You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Continued mass shootings in America
November 22 2019 12.04pm

Continued mass shootings in America

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 22 of 26 < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

 

View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 08 Aug 19 7.55am Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

I think that graph falls in line with what most people would expect. It does look like environmental concerns could feasibly overtake immigration in years to come, though rather than saying 'we now need to concentrate on this instead' those issues could intertwine in interesting ways.

If environment extremes leads to all hands to the pumps, prioritising that would likely lead to immigration being curtailed, due to the potential mass chaos that may be happening in other nations for the same reason. Being an island nation would be a distinct advantage in a panic situation.

Politically too, it could lead to a more rational view of both issues through direct necessity rather than political opinion.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 08 Aug 19 8.01am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Hey, I think I've found the progressive left's new favourite Hollywood actress.

Itís astonishing she can make it through the day under this crushing burden. What a trouper.
In her honour Iíve spent some time remembering all her films. Iíve got to one so far.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 08 Aug 19 8.10am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by dollardays

I think that graph falls in line with what most people would expect. It does look like environmental concerns could feasibly overtake immigration in years to come, though rather than saying 'we now need to concentrate on this instead' those issues could intertwine in interesting ways.

If environment extremes leads to all hands to the pumps, prioritising that would likely lead to immigration being curtailed, due to the potential mass chaos that may be happening in other nations for the same reason. Being an island nation would be a distinct advantage in a panic situation.

Politically too, it could lead to a more rational view of both issues through direct necessity rather than political opinion.

Interesting viewpoint.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 08 Aug 19 8.11am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Itís astonishing she can make it through the day under this crushing burden. What a trouper.
In her honour Iíve spent some time remembering all her films. Iíve got to one so far.

Yeah, but it's rather famous....and she was oh so disgustingly white in it as well.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 08 Aug 19 8.19am Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Itís astonishing she can make it through the day under this crushing burden. What a trouper.


RoArquette Diary Entry - 8th Aug

Remove mirrors. Turn sun bed to max. Breathe

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 08 Aug 19 9.33am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Penge Eagle

'2019 Data Shows 51% of Mass Shooters Were Black, Only 29% Were White' [Link]

That is blatant propaganda.

Even that right wing rag included the caveat that this was only true "when gang-related shootings are included".

Now whilst I don't underestimate the importance of acknowledging the appalling number of gang shootings these do not fall into the category of "mass shootings" as generally understood. Not in my view, nor I suspect in most people's.

Disputes between criminal gangs that involve multiple murders are not the same as mass murders of innocent people at either random or for political motivations.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 08 Aug 19 9.43am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Is that an insult or an observation?

You would think that because you appear to have no capacity for objectivity.

Sadly, or perhaps not, we won't be around to say I told you so.

You can decide that for yourself but if you see any insult in it then maybe you ought to reflect for a while on your own objectivity.

Mine is quite secure. No worries there. I always ask myself questions about my attitudes to check if I am being honest with my opinions and addressing the issue and not my emotions.

I do agree though that many of us won't be around to witness the outcome, not that I would ever be so petty as to say "I told you so". Scoring points is what idiots like Trump thinks passes for "winning". This isn't a game. It's ensuring decent futures for our children, grandchildren and ALL their fellow citizens wherever they are born.

As I though plan to be here for a good time yet (at 75 I think I have reached around half way) I hope to see a great deal more.

Edited by Wisbech Eagle (08 Aug 2019 9.44am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 08 Aug 19 9.57am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

You knew I wasnt posting about posters as it was a reply to your statement.
Selectively swerving again.
It must be an age thing
My parents are very argumentative and around your age.
Mmmmm yup I'm correct.

You were chiming in on a mini thread about insults which caused my comment. No swerve at all.

If your mental age is still only in the teens I suppose I can understand why you might see your parents as being argumentative. It's the "Kevin" syndrome.

If I were your parent I would do rather more than just argue. A little bit of bedroom time out without the internet would seem in order.

So sorry, you're not correct.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View W12's Profile W12 Flag 08 Aug 19 10.22am Send a Private Message to W12 Add W12 as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

We often get told on here by a certain Hol demographic that a focus upon high immigration is out of step with the views of the populous.

I and others have often argued back that this is incorrect....You would think that the Brexit result would have cemented this in...but never underestimate some people's willingness to deny reality.

Well....The European Commission has a 'Eurobarometer' survey, a twice-annually inquiry into the opinions of over 27,000 Europeans.

It asked people in 33 countries what their main concerns were for the European Union, and found worries over immigration to be the clear winner.

Some 34 per cent of Europeans said immigration was one of their top concerns in 2019, putting the issue comfortably ahead of the competition for another year.

Noting that 18% also state "terrorism" as their primary concern it's not beyond the realms to think that many of those would also state immigration as very high on their list (although obviously that view would be somehow racist).

You could also argue that the economic situation is exacerbated by mass immigration, it's making the debt mountain much bigger due to the huge cost of social care and climate change is certainly not being helped by moving huge numbers of people from a 3rd to first world carbon footprint. Then you are pretty much covering everything on that list.

But then again people will either deliberately or automatically conflate "blaming the immigrants" with "blaming immigration" and we go back to square one.

The thing that most people seem to be unaware of is the extent to which capitalism (even with all it's clear faults that need reforming) and the products and technology it has produced are dragging the world out of poverty. Very few seem to understand this hence the push for socialism in the west. Under socialism the whole world will suffer.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 08 Aug 19 10.31am Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by W12

Noting that 18% also state "terrorism" as their primary concern it's not beyond the realms to think that many of those would also state immigration as very high on their list (although obviously that view would be somehow racist).

You could also argue that the economic situation is exacerbated by mass immigration, it's making the debt mountain much bigger due to the huge cost of social care and climate change is certainly not being helped by moving huge numbers of people from a 3rd to first world carbon footprint. Then you are pretty much covering everything on that list.

But then again people will either deliberately or automatically conflate "blaming the immigrants" with "blaming immigration" and we go back to square one.

The thing that most people seem to be unaware of is the extent to which capitalism (even with all it's clear faults that need reforming) and the products and technology it has produced are dragging the world out of poverty. Very few seem to understand this hence the push for socialism in the west. Under socialism the whole world will suffer.

It certainly has, but it's also responsible for many of the realities that some people take issue with, such as with cheap labour and immigration. I don't really see any alternative to capitalism but essentially is does weaken nation states, and puts massive amounts of money and power in the hands of those who just seek more of the same, and whose will others bend to on account of the massive influence they wield.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 08 Aug 19 10.46am Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

That is blatant propaganda.

Even that right wing rag included the caveat that this was only true "when gang-related shootings are included".

Now whilst I don't underestimate the importance of acknowledging the appalling number of gang shootings these do not fall into the category of "mass shootings" as generally understood. Not in my view, nor I suspect in most people's.

Disputes between criminal gangs that involve multiple murders are not the same as mass murders of innocent people at either random or for political motivations.

Yes, the article is a reach to be generous. But that's the problem, for left and right, with this idea that people simply value 'truth'. There isn't some big list of facts and truths and then that's it. There is a perspective, a vantage point. An environmentalist could reasonably come from an angle where that's 'the' pressing issue and much of what they centre on relates to that, from language to policy. Others, black and white, may come from an angle like that but with race, with that feeding their take on how society should be and what their priorities are. That is why some get drawn into very niche language usage and online cultures and news sites that are detached from the society they live in. We see it on here, and we see it with that laughable 'I'm sorry I was born white', nonsense by Rosanna Arquette.

Now America clearly is more racially polarised with attitudes on all sides and a particular history, so this article is more in fitting with that society. In the UK though, you're not laughing it up in a pub with mates talking about how you prefer your own race, or how white supremacy isn't real, or comparing it to the civil rights movement. These are attitudes out of sync with the vast majority of people. Detached self indulgent musings of the stay-at-home. And that's the key issue here. If people don't bother to have that linked-in reciprocal social aspect to their character, they may well in their droves drift from society and become susceptible to taking on half baked worldviews from cultures that aren't their own. Indeed contortions and caricatured views from those places, since as is typical with most media, much of what is presented is designed to nudge people in one direction or another. The actual allegiance to country can then play second fiddle to the sad yet satisfying reality of something you can buy into with no real push back due to the non conversational nature of how this content is absorbed. We see this process repeat across all hues, as well as religious and political outlooks.

HOL is rather tribal in its approach though, so it's well served to mollycoddle cliched and more full on political takes. In essence people make less balanced arguments now but are more excited by a tribal identity, the very nature of which involves elimination of various truths and nuances. The result is often more like a competition than a meaningful discussion.


Edited by dollardays (08 Aug 2019 11.29am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 08 Aug 19 11.37am Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Nobody gives a flying about thousands of blacks killing each other every day in the US with hand guns. But a 'mass' shooting? Everyone goes nuts. Maybe because it's more relateable. Maybe because it's more PC.

 


New Palace fan site Ė Screaming Alice [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 22 of 26 < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Continued mass shootings in America