You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Another one bites the dust?
April 22 2024 10.44pm

Another one bites the dust?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 32 of 33 < 28 29 30 31 32 33 >

 

View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 26 Sep 23 8.09am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

I'm not sure how you've deduced that or why you've decided to personalise a fairly inoffensive opinion. Age gaps obviously become progressively less problematic the older you get, and broadly when all parties are adults (ie. over 1 I don't think the law should bother itself with who you shag, as long as it's all consensual.

You and your wife were both in your 20s when you met - it's nothing like what I'm describing.

I apologise if you felt I personalised your opinion, that was not the intention, I was trying to debate the age gap scenario

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 26 Sep 23 1.26pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

So you think the age of consent should be raised to 18?

I wouldn't be against that, however I can see problems that it creates as it's difficult enough now with a significant number of 16 year olds having sex before it's legal.

[Link]

It's roughly around 1 in 3.

When we look at why the answer is obvious....it's both cultural and technological. Cultural insomuch as social liberalism encourages sexuality and sexual freedom and technological down to the reality of the pill and the removal of social stigma.

The statistics from the link showing that in 1964 the number of teenagers reporting underage sex being a least half what it was since these cultural and technological changes.

I don't know what the solution is (even social conservatism would only be a partial answer).....I'd like a solution but I don't think it's going to be under social liberalism. You can raise the age of consent to any age you like....unless you change the culture it makes no difference and while the pill is there....nothing will change.

Edited by Stirlingsays (26 Sep 2023 7.14am)

No, I don’t.

I posted on this thread: “I think 16-18 should be it's own category and my view would be broadly not to allow people over 18 to engage with people under it.

That obviously would mean a couple who were 17 and 19, for example, would not legally be allowed to have sex, which feels harsh, but I think it's a better solution than our current laws.”

I don’t view ‘underage sex’ in itself as a problem that needs solving. I view adults shagging kids as one.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 26 Sep 23 1.39pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

No, I don’t.

I posted on this thread: “I think 16-18 should be it's own category and my view would be broadly not to allow people over 18 to engage with people under it.

That obviously would mean a couple who were 17 and 19, for example, would not legally be allowed to have sex, which feels harsh, but I think it's a better solution than our current laws.”

I don’t view ‘underage sex’ in itself as a problem that needs solving. I view adults shagging kids as one.

Unworkable......You're going to give 19 year olds a criminal record for shagging 16 year olds?

I have some sympathy for an age difference restriction but it has to make sense......Also, you're ignoring all the problems I highlighted.....In effect it's only going to cause more problems not less unless you can change the culture and technology.

Which isn't going to happen.

If Brand shagged a 16 year old as a 30 year old that's dodgey and distasteful, I agree with you. However, that's the law and has been for a very long time.

What's far more important is stopping the peados from shagging underage kids....something that has grown into a big problem under the social liberalism you support.

Edited by Stirlingsays (26 Sep 2023 1.40pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 26 Sep 23 1.56pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Unworkable......You're going to give 19 year olds a criminal record for shagging 16 year olds?

I have some sympathy for an age difference restriction but it has to make sense......Also, you're ignoring all the problems I highlighted.....In effect it's only going to cause more problems not less unless you can change the culture and technology.

Which isn't going to happen.

If Brand shagged a 16 year old as a 30 year old that's dodgey and distasteful, I agree with you. However, that's the law and has been for a very long time.

What's far more important is stopping the peados from shagging underage kids....something that has grown into a big problem under the social liberalism you support.

Edited by Stirlingsays (26 Sep 2023 1.40pm)

You just stated that whatever percentage of people break the current laws and have underage sex - how many of them end up with criminal records?

Thanks for reminding me for the 50th time on the thread what the current law is - I was really unsure until then.

To be clear; I propose a law which distinguishes between adults and kids, in light of a story of a 30 year old shagging a 16 year old (most of your political allies are very readily defending said 30 year old, by the way ) - I specify that I don’t have a problem with teenagers shagging teenagers, but very much do have a problem with a 30 year old shagging a 16 year old, and your response is ‘what’s far more important is stopping the paedos from shagging underage kids’ - I think a fairly good start to that would be a law that prevents adults shagging teenagers.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 26 Sep 23 2.24pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


The age of consent feels a bit anomalous in that it was introduced in 1885 when the school leaving age was 10. In Britain a child is defined as anyone under 18 which would make more sense.
Apparently in Germany the age of consent is 14 which, to me, is too young both physically and emotionally.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 26 Sep 23 2.27pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

You just stated that whatever percentage of people break the current laws and have underage sex - how many of them end up with criminal records?

I should imagine not that many....for the reason that I stated, that's it's largely unworkable.

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Thanks for reminding me for the 50th time on the thread what the current law is - I was really unsure until then.

A bit passive aggressive but whatever.

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

To be clear; I propose a law which distinguishes between adults and kids, in light of a story of a 30 year old shagging a 16 year old (most of your political allies are very readily defending said 30 year old, by the way ) - I specify that I don’t have a problem with teenagers shagging teenagers, but very much do have a problem with a 30 year old shagging a 16 year old, and your response is ‘what’s far more important is stopping the paedos from shagging underage kids’ - I think a fairly good start to that would be a law that prevents adults shagging teenagers.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing.

I've answered these particular points several times now.

If you aren't sure what I'm arguing then you haven't really read my posts. I'm not sure how much clearer I could have been.

Nevertheless, like I said, If there was a law giving age restriction making it illegal for over 30s shagging 16 year olds you won't get any complaints from me.....I'm mainly pointing out what the real issues are and why what you were proposing with criminising 19 year olds wouldn't work.

However, I share the distaste for large age differences with males shagging female teens......I don't think a 14 year age gap would get that much resistance as most people are repelled by it.

It probably happens rarely enough to make it possible to enforce.

Edited by Stirlingsays (26 Sep 2023 2.28pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 26 Sep 23 2.32pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


The age of consent feels a bit anomalous in that it was introduced in 1885 when the school leaving age was 10. In Britain a child is defined as anyone under 18 which would make more sense.
Apparently in Germany the age of consent is 14 which, to me, is too young both physically and emotionally.

I think 18 does make sense from an emotional perspective.

However, it just isn't going to fly in today's liberalism.....It was still a problem (albeit a much smaller one) in the past before the pill in more socially conservative times.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 26 Sep 23 3.07pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I think 18 does make sense from an emotional perspective.

However, it just isn't going to fly in today's liberalism.....It was still a problem (albeit a much smaller one) in the past before the pill in more socially conservative times.

Quick google showed the legal age for sex was lowered from 18 to 16 8/1/01. You & everyone have concentrated on males shagging younger women/girls, what about women shagging younger boys?

As an aside & it will p'ee EbDN right off, my ex-partner was 19 years younger than me & no, she wasn't a teenager when we met, a bit older.

 


I'm a blind man, i'm a blind man, now my room is cold,
When a blind man cries, Lord, he feels it from his soul.
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 26 Sep 23 3.18pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

Quick google showed the legal age for sex was lowered from 18 to 16 8/1/01. You & everyone have concentrated on males shagging younger women/girls, what about women shagging younger boys?

As an aside & it will p'ee EbDN right off, my ex-partner was 19 years younger than me & no, she wasn't a teenager when we met, a bit older.

That law change was for gay and bi-people.
The older woman question is interesting since females are generally more emotionally mature than males in their teens there could be more emotional harm. Not that many 16 year old blokes who got some Mrs. Robinson action are likely to complain about it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 26 Sep 23 3.27pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

Quick google showed the legal age for sex was lowered from 18 to 16 8/1/01. You & everyone have concentrated on males shagging younger women/girls, what about women shagging younger boys?

As an aside & it will p'ee EbDN right off, my ex-partner was 19 years younger than me & no, she wasn't a teenager when we met, a bit older.

Copy + paste:

“I'm not sure how you've deduced that or why you've decided to personalise a fairly inoffensive opinion. Age gaps obviously become progressively less problematic the older you get, and broadly when all parties are adults (ie. over 18 ) I don't think the law should bother itself with who you shag, as long as it's all consensual.”

Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (26 Sep 2023 3.28pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 26 Sep 23 3.45pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Copy + paste:

“I'm not sure how you've deduced that or why you've decided to personalise a fairly inoffensive opinion. Age gaps obviously become progressively less problematic the older you get, and broadly when all parties are adults (ie. over 18 ) I don't think the law should bother itself with who you shag, as long as it's all consensual.”

Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (26 Sep 2023 3.28pm)

 


I'm a blind man, i'm a blind man, now my room is cold,
When a blind man cries, Lord, he feels it from his soul.
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 26 Sep 23 3.47pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

I've been reading this thread and the interactions with some amusement I must say, and I mean that in a very inoffensive and light-hearted way.

For what it's worth, I would suggest criminalising anybody aged from 18 upwards having sexual relationships with anyone below that age. When I was 15 I had a 17 year old girlfriend (of which I was very proud) but I wouldn't expect her to be in breach of the law for what we did. She actually turned 18 before I did 16 (we were no longer affiliated at this point and I fear I was far more heartbroken despite any external image I may have projected) but if this were to of continued, despite it perhaps not making sense to some and in such circumstances, I would understand where that may cross an imposed line.

If an 18 year old has a 17 year old partner of course that is the closest possible to a grey area however tough sh!t as far as I am concerned, the law will have to be the law for the greater good. If both parties are under 18 then that in the worst instance is a social issue and outside of extremes should not be a legal one.

I'd look at it similar to drinking. A few 17 year old mates might drink together but if one turns 18 before the others, he can't legally buy all his mates a round in the pub (I think anyway). That's the law, for good reason, and that's that.

For me anyway, a 16 year old with a 30-something year old is far more worrying than an 18 year old with an 81 year old, as an example. Once you're 18, generally speaking if not legally, you're considered an adult and your responsibility is your own. You can therefore do many things you could not as a child, but cannot involve children in them. Should be the same with sexual consent. Just my opinion of course and not a long considered one, just off the bat, so happy for any offering of an opposing opinion (not that I will agree of course).

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 32 of 33 < 28 29 30 31 32 33 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Another one bites the dust?