You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > NHS needs a total review
January 29 2023 6.43pm

NHS needs a total review

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

 

View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 13 Dec 22 11.30am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


As previously noted the NHS in Scotland is better value for the public than in England, or at least London.
Prescriptions and eye tests are free and dentists are very much cheaper.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 13 Dec 22 11.38am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


As previously noted the NHS in Scotland is better value for the public than in England, or at least London.
Prescriptions and eye tests are free and dentists are very much cheaper.

Probably because no one wants to live there!

Said with love to my old ancestral homeland.

Edited by Stirlingsays (13 Dec 2022 11.43am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 13 Dec 22 11.48am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

We give Scotland money to spend on the NHS and as far as I can see we give them more per head that we spend in England - nuts!
Maybe they waste it less than we do?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 13 Dec 22 11.53am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Probably because no one wants to live there!

Said with love to my old ancestral homeland.

Edited by Stirlingsays (13 Dec 2022 11.43am)

And long may it remain that way. I honestly believe if more people considered it they'd sell up and move here. Housing is still affordable, if you sold up in London you could get a really nice place with money left over, beer is half the price of London and the natives are friendlier than perceived.
Admittedly the weather could do with a bit of improvement but it's not that bad.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 13 Dec 22 12.05pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

And long may it remain that way. I honestly believe if more people considered it they'd sell up and move here. Housing is still affordable, if you sold up in London you could get a really nice place with money left over, beer is half the price of London and the natives are friendlier than perceived.
Admittedly the weather could do with a bit of improvement but it's not that bad.

Yep, you are probably right.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 13 Dec 22 12.17pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by becky

Convalescent homes they were called.

I don't understand why they cannot build a few 'Nightingale' type hospitals (or have used the original ones) for this.

As most patients are ready for discharge, they would only need a mininmum of 'qualified' staff and a few health care assistants, with the patients themselves helping with things like meal delivery and drinks rounds as part of their occupational therapy, preparing them for home (obviously only for those who are actually able to help in some way).

This and the 'community spirit' and companionship would probably be far more beneficial all round.

Exactly more like an hotel than a hospital.

Apparently we can find millions for boat people but not for the folk who live here. Many old people who are discharged end up back in hospital in days when really what they need is a bit of TLC and a nurse checking the basics.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 13 Dec 22 12.24pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

We give Scotland money to spend on the NHS and as far as I can see we give them more per head that we spend in England - nuts!
Maybe they waste it less than we do?

They waste enough but have the advantage of only having 10% the population to plan and provide for.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 13 Dec 22 12.26pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

All of this boils down to good management within said organisation.

My (somewhat uninformed) opinion of the NHS is that it has been existence so long and transitioned from government to government (naturally) so a lot of it's problems have been somewhat organic in the very nature of it's existence and lifespan.

It is poor management, whether that is senior leaders or governments, which has led to a very nonstrategic approach and management of the workforce and thus a cacophony and snowballing of issues. Only keeping 'half an eye' on such matters from the outset, or at least some time ago, would have equally halved the problems.

The sad state now is that the NHS is underappreciated as to the quite frankly astonishing institution it is and by extension so are it's employees who, without exaggeration, I hold in the highest regard and think others should do too.

The investment (sincerity and less so financial), silo management of it, it's 'political football' status and a general disregard for it's workforce are all elements that must be addressed to give it any chance of sustaining let alone improving.

A young woman worked for me when I was in banking. She was a decent enough worker bee but definitely not bright enough for management. Specifically she lack imagination and problem solving skills. Anyway she left to join the NHS as a manager and I recently came across her she is now a senior manager.

Now it may be that she had an IQ transplant but I very much doubt it I think she realised that the competition in our company was too fierce so she was never going to get on so for her the NHS was a good career move.

One person I know but if that is the quality of NHS managers......

Edited by Badger11 (13 Dec 2022 12.27pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 13 Dec 22 12.29pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

We give Scotland money to spend on the NHS and as far as I can see we give them more per head that we spend in England - nuts!
Maybe they waste it less than we do?

NHS Scotland and Wales have the same problems as England in the case of Wales they are worst as for Scotland possibly worse. No country in the UK has got in right.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 13 Dec 22 1.26pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

A young woman worked for me when I was in banking. She was a decent enough worker bee but definitely not bright enough for management. Specifically she lack imagination and problem solving skills. Anyway she left to join the NHS as a manager and I recently came across her she is now a senior manager.

Now it may be that she had an IQ transplant but I very much doubt it I think she realised that the competition in our company was too fierce so she was never going to get on so for her the NHS was a good career move.

One person I know but if that is the quality of NHS managers......

Edited by Badger11 (13 Dec 2022 12.27pm)

I suspect that is no anomaly.

Supply and Demand. When the demand outweighs the supply such instances will inevitably occur. The question should however be is the demand appropriate?

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 13 Dec 22 1.51pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I suspect that is no anomaly.

Supply and Demand. When the demand outweighs the supply such instances will inevitably occur. The question should however be is the demand appropriate?

I dealt with a lot of corporates other the years. At the very top most of these people are very bright and get it, where you notice the difference is the people below them, it is not like for like the brightest go where the best prospects are.

Decision making was the key difference. I was happy to make decisions even as a junior because your career stood or fell on that. I came across many people in other companies where they had the title but could not decide between tea or coffee for a staff meeting.

That was also my experience of the public sector happy to take the salary but petrified to make a decision which is why they call it the blob.

Edited by Badger11 (13 Dec 2022 1.54pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 13 Dec 22 2.06pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I dealt with a lot of corporates other the years. At the very top most of these people are very bright and get it, where you notice the difference is the people below them, it is not like for like the brightest go where the best prospects are.

Decision making was the key difference. I was happy to make decisions even as a junior because your career stood or fell on that. I came across many people in other companies where they had the title but could not decide between tea or coffee for a staff meeting.

That was also my experience of the public sector happy to take the salary but petrified to make a decision which is why they call it the blob.

Edited by Badger11 (13 Dec 2022 1.54pm)

Yep.

My personal experience with the Public sector has also inclined me to believe they often promote internally less so through merit but more through necessity. Having individuals either not suited, qualified or prepared for senior positions. This either encourages incompetent leadership or occasionally a lot of 'parroting' and imitation whereby they simply fall in line with others in such positions who seem more assured of their place than they do.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > NHS needs a total review