You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Hodgson to stay
June 8 2023 10.43pm

Hodgson to stay

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 35 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

 

View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 16 May 23 11.54am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

I don't think that Wilf will stay unless he can't get decent money elsewhere.
If he stays I think it would be a massive benefit to the club and the younger players in my opinion.
I would prefer we went down the slightly untested route as long as they have sound coaching skills - let Roy stay and be the man manager.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 16 May 23 1.01pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Given Roy's ability make the best out of the resources available to him, this to me signals a lack of intent in the transfer market this summer. Or am I just being overly negative ?

Appointing Roy for another year gives the club a decent chance in staying in the Premier League, and that appears to be the extent of our ambition.

You are probably right, and I donít knock the call for ambition . But fulfilling ambition successfully costs money, if the ambition is to have a European campaign for instance, which it would inevitably be the case , we can barely afford a squad to keep us in the division let alone one that could sustain both things.. West Ham spend better than us yet their squad can barely manage both tasks, and if you look back on the whole clubs with limited money very often end up relegated not so long after the European experience.
Personally I believe until we can afford to build a much stronger broader based squad ,
we may have ambition but no means, that is what our managers have to manage, at the same time as coaching a side to compete well enough not to lose the Premier status we enjoy.
As it happens Hodgson , amongst other achievements has taken a basement English team to a European final ,given the right squad there is nothing in his record to say he couldnít do it again.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eaglesdare's Profile eaglesdare Online Flag 16 May 23 1.05pm Send a Private Message to eaglesdare Add eaglesdare as a friend

How does one compete against the top 6 and now top 7 with the newcastle addition to get a european spot?

As much as I would love a european adventure realistically it would be the worst thing to happen to us. better off focusing on a league or fa cup run.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 16 May 23 1.47pm Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

I would have mixed feelings if Roy were to stay on. He has done a fantastic job in digging us out of a hole, but I would worry that he may not be able to keep this momentum going. Two years ago he rightly considered it was time to move on, and I wonder if he really has the stomach for a another full season with all its trials and tribulations.

I just feel that keeping Roy for another year would be treading water and putting off the search for someone new, something that will inevitably have to happen sooner or later.

But of course there would have to be some suitable candidates available for the role. I wonder how willing Parish is to again risk appointing a manager with little or no PL experience. Previous out-of-the-box punts have given us DeBoer (a disaster) and Viera (ultimately falling short).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if caution wins over and Roy was offered another year.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Davepalace707's Profile Davepalace707 Flag Northumberland 16 May 23 1.55pm Send a Private Message to Davepalace707 Add Davepalace707 as a friend

Assuming it happens, and you would have to assume he is planning for it, at some Parish will have to push the button on the stadium build. That will then commit the club & owners to a risky period of high capital spend & disruption. He must be thinking he would love the club to be stable going into & through that period until the build is finished. Heís probably take that stability over any European involvement during that time. Appointing Roy feels like the first stage in achieving that. If it works out I wouldnít be surprised to see Roy given even longer. If it doesnít work out he can get someone else in at any time.

 


ďYou miss 100 per cent of the shots you donít takeĒ

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 16 May 23 2.41pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

The reasons Iíve seen for Roy not staying are,

1) his age
2) not forward thinking in terms of planning for the future
3) the stodgy football played at the end of his last tenure

To these reasons I would counter,

1) he enjoys robust health, is mentally alert, retains his enthusiasm and is still more involved in day to day coaching than many other younger managers.

2) what constitutes planning in modern football?
At the beginning of this season Vieira was seen as the future for us but come February that looked more of a forlorn hope than a reality.
Brighton had Potter and all his staff which was all part of their long term plan at the beginning of the season, but then Chelsea came and poached not only Potter but most of his staff. Now fortunately for them that seems to have worked out with the new manager, but if he continues on his current trajectory he wonít be there long with higher teams beckoning.
The point Iím making is that upheaval is part of the modern game with a revolving door for managers.
You can make longer terms plan around e.g the academy, transfer strategy, ground development but not on the certain duration of a managerís tenure.
With the above in mind Roy seems a highly credible candidate for at least the next season.

3) I was a big critic of Roy at the end of his last spell with the stagnant football.
However, in fairness once heís had the talent (Cabaye, RLC, Eze, Olise) he has demonstrated that he does not stifle talent but positively encourages it.
Under Vieira the assumption was that the squad wasnít good enough or didnít run enough as the games without efforts on goals or getting players in the box mounted up.
The same squad is giving a lie to this assumption as Roy and the coaching team have transformed our play with a far more positive approach and no more possession for possessionís sake in our own half which was frequently the case under Vieira.

In summary itís less of a risk to stay with Hodgson than take a punt on an unknown overseas manager unfamiliar with our players or the Premier League.
Moreover, there could even be an upside if the current players continue to flourish under Roy and we strengthen in a couple of areas.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PJEagle's Profile PJEagle Flag London 16 May 23 2.50pm Send a Private Message to PJEagle Add PJEagle as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

I don't think that Wilf will stay unless he can't get decent money elsewhere.
If he stays I think it would be a massive benefit to the club and the younger players in my opinion.
I would prefer we went down the slightly untested route as long as they have sound coaching skills - let Roy stay and be the man manager.

He's beginning to look injury prone. Other clubs might be less interested?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 16 May 23 2.53pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by PJEagle

He's beginning to look injury prone. Other clubs might be less interested?

Almost seems as though the deal with his maker was 'You'll be absolutely fine and extremely resilient in your best years however will fall apart quite quickly and dramatically after 30'.

Unfortunately he may not have factored this into his career pathway.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 16 May 23 3.07pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Parish thinking, we'll employ Roy and not buy anyone.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 16 May 23 4.11pm Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by Pete53

I would have mixed feelings if Roy were to stay on. He has done a fantastic job in digging us out of a hole, but I would worry that he may not be able to keep this momentum going. Two years ago he rightly considered it was time to move on, and I wonder if he really has the stomach for a another full season with all its trials and tribulations.

I just feel that keeping Roy for another year would be treading water and putting off the search for someone new, something that will inevitably have to happen sooner or later.

But of course there would have to be some suitable candidates available for the role. I wonder how willing Parish is to again risk appointing a manager with little or no PL experience. Previous out-of-the-box punts have given us DeBoer (a disaster) and Viera (ultimately falling short).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if caution wins over and Roy was offered another year.

I completely agree. I'm in the 'I want a new manager camp' for the main reason that another season of Roy is just kicking the can down the road.

In Rogers and Potter there are a couple of good managers out of work and then add to that list a few of the good ones in Holland and Germany linked. That 'feel' more ambitious.

But hey, Roy has an infinitely better team than he did before, and the players seam to be responding to him. So there is no reason to think that the form wont continue into next season

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 16 May 23 4.27pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by MrRobbo

I completely agree. I'm in the 'I want a new manager camp' for the main reason that another season of Roy is just kicking the can down the road.

In Rogers and Potter there are a couple of good managers out of work and then add to that list a few of the good ones in Holland and Germany linked. That 'feel' more ambitious.

But hey, Roy has an infinitely better team than he did before, and the players seam to be responding to him. So there is no reason to think that the form wont continue into next season

I think in some sort of way I agree Robbo.

Hodgson for me represents something I instinctively view as quite static - we are all braced for that we have seen before and whilst perhaps not wildly ambitious is far less likely to spell disaster. He therefore represents safety for me but nothing glamorous.

With this squad and God forbid some ambition reflected through investment you never know. So the dream is for a inspired new manager to come in, revolutionise and take us forward however Roy may bring some progression but definitely insurance against worse case scenario.

I'm therefore content with Roy unless a well researched and concocted plan is in place for something else.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 16 May 23 4.45pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

The reasons Iíve seen for Roy not staying are,

1) his age
2) not forward thinking in terms of planning for the future
3) the stodgy football played at the end of his last tenure

To these reasons I would counter,

1) he enjoys robust health, is mentally alert, retains his enthusiasm and is still more involved in day to day coaching than many other younger managers.

2) what constitutes planning in modern football?
At the beginning of this season Vieira was seen as the future for us but come February that looked more of a forlorn hope than a reality.
Brighton had Potter and all his staff which was all part of their long term plan at the beginning of the season, but then Chelsea came and poached not only Potter but most of his staff. Now fortunately for them that seems to have worked out with the new manager, but if he continues on his current trajectory he wonít be there long with higher teams beckoning.
The point Iím making is that upheaval is part of the modern game with a revolving door for managers.
You can make longer terms plan around e.g the academy, transfer strategy, ground development but not on the certain duration of a managerís tenure.
With the above in mind Roy seems a highly credible candidate for at least the next season.

3) I was a big critic of Roy at the end of his last spell with the stagnant football.
However, in fairness once heís had the talent (Cabaye, RLC, Eze, Olise) he has demonstrated that he does not stifle talent but positively encourages it.
Under Vieira the assumption was that the squad wasnít good enough or didnít run enough as the games without efforts on goals or getting players in the box mounted up.
The same squad is giving a lie to this assumption as Roy and the coaching team have transformed our play with a far more positive approach and no more possession for possessionís sake in our own half which was frequently the case under Vieira.

In summary itís less of a risk to stay with Hodgson than take a punt on an unknown overseas manager unfamiliar with our players or the Premier League.
Moreover, there could even be an upside if the current players continue to flourish under Roy and we strengthen in a couple of areas.

I think you are spot on regarding the fools gold of long-term planning built around 'The One'; a manager that will, all by themselves, take the club to the fabled 'next level'.

Our long-term planning as a club is done by the Chairman who, lest we forget, stabilized the club financially (more than many have managed), reunited the club and ground, bought and developed the training ground, then the academy, and will doubtless build the new stand in the end. These are all things he explained to be pillars of his long-term plan at the outset.

Our medium-term planning as a team is done by the DoF. Our 'managers' are just coaches. They do not sign or sell players, they do not offer or withhold contracts, and they do not shape direction. They pick the team and the tactics from the set of players the club provides.

I don't see any reason why Roy can't do a decent job for another year, or why we need to get, or should even be hoping for, a three or four year-long stewardship from our next manager. That's not how the club is set up nowadays.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (16 May 2023 4.51pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 35 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Hodgson to stay