You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > If Brexit responsible for HGV driver shortage.....
October 22 2021 5.47pm

If Brexit responsible for HGV driver shortage.....

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 02 Oct 21 1.34pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

[Link]

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 02 Oct 21 1.45pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Data from the Office for National Statistics shows that, whatever the shortage before the pandemic, the number of large goods vehicle drivers fell around 10%, or 30,000, between 2019/20 and 2020/21.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Online Flag Chatham 02 Oct 21 2.48pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Interesting and positive post. I hope you are right. I am not sure too many holders of HGV licences, who aren't currently driving, will return without significant changes being made. I only know one and he got really fed up with always being away from home, and the lack of decent facilities. It's not as though there aren't better alternatives. He is now a gardener!

Decent facilities are a big issue. They can't park on local streets and neither on industrial parks. There was a big one muted on the M20; logically but it was the old not in my back yard from the locals. I'm afraid some of us are going to have to suck it up and hmg has to find the balls to say tough luck let's get moving on this issue.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 02 Oct 21 3.07pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Decent facilities are a big issue. They can't park on local streets and neither on industrial parks. There was a big one muted on the M20; logically but it was the old not in my back yard from the locals. I'm afraid some of us are going to have to suck it up and hmg has to find the balls to say tough luck let's get moving on this issue.

Is this the one you're on about cryst?

[Link]

You are bang on about the facilities & the problem of the 'nimbys', Pay & working conditions are a major factor along with 'Driver Hours' which an awful lot of people have totally missed & have not even addressed.

I have both an 'LGV' & a PCV license tho due to my age am not able to do a re-test as would be required by law. Simply put a driver can work/drive 9hrs a day, 3 times a week & 10hrs twice a week. After 4.5hrs the driver MUST take a break of 45mins. As you can imagine, planning your route to enable that to happen is a nightmare, most drivers take their break wherever they are tipping their load, usually with no facilities to use.

 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Oct 21 3.52pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

Then those sneaky Belgians left with out telling anyone

[Link]

Funny how on both the Belgian link-5000 drivers short, and the Irish link-4000 drivers short- they both use gb as an example of how not to do it-100000 drivers short! Oh my oh my, where on earth did it all go wrong Nigel? Boris? Jacob-and nanny?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 02 Oct 21 4.04pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Funny how on both the Belgian link-5000 drivers short, and the Irish link-4000 drivers short- they both use gb as an example of how not to do it-100000 drivers short! Oh my oh my, where on earth did it all go wrong Nigel? Boris? Jacob-and nanny?

You forgot Tony & Gordon tut tut

 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Oct 21 4.14pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

You forgot Tony & Gordon tut tut

Yeah, and churchill, mcmillan and thatch, but we have to draw the line somewhere i guess eagleman! Fcukin lashing it down here, bet you can still get on the beach there!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 02 Oct 21 4.31pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Yeah, and churchill, mcmillan and thatch, but we have to draw the line somewhere i guess eagleman! Fcukin lashing it down here, bet you can still get on the beach there!


Which is where i am at the mo . . .

 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Oct 21 4.53pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13


Which is where i am at the mo . . .

Nice one.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 02 Oct 21 7.21pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I don't think anyone has suggested that there isn't a shortage of HGV drivers throughout Europe.

The issue is whether Brexit has put us in a worse position relatively to other European countries? If drivers can find plenty of work in their own countries, why come to the UK where they are regarded, at least by some, as unwelcome, and the pay and conditions inferior. Brexit hasn't caused the problem, but it has made finding a solution harder.

Imagining there is a pool of suitable labour at home ready and willing to be trained to drive HGV's, with the training facilities already in place, and that this can all be done quickly, is totally unrealistic.

We have a short to medium term problem which won't be solved by opening our doors again to the EU. Nor, I suspect, elsewhere.

Substantially increasing the training facilities, alongside making the job more attractive, both for the pay and the facilities on offer, will bring a longer-term improvement, but the same can be said for many other areas which are suffering a labour shortage. This won't be solved in my lifetime!

We will have to get used to the shortages, empty shelves and closures due to lack of staff. Oh, and Hrolf blaming it all on immigration.


Brexit will force employers to improve conditions and pay to help the recruitment of staff. There will be more opportunities for British people and more encouragement for them to take jobs that were previously undesirable.
Commerce will quickly find a solution to shortages all the time products are available at source because they can make more money. That always drives innovation better than anything.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Oct 21 7.32pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Funny how on both the Belgian link-5000 drivers short, and the Irish link-4000 drivers short- they both use gb as an example of how not to do it-100000 drivers short! Oh my oh my, where on earth did it all go wrong Nigel? Boris? Jacob-and nanny?

Poland has 60% of the UK population and a driver shortage of 124,000. What would that figure be if all those drivers hadnít gone home? EU membership hasnít helped them much.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Online Flag Chatham 02 Oct 21 7.43pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

Is this the one you're on about cryst?

[Link]

You are bang on about the facilities & the problem of the 'nimbys', Pay & working conditions are a major factor along with 'Driver Hours' which an awful lot of people have totally missed & have not even addressed.

I have both an 'LGV' & a PCV license tho due to my age am not able to do a re-test as would be required by law. Simply put a driver can work/drive 9hrs a day, 3 times a week & 10hrs twice a week. After 4.5hrs the driver MUST take a break of 45mins. As you can imagine, planning your route to enable that to happen is a nightmare, most drivers take their break wherever they are tipping their load, usually with no facilities to use.

Clearly not in my back yard then

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > If Brexit responsible for HGV driver shortage.....