You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Another one bites the dust?
February 29 2024 2.48am

Another one bites the dust?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 28 of 33 < 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >

 

View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 23 Sep 23 8.41pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

And,........silence,....(ahhhhhh)

 


"The facts have changed", Rishi Sunak

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 23 Sep 23 11.14pm Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

I'm not sure if I dislike Piers Morgan more, or less than Brand, but I found this discussion with three women, one of whom dated brand, interesting. [Link]

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 23 Sep 23 11.29pm Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

Not for the reasons you think, no. Certainly not for political reasons. No one cares about an old handsy guy with a Jesus complex. See what you want to see - if you think he’s more (or, frankly, anywhere near) of a threat than Robinson at his peak then you must be a few deep.

Overzealous MPs trying to score votes by looking like they have some shred of morality. For what it’s worth I agree its overreach, and pleasing to see Rumble and X refuse. They’re private entities and can do as they please.

Also Lanez is American, right? So not sure if the UK govt would be getting involved there.

I so wish I had the open mindedness displayed here. I was taught that I was supposed to not judge a book by the cover. Good job I'm not one of those morons you go on about though.

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 24 Sep 23 12.58am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Parliamentary committees do not set policy or indeed represent the Government.

The ridiculous letter from Dineage was pretty much a personal request and not from the Government.

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 24 Sep 23 3.01am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

Parliamentary committees do not set policy or indeed represent the Government.

The ridiculous letter from Dineage was pretty much a personal request and not from the Government.

The head of the committee who wrote to Rumble and others is one of the MPs behind the 'Online Harms' bill, which most definitely targets social media companies.

Shortly after Rumble replied defending freedom of speech several advertisters have pulled their ads from their platform.

Coincidence? Or a reflection of concerns over ESG scores and shareholders like Vanguard/BlackRock.

Companies that ignore power tend to fall foul of it....Musk for example is being investigated by Biden administration..Of all the companies out there how surprising it's Musk.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 24 Sep 23 9.08am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

I never found it morally correct. A distinct power imbalance.

Very complex issue delving into wide cultural disparities awful economic conditions and hard question as to who actually wields the power. You have to realise that the sort of men who do this are not strong men who have usually failed in relationships. They seek a nice compliant female of their fantasy. Such women do not exist.

I spent a few educational but not wholly pleasant few months back packing around Philippines. Elderly men - largely retired US servicemen - and their young wives. I was told the women ensure all his assets are brought into the Philippines. He inevitably dies well before her and by Philipino law she inherits everything including his military pension and US citizenship for her and the offspring.

The Thai bride character in Little Britain (which the BBC have had to excise from the iplayer for annoying reasons most on this site deplore) is probably more reflective of the odd power balance.

Morality? Who knows.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 24 Sep 23 9.56am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

I'm not sure if I dislike Piers Morgan more, or less than Brand, but I found this discussion with three women, one of whom dated brand, interesting. [Link]

So did I, so thanks for posting it.

I am no fan of Piers Morgan as I find his style irritating but I thought his appraisal of the Brand situation to be spot on. It would take too long to critique the individual contributions of his 3 guests. They all had some good and bad points but each came from different positions.

Where I think Morgan is wrong is in his criticism of the way Brand is now being treated on social media. Social media exists. It has many bad consequences, alongside the good. The Brand genie is out of the bottle and no amount of theoretical moralising will put it back in.

I knew nothing about the way Brand had behaved in the past before I watched Dispatches. Some of the allegations are of criminal behaviour but more are on video and audio records showing behaviour which might be legal but which is surely unacceptable in any kind of responsible society. Why it has taken this long to be highlighted is a valid question but that it is being is not.

That agents, advertisers and subscribers may now choose to distance themselves is perfectly understandable. I would not want to be tainted by any association, no matter how unrelated, with someone with Brand’s history.

So whilst Morgan is clearly correct in saying Brand deserves for these accusations to be tested by due process and not in the court of public opinion it is unrealistic to expect that to happen.

The circle won’t be closed unless and until prosecutions result in convictions, which won’t necessarily happen given the elapsed time and the necessity to establish proof beyond any reasonable doubt. That though doesn’t mean his reputation won’t suffer. Nor does it deserve not to suffer. This wasn’t simply promiscuous behaviour. Legal or not it was unacceptable behaviour.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 24 Sep 23 11.54am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

So did I, so thanks for posting it.

I am no fan of Piers Morgan as I find his style irritating but I thought his appraisal of the Brand situation to be spot on. It would take too long to critique the individual contributions of his 3 guests. They all had some good and bad points but each came from different positions.

Where I think Morgan is wrong is in his criticism of the way Brand is now being treated on social media. Social media exists. It has many bad consequences, alongside the good. The Brand genie is out of the bottle and no amount of theoretical moralising will put it back in.

I knew nothing about the way Brand had behaved in the past before I watched Dispatches. Some of the allegations are of criminal behaviour but more are on video and audio records showing behaviour which might be legal but which is surely unacceptable in any kind of responsible society. Why it has taken this long to be highlighted is a valid question but that it is being is not.

That agents, advertisers and subscribers may now choose to distance themselves is perfectly understandable. I would not want to be tainted by any association, no matter how unrelated, with someone with Brand’s history.

So whilst Morgan is clearly correct in saying Brand deserves for these accusations to be tested by due process and not in the court of public opinion it is unrealistic to expect that to happen.

The circle won’t be closed unless and until prosecutions result in convictions, which won’t necessarily happen given the elapsed time and the necessity to establish proof beyond any reasonable doubt. That though doesn’t mean his reputation won’t suffer. Nor does it deserve not to suffer. This wasn’t simply promiscuous behaviour. Legal or not it was unacceptable behaviour.

That's the presumption of innocence dealt with then.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace_in_frogland's Profile palace_in_frogland Flag In a broken dream 24 Sep 23 12.10pm Send a Private Message to palace_in_frogland Add palace_in_frogland as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

I so wish I had the open mindedness displayed here. I was taught that I was supposed to not judge a book by the cover. Good job I'm not one of those morons you go on about though.

My father always said “Never judge a book by its cover.” And that’s why he lost his job as chairman of the National Book Cover Awards Committee.

(Stewart Lee)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 24 Sep 23 1.03pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I wonder what's it's called when old 'western' men go to poor disadvantaged countries and come back with significantly younger wives. Remarkable how often that happens.

Mmmmm...

Edited by Stirlingsays (23 Sep 2023 9.34am)

what are you talking about ? i don't see any of that here.....

[Link]

 


the 'Net-We-had' at the Etihad....again

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 24 Sep 23 1.41pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

That's the presumption of innocence dealt with then.

Not if it reaches court and charges of criminal behaviour have been alleged. He would get a fair trial.

In the court of public opinion, based on the irrefutable evidence of the appalling attitudes and behaviour being brought to a wider audience because of the Horizon programme, there is no presumption of innocence. It cannot be denied. How it is regarded is an individual matter but I am unsurprised at the general reaction. Aren't you too?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 24 Sep 23 1.58pm Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Not if it reaches court and charges of criminal behaviour have been alleged. He would get a fair trial.

In the court of public opinion, based on the irrefutable evidence of the appalling attitudes and behaviour being brought to a wider audience because of the Horizon programme, there is no presumption of innocence. It cannot be denied. How it is regarded is an individual matter but I am unsurprised at the general reaction. Aren't you too?

This from someone who routinely denies the most obvious of facts.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 28 of 33 < 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Another one bites the dust?