You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Interesting Brexit read
May 18 2021 10.10pm

Interesting Brexit read

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 9 of 18 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 04 May 21 3.27pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

It doesn't say that at all, and it is in 2018 two years before brexit even happened.

A bit like your trade deals, either non-existent or spectacularly useless.

A trade deal is supposed to increase trade, not reduce it.

-------------------------------------------------------
""Just a fortnight before the Budget in the autumn of 2017, he made a speech citing the claim on the side of the Brexit campaign battle bus that leaving the EU would free up £350m a week for the NHS.

And he called for this commitment to be honoured.

The stakes could not be higher. Sir Simon was risking his job with such a political intervention.

The then Chancellor, Philip Hammond, was known to be furious.

But the NHS chief had his way and the Prime Minister, Theresa May, agreed to another five-year funding plan. ""


It does in my book and yes it happened before we left because Mrs May got bounced into it the point was it happened.

Now does the NHS need more money sure but a promise made by the Leavers (not the government) was honoured.

Edited by Badger11 (04 May 2021 3.28pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 04 May 21 3.30pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Helmet46

Iím still interested in the answer to this question from someone that loves the EU and thinks anyone that voted leave is clearly the uneducated spawn of the devil :-

I do accept itís rhetorical. If the EU decided to set up an EU Army, with ships, troops, planes etc from every member state what would your reaction be? Would you support, accept and be in favour of this, as a natural direction of travel for what was a trading block? (With, for some weird reason, itís own flag).

Personally I donít trust the EU and I do not trust their long term motives. (But itís fair to say I wouldnít have called a referendum if I was Cameron and I accept that Johnson is hardly a pillar of the community)!

This is a huge issue for Ireland. The constitution requires neutrality but the Government commented sometime ago that they would have to back our 'friends'.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 04 May 21 3.50pm Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

If the balance of trade means that a country exports more to us than they import from us, it stands to reason that they would be happy to continue on the same terms as previously. Not a lot of negotiation needed there.

So India was a piece of cake. Australia will be more difficult but the long-standing Commonwealth and cultural ties make it easier especially as they will be hoping to export more to us.

It's with the non-Commonwealth countries that the real tests lay.

Some of that wine that was bound to China?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Helmet46's Profile Helmet46 Flag Croydon 04 May 21 3.52pm Send a Private Message to Helmet46 Add Helmet46 as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

This is a huge issue for Ireland. The constitution requires neutrality but the Government commented sometime ago that they would have to back our 'friends'.


Itís the bit that fascinates me as I Ďthinkí I see the direction of travel that the EUís over-ambition could take them and itís that bit that worried/s me. I remain wholly unconvinced by the arguments that the World is safer because of the EU - in fact I fear the reverse. I foresee their ambitions may start with an EU peacekeeping force and will gradually step up from there (common market to current EU, anyone) and I think that, alongside NATO etc this could have the potential to cause instability, confusion and distrust.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 04 May 21 3.53pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

So positivity is situation dependent.

No. But reality is.

You can remain positive whatever situation you are in. Making the best of a bad job is always wise. No point in retreating into a shell and doing nothing.

There is much to be positive about over Brexit. The most obvious being the hope it will be reversed.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 04 May 21 3.58pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

The worst thing about brexit is leavers making totally false claims about 'mighty unions' 'huge trade deals' and financial benefits received from leaving which are just not true.

If you left that's it but don't make up a load of false claims in justification.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 04 May 21 3.59pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

No. But reality is.

You can remain positive whatever situation you are in. Making the best of a bad job is always wise. No point in retreating into a shell and doing nothing.

There is much to be positive about over Brexit. The most obvious being the hope it will be reversed.

Nothing like making the best of the situation. Weíre not going back so this brand of positivity could be better applied.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Helmet46's Profile Helmet46 Flag Croydon 04 May 21 4.03pm Send a Private Message to Helmet46 Add Helmet46 as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

The worst thing about brexit is leavers making totally false claims about 'mighty unions' 'huge trade deals' and financial benefits received from leaving which are just not true.

If you left that's it but don't make up a load of false claims in justification.

No, the worst thing about Brexit was that both sides made outrageous claims they couldnít and still canít back up.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 04 May 21 4.04pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Helmet46

So, hereís the thing. You could be right about Brexit and any potential damage. You could, however, be wrong. That it was a mistake is your opinion and, for a variety of reasons, the true impact may not be seen for a number of years.
My problem with this whole Brexit thing is that some of those who voted remain arrogantly like to claim some bizarre intellectual moral high ground - as though they are educating the great unwashed - and that they feel the need to take it upon themselves to educate the Ďthickosí. Whereas leavers like to claim a bizarre victory and jump on anything we do well as a sign Brexit worked. Both attitudes are far more damaging to the UK than the vote, and itís time to move on.

To me, both sides were handled badly, both sides made mistakes and the vote should never really have happened. Cameron was probably one of our worst ever PMís.

But hereís a genuine question and I accept itís rhetorical. If the EU decided to set up an EU Army, with ships, troops, planes etc from every member state what would your reaction be? Would you support, accept and be in favour of this, as a natural direction of travel for what was a trading block? This is not a loaded question at all - I donít trust the EU and I do not trust their long term motives. (But I wouldnít have called a referendum if I was Cameron and Johnson is hardly a pillar of the community)!

So long as NATO exists then there is no need at all for an EU army. The UK is, and will always be, a sovereign state. The idea that we would ever have agreed to become part of a European super state was always just scare mongering. Greater co-operation on sourcing and joint training, sure. Unified command. Not a chance unless some kind of NATO disintegration took place. Possible under the last occupant of the WH but that threat has died, at least for the foreseeable future.

We have no choice other than to move on now that Brexit has happened. That doesn't though mean that there won't be many who are working for it to be reversed. Just as there were those who worked to take us out the moment we first joined. My hope is it doesn't take so long, although I am unlikely ever to know.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Helmet46's Profile Helmet46 Flag Croydon 04 May 21 4.07pm Send a Private Message to Helmet46 Add Helmet46 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

So long as NATO exists then there is no need at all for an EU army. The UK is, and will always be, a sovereign state. The idea that we would ever have agreed to become part of a European super state was always just scare mongering. Greater co-operation on sourcing and joint training, sure. Unified command. Not a chance unless some kind of NATO disintegration took place. Possible under the last occupant of the WH but that threat has died, at least for the foreseeable future.

We have no choice other than to move on now that Brexit has happened. That doesn't though mean that there won't be many who are working for it to be reversed. Just as there were those who worked to take us out the moment we first joined. My hope is it doesn't take so long, although I am unlikely ever to know.

But the question was - IF that was the direction of travel would you support it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 04 May 21 4.12pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Blimey even the BBC acknowledges that the NHS got the £350m (Brexit Intervention).

[Link]

Huh!

As a result of the embarrassment that spurious claims be called to account and not as any kind of genuine saving as a consequence of Brexit.

That money is coming from you and me and not from the EU budget.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 04 May 21 4.16pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Huh!

As a result of the embarrassment that spurious claims be called to account and not as any kind of genuine saving as a consequence of Brexit.

That money is coming from you and me and not from the EU budget.

Perhaps you should apply for a job at Selhurst Park I believe they are looking for someone to move the goal posts.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 9 of 18 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Interesting Brexit read