national or pan national legislation regulation or treaty that directly led to mass immigration into the UK.

I think you're right.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 29 Aug 22 5.09pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

I know I'm going to regret asking this but...

Please name the national or pan national legislation regulation or treaty that directly led to mass immigration into the UK.

Are you suggesting that Britain has no control over its borders?

Are you implying that it is impossible to have a more selective process to allow entry into this country?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 24 of 26 < 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > National Rejoin March September 10th