You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Notting Hill carnival
October 2 2022 6.05pm

Notting Hill carnival

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

 

View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 19 Jun 21 3.09pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by YT

Yes but the poor sods who actually live there have no choice at all.

Sorry, I struggle with that. For me its like people who live near to an airport and then moan about the noise. The Notting Hill Carnival has been going on for decades and I would be willing to bet that over 95% of the local population were aware of it when they chose to move there.

Going to sound harsh but none of what I would define as my 'tribe' live there or go there so I struggle to care that much about it. And even the cops and ambulance people and so on must have been aware that when they chose the jobs they did, having to work the NHC would be part of that.

When people on the Right moan about it, they can come across as being churlish. We need to focus on our own celebrations rather than moan about how others get their jollies.

One weekend, in one postcode, with a heritage going back decades and no compulsion to attend. I see nothing to moan about really.

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 19 Jun 21 3.32pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

Sorry, I struggle with that. For me its like people who live near to an airport and then moan about the noise. The Notting Hill Carnival has been going on for decades and I would be willing to bet that over 95% of the local population were aware of it when they chose to move there.

Going to sound harsh but none of what I would define as my 'tribe' live there or go there so I struggle to care that much about it. And even the cops and ambulance people and so on must have been aware that when they chose the jobs they did, having to work the NHC would be part of that.

When people on the Right moan about it, they can come across as being churlish. We need to focus on our own celebrations rather than moan about how others get their jollies.

One weekend, in one postcode, with a heritage going back decades and no compulsion to attend. I see nothing to moan about really.

I think these are valid comments I am all for people being abled to enjoy their culture even if it's not mine.

I have 2 concerns one is safety the other is taxpayer money this would not exist without that or lottery funding. If they can sort those 2 then rock on I say.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 19 Jun 21 3.38pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

Whether we like it or not, it is part of Londons modern culture.

You know when it is.
You know where it is.
You know what it is likely to be like.

Therefore we can make our own minds up about whether to attend it or not.

Personally, I think it's a shame that it is being cancelled again. A lot of people put a lot of effort into it and whilst I have zero desire to ever go, for some it is the highlight of their year.


You are far too sensible sometimes Matov.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 19 Jun 21 3.45pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I have 2 concerns one is safety the other is taxpayer money this would not exist without that or lottery funding. If they can sort those 2 then rock on I say.

In terms of the safety, then again I don't really care. People know what it is and make their own choices about attending. It's overcrowded, full of street crime and gutters running with piss. But people know that. Long live the freedom to make that kind of judgement call for themselves.

In terms of the funding, then yes, you have a point (not so much the lottery because if people don't like how it allocates its donations, you don't have to play it).

But almost all of our tax is wasted and I can think of numerous other projects far more deserving of our ire than the NHC. If I had a choice on that then I would not want to be forced to financially contribute but in the greater scheme of things, it is pennies.

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View orpingtoneagle's Profile orpingtoneagle Flag Orpington 19 Jun 21 4.33pm Send a Private Message to orpingtoneagle Add orpingtoneagle as a friend

The organisers like any big event (including Palace games) are charged for policeing and employ security.

First aid on the front line is also paid for by way of a donation to St John's and payment for ambulance support.if there is a cost then it is not financial it is that if everyone is at an event other things cannot be covered.

It is bloody expensive (A mate of mine helped organise a couple of events a while back and I was amazed at the cost.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 19 Jun 21 4.38pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

In terms of the safety, then again I don't really care. People know what it is and make their own choices about attending. It's overcrowded, full of street crime and gutters running with piss. But people know that. Long live the freedom to make that kind of judgement call for themselves.

In terms of the funding, then yes, you have a point (not so much the lottery because if people don't like how it allocates its donations, you don't have to play it).

But almost all of our tax is wasted and I can think of numerous other projects far more deserving of our ire than the NHC. If I had a choice on that then I would not want to be forced to financially contribute but in the greater scheme of things, it is pennies.


Yes , you are spot on Matov, since the London olympics, every London household has paid 5 a month on their council tax to pay for it, I didn"t watch it but still had to pay, and will do forever more if i reside in London, its not my bag, but nothing you can do.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 19 Jun 21 4.50pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud


Yes , you are spot on Matov, since the London olympics, every London household has paid 5 a month on their council tax to pay for it, I didn"t watch it but still had to pay, and will do forever more if i reside in London, its not my bag, but nothing you can do.

Oh for a fairer system where you had more choice on where your hard earned went.

I think it would make more sense locally at least.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 19 Jun 21 4.56pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Oh for a fairer system where you had more choice on where your hard earned went.

I think it would make more sense locally at least.

Yes, but i won"t hold my breath. What rubbed salt in to the monthly council tax wound was lord coe getting 2 million for his efforts, but i"m not bitter..........

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 19 Jun 21 5.15pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Yes, but i won"t hold my breath. What rubbed salt in to the monthly council tax wound was lord coe getting 2 million for his efforts, but i"m not bitter..........

I preferred Ovett.

I still don't know how Coe thought that sticking a baseball cap on William Hague was a good idea.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Cucking Funt's Profile Cucking Funt Flag Eggefahrt 19 Jun 21 5.21pm Send a Private Message to Cucking Funt Add Cucking Funt as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

You are far too sensible sometimes Matov.

Were you looking forward to dancing half naked with a London bobby?

 


Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 19 Jun 21 5.27pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

Were you looking forward to dancing half naked with a London bobby?

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 19 Jun 21 5.28pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

Were you looking forward to dancing half naked with a London bobby?

Half?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Notting Hill carnival