You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Whoís at fault - Hodgson or the board?
December 11 2018 2.01pm

Whoís at fault - Hodgson or the board?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Ketteridge's Profile Ketteridge Flag Brighton 05 Dec 18 10.14am Send a Private Message to Ketteridge Add Ketteridge as a friend

Originally posted by rob1969

Whilst last night was abysmal and undoubtably the manager has to accept the blame for that I feel that the bigger problem ilies with the management of the club itself.
We now been in the PL for six seasons and we have hardly improved in that time . Yes we have got mid table, briefly, on a few occasions but inevitably spend most of out time looking over our shoulders.
In the meantime Ďsmallerí clubs have been promoted and are now doing far better than Palace have done,in much shorter time.
Where are Bournemouth and. Brighton in the league today?

It seems that the club management do not have - maybe nnever had- a long term plan for the development of the club. They either happy to just go along Ď on a wing and a prayerí or are incapable of doing otherwise.
As things stand we will inevitably get relegated, if not this season then next,or the one after that. I feel sure we will then look back at our many years in the PL as both a wasted opportunity as well as
a hugh waste of the money gained over those years. What will we have to show for it? We will be back in the Championship with the same type of players and the same type of stadium that we had when we beat Watford in the play offs all those years ago.

Hopefully I will feel a little more optamistic when the memory of last night has faded in a week or month or After we beat than at home.


Edited by rob1969 (05 Dec 2018 9.56am)

I agree with you to a point but a couple years back we would be saying look at Stoke, West Brom and Southampton, they are established prem league teams.
A bad run and any one of 13 prem teams will be worrying about relegations a good run and they will be talking about a Europa league spot. We were not as good as we looked at the end of last season and we are not as bad as we look know. Having siad that the bench looks rubbish and doesn't give us anything which is a worry.

 


One supporter of hacking argued that without it "you will do away with the courage and pluck of the game, and I will be bound to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week's practice -Blackheath secretary at first meeting of the F.A

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Deepbluec's Profile Deepbluec Flag South CRoydon 05 Dec 18 10.15am Send a Private Message to Deepbluec Add Deepbluec as a friend

Okay let's all agree that last night was a very bad night for all Palace fans but listening to the game on the radio it sounded like several players were having an absolute mare. Luka, Meyer and Tomkins in particular. Roy can not be held responsible for shocking player performances. He also can't be held responsible for the club's stiker situation. Remember we do have two strikers recovering from injury. If either Wickham or Benteke were playing we wouldn't be in this position. Even a poor performing Benteke would make a difference. Personally I have really enjoyed watching our football this season. Okay not winning games has been disappointing and last night was a shocker but we have been playing very attractive football. Our defence is better than ever, Hennessey has been in great form and in general we have looked good. Lack of goals, as we all know is the problem. Last night was our worst mightmare but these things happen in football but I personally think it would be a mistake getting rid of Roy. Everybody needs to calm down. I am sure Roy will make the players suffer watching the game today and I would be suprised if we don't see a positive response against West Ham on Saturday. All Palace fans hated losing this game but until we get some quality back up front I think any manager would struggle. Anyway roll on Saturday and fingers crossed the team will turn up. So everybody, let's please stop slagging off the manager and the team and put last night down to a "bad day at the office" and try to remember the positives so far this season like Man U away, Arsenal at home etc. Oh and if you really want to vent your spleen slag Pardew off for selling Glen Murray, possibly the worst transfer decision in recent history and to make it even worse he ends up at Brighton! What a muppet. PS. Thanks Willo!

Edited by Deepbluec (05 Dec 2018 10.36am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 05 Dec 18 10.15am Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

The other problem I have with this particular scenario is I just have the feeling Parish will allow this to fester for far too long as with his mate super Al. I just feel with the respect for Roy he just is not going to get rid. I think hes here for the long haul. I think Roy deserves some support in January and then see where we are. I just have doubts about Roys in game management and tactical flexibility even with new players. Knowing Roy we'll sign a striker in Jan (ha) but he wont play him until Feb/March anyway

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag 05 Dec 18 10.17am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by jimruss

This was lifted from the BBS but I think sums it up for me :

We were beaten by a better run club tonight. Theyíve been in premier league 1.5 years, theyíve signed smart, no vanity signings..just good scouting with enough depth and quality. We havenít had a premier league quality striker for 18 months, we have dougie freedman, Ian moody and his friends signing players like Jach, Rakip and Sorloth , whilst they hire the FA technical director Dan Ashworth. We are just poorly run, simple as that

Brighton also have Paul Barber as Chief Exec who was Commercial/Marketing director at the FA.
Looking at a couple of their scorers last night - Andone cost £5.25 Mill and Balogun was a Free.
Regards Dan Ashworth I don't think he starts there until the new year.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Goal Machine's Profile Goal Machine Flag Croydon 05 Dec 18 10.19am Send a Private Message to Goal Machine Add Goal Machine as a friend

Iím amazed Hodgson is under fire from anyone. Performances have generally been decent, we just canít stick it in the onion bag as we have no goal scorers. The Beneteke situation is sad as he used to be such a great striker and his confidence has gone. Sorloth was a poor signing and is woefully off the pace. Ayew looks awful and has a reported attitude problem. If either one of Benteke of Wickham come back firing (doubtful), weíll shoot up the table. Heís not had much of a budget to work with and outside of the starting 11, there are no game changers we can bring off the bench. Heís doing well with what he has. Blame has to lie with the transfer policy as we have too many average players on high salaries and therefore a lack of depth. The signing of Rakip and Jach in particular were completely bizarre.

Yesterday was a rank performance, no doubt. But it was unexpected. The first goal is always very important and the outcome could have been very different had we not had conceded that dodgy penalty.

I donít think the league table is a fair reflection of the way we have played this year.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag 05 Dec 18 10.20am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Deepbluec

Okay let's all agree that last night was a very bad night for all Palace fans but listening to the game on the radio it sounded like several players were having an absolute mare. Luka, Meyer and Tomkins in particular. Roy can not be held responsible for shocking player performances. He also can't be held responsible for the club's stiker situation. Remember we do have two strikers recovering from injury. If either Wickham or Benteke were playing we wouldn't be in this position. Even a poor performing Benteke would make a difference. Personally I have really enjoyed watching our football this season. Okay not winning games has been disappointing and last night was a shocker but we have been playing very attractive football. Our defence is better than ever, Hennessey has been in great form and in general we have looked good. Lack of goals, as we all know is the problem. Last night was our worst mightmare but these things happen in football but I personally think it would be a mistake getting rid of Roy. Everybody needs to calm down. I am sure Roy will make the players suffer watching the game today and I would be suprised if we don't see a positive response against West Ham on Saturday. All Palace fans hated losing this game but until we get some quality back up front I think any manager would struggle. Anyway roll on Saturday and fingers crossed the team will turn up. So everybody, let's please stop slagging off the manager and the team and put last night down to a "bad day at the office" and try to remember the positives so far this season like Man U away, Arsenal at home etc. Oh and if you really want to vent your spleen slag Pardew off for selling Glen Murray, possibly the worst transfer decision in recent history and to make it even worse to bloody Brighton! What a muppet.

Murray was sold to Bournemouth who then sold him to Brighton.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 05 Dec 18 10.25am Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

Iím amazed Hodgson is under fire from anyone. Performances have generally been decent, we just canít stick it in the onion bag as we have no goal scorers. The Beneteke situation is sad as he used to be such a great striker and his confidence has gone. Sorloth was a poor signing and is woefully off the pace. Ayew looks awful and has a reported attitude problem. If either one of Benteke of Wickham come back firing (doubtful), weíll shoot up the table. Heís not had much of a budget to work with and outside of the starting 11, there are no game changers we can bring off the bench. Heís doing well with what he has. Blame has to lie with the transfer policy as we have too many average players on high salaries and therefore a lack of depth. The signing of Rakip and Jach in particular were completely bizarre.

Yesterday was a rank performance, no doubt. But it was unexpected. The first goal is always very important and the outcome could have been very different had we not had conceded that dodgy penalty.

I donít think the league table is a fair reflection of the way we have played this year.

I agree he has a difficult job. However his job is to work with the players he has at his disposal. He is incapable of any tactical nouse. He cannot find a solution to our ineptness. He cannot find a plan for us to score from open play. Ok, so why do we not work on set plays? I mean I'm sure we do but they are hopeless. The formation he plays does not work. Change it and then change it again. Do something. He is a record stuck on repeat. Are you telling me Allardyce would not get a better tune out of these players? I'm sorry but I have almost had enough of Roys vacant expression on the touchline and in interviews. Hes out of ideas imo.

Edited by MonsterMunch (05 Dec 2018 10.26am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Aray's Profile Aray Flag London 05 Dec 18 10.26am Send a Private Message to Aray Add Aray as a friend

Originally posted by jimruss

Others have mentioned it, Jokanovic?

I wouldn't be against appointing him, btw I'm not saying Roy should be sacked, just offering a name who would probably come here.

He is exactly the manager we should be lining up for the end of the season if not before. He is young and progressive - unlikely to see us as a stepping stone - and not FdB. Letís be realistic folks

Who else are we going to get with any experience that isnít Mark Hughes or big Sam?

Of course this season hasnít gone well for him but he never got the defensive line up he needed to make a fist of it. We have that sorted.

Back to the OPís original question: seems to me that Roy and Parish both have responsibilities theyíve failed to perform. We have not got a fully functioning striker. We should have - but would Roy even play someone who wasnít the finished article? Thing is buying a complete striker is very expensive. In our position you have to buy flawed (Tekkers) or developing (Sorloth)

We all know AWB only got his chance because of circumstance. Will Sorloth learn his craft coming on in the 70th minute?

And letís revisit that - we have an extra man and make no attempt to bring on a striker and alter our shape until then?!?

At the moment I blame Roy - letís see what Parish does in the January window.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 05 Dec 18 10.28am Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

Iím amazed Hodgson is under fire from anyone. Performances have generally been decent, we just canít stick it in the onion bag as we have no goal scorers. The Beneteke situation is sad as he used to be such a great striker and his confidence has gone. Sorloth was a poor signing and is woefully off the pace. Ayew looks awful and has a reported attitude problem. If either one of Benteke of Wickham come back firing (doubtful), weíll shoot up the table. Heís not had much of a budget to work with and outside of the starting 11, there are no game changers we can bring off the bench. Heís doing well with what he has. Blame has to lie with the transfer policy as we have too many average players on high salaries and therefore a lack of depth. The signing of Rakip and Jach in particular were completely bizarre.

Yesterday was a rank performance, no doubt. But it was unexpected. The first goal is always very important and the outcome could have been very different had we not had conceded that dodgy penalty.

I donít think the league table is a fair reflection of the way we have played this year.

sadly, come May it is that table that will decide our fate, not the way we have played!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 05 Dec 18 10.32am Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

sadly, come May it is that table that will decide our fate, not the way we have played!

Exactly. Brighton have been saying, before last night that they have been playing poorly but getting results. I know what position I would rather be in. We shouldnt be kidding ourselves our stats of games won and goals scored is abysmal.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jimruss's Profile jimruss Flag Sidcup 05 Dec 18 10.37am Send a Private Message to jimruss Add jimruss as a friend

Quique Sanchez Flores is another one I'd like

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag 05 Dec 18 10.40am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Aray

He is exactly the manager we should be lining up for the end of the season if not before. He is young and progressive - unlikely to see us as a stepping stone - and not FdB. Letís be realistic folks

Who else are we going to get with any experience that isnít Mark Hughes or big Sam?

Of course this season hasnít gone well for him but he never got the defensive line up he needed to make a fist of it. We have that sorted.

Back to the OPís original question: seems to me that Roy and Parish both have responsibilities theyíve failed to perform. We have not got a fully functioning striker. We should have - but would Roy even play someone who wasnít the finished article? Thing is buying a complete striker is very expensive. In our position you have to buy flawed (Tekkers) or developing (Sorloth)

We all know AWB only got his chance because of circumstance. Will Sorloth learn his craft coming on in the 70th minute?

And letís revisit that - we have an extra man and make no attempt to bring on a striker and alter our shape until then?!?

At the moment I blame Roy - letís see what Parish does in the January window.

Supporters are losing faith in the club attracting players who would actually make a difference when they see recent 'Windows' unearth the likes of Sorloth,Ayew,Rakip,Jach etc. The jury is also out on Meyer.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Whoís at fault - Hodgson or the board?