You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > roy out
February 28 2021 1.00pm

roy out

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 305 of 318 < 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View doombear's Profile doombear Online Flag Sutton Coldfield 23 Feb 21 12.18pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by MonsterMunch

Surpised it took you this long. If you are content with that performance yesterday, and this season in general then I think the distance is too great for any middle ground for the conversation. Credit where credit is due Roy got the result. But for me that type of performance is totally unacceptable. We were lucky, we all know it. Lets not dress it up that it suddenly vindicates Roys approach to the game of football. However he has it appears been able to fire up the lads to put in a performance. Shape and putting their bodies on the line wise they gave everything.


I agree we were VERY lucky. Our performance showed that the players were determined to get a result, whether for their own self-esteem or for the fans is a moot point. I'm just hoping that this ultra-defensive set-up is not a sign of things to come and that we'll be more pro-active against Fulham and subsequent opponents.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 23 Feb 21 12.27pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

*Your

 


Is joining the 'Grumpy Old Gits' Club

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 23 Feb 21 12.27pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Far from shabby? Two touches in the opposition box last night. 3-0 home defeat against Burnley last week, 3-0 loss to 10 man Villa, 7-0 vs Liverpool! 1 point from 8 games in the run in at the end of last. What planet are you on?

Each season, Woy has finished in a lower position in the league, with him at the helm the best period in our history has ended by a greedy old b****** who's sole aim is to rob the club of £4.5m each year.

His negative set up will avoid relegation, but when you look at the other candidates avoiding relegation shouldn't be an issue.

We've got 13 games left, 9 of them are against sides in the top 10. If you think setting up like that every week will work then you truly don't know anything about sport.

You're tedious and tiresome post never identify anything he is doing right with the team to justify him keeping his huge salary. You clearly just identify with an old talentless man who's failed at life.

Where do you think we should be at the moment in the table? Taking our poor quality of football out of the equation do you really believe that we would be top 6 with a different manager and this current squad.

We are basically level on points with Wolves, Southampton and Leeds and are 2 points off Arsenal and 4 off Spurs. Imagine how their fans must feel?

Yes, Our football is awful most weeks but at the end of the day results are all that matters. Just ask the Italians and Jose Mourinho.

(and I also would like Roy to move on if a better candidate comes along)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 23 Feb 21 12.34pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by Ginger Pubic Wig

The bottom line is that yes Roy sets his teams up cautiously. But none of us know whether this current extreme low-possession, defensive football is him or the players he has to choose from. And if it's the players he has, how much he has been involved in recruiting them (and not others). We can claim to know but we don't.

My hunch (and nothing more): 70% owners, 30% Roy (ie he likes a defensive setup)...*but* given the constraints we put him under, he is the ideal manager to get results for Palace.

Eddie Howe at Palace would be a new catastrophe.

This may be true, but I don’t think I can return as a season ticket holder knowing that I’m going to endure this over and over again.

If we’re at a new 3 year FFP period this summer, and I’ve seen a few other clubs come out of these, then maybe that’ll change things, and/or Roy leaves, the tedium of nothing to get excited about might change.

But now it appears we owe the Americans or shareholders £50 million before doing any business this summer. Half of that is apparently because of Covid. Other teams will have lost revenue same as us, but it will be more of their % revenue than us, although I’m not sure regarding relegation candidates.

We’re undoubtedly looking to be not as bad as 3 teams in the league, whether that he because they’re newcomers, run out of funds or in the latter stages of their 3 year FFP cycles, and I accept that will happen with us at some point, regardless of how many seasons we’ve been in the league. But what I can’t accept forever, and watching it all at home because of Covid makes you realise this, is seeing us have a few shots on goal every month or two. Maybe just touches in the opposition box. I remember Parish quoting ‘’we can’t rely on the bounce of the ball in the opposition box to get results’’. Well I’m waiting to see what significant changes happen because it needs to be the manager or the players or both. Ideally the ownership, but they can change the management and/or players and not the other way round as we know.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 23 Feb 21 12.40pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


I agree we were VERY lucky. Our performance showed that the players were determined to get a result, whether for their own self-esteem or for the fans is a moot point. I'm just hoping that this ultra-defensive set-up is not a sign of things to come and that we'll be more pro-active against Fulham and subsequent opponents.

We usually play with more freedom once we’ve got to safety and the opposition have little to play for or aren’t interested. I think it gives a false league position of 11th. Problem this season is we’re playing some better teams in our run in, but there’s still some achievable points there, and possibly more so without any pressure. (Depends of course on how players who don’t want to stay or suspect or know they’re not wanted decide to perform)

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 23 Feb 21 12.49pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by EddieMac

Where do you think we should be at the moment in the table? Taking our poor quality of football out of the equation do you really believe that we would be top 6 with a different manager and this current squad.

We are basically level on points with Wolves, Southampton and Leeds and are 2 points off Arsenal and 4 off Spurs. Imagine how their fans must feel?

Yes, Our football is awful most weeks but at the end of the day results are all that matters. Just ask the Italians and Jose Mourinho.

(and I also would like Roy to move on if a better candidate comes along)

It is not only that, if what’s in front of your eyes tells you more - that we managed to sneak a goal or two while we block 2 dozen shots on goal after weeks of being easy pickings because we have no goal threat and no goal defence.

These hanging on by a thread paper over the cracks of a strategy or setup or group that is or has run its course.

If you look for another team to excuse these issues you’ll find different teams every season. That way we’ll never face up to the issue that we aren’t willing to do anything in a match unless one or two opportunities present themselves.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Online Flag Sutton Coldfield 23 Feb 21 12.53pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Far from shabby? Two touches in the opposition box last night. 3-0 home defeat against Burnley last week, 3-0 loss to 10 man Villa, 7-0 vs Liverpool! 1 point from 8 games in the run in at the end of last. What planet are you on?

Each season, Woy has finished in a lower position in the league, with him at the helm the best period in our history has ended by a greedy old b****** who's sole aim is to rob the club of £4.5m each year.

His negative set up will avoid relegation, but when you look at the other candidates avoiding relegation shouldn't be an issue.

We've got 13 games left, 9 of them are against sides in the top 10. If you think setting up like that every week will work then you truly don't know anything about sport.

You're tedious and tiresome post never identify anything he is doing right with the team to justify him keeping his huge salary. You clearly just identify with an old talentless man who's failed at life.


Earlier in the season people were quick to point to Hodgson's record over a previous 38 game period so as to damn him (I think you may have been one of them).

Perhaps time to have an update:
Played 38
won 13
drawn 6
lost 19
Points 45

in other words not brilliant but not worthy of derisory comments either. IN fact that record is pretty par for the course during our current stint in the PL, comfortably above the relegation places.

I'm not particularly a Hodgson fan, and I don't like the way we play but I recognize that Hodgson is achieving what seems to be his mandate - keeping us in the PL. I'm hoping we'll see a change in the summer.

As for the rest of your above post, it is clear that you hate Hodgson and I find your unsubstantiated comments about his motives, so-called failure in life and your puerile insistence in calling him 'Woy' sad, especially as when you aren't on your anti-Hodgson high horse, you often make perceptive comments.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 23 Feb 21 12.59pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

I think there a lot that understand why Hodgson, me included. But as time goes on more and more can’t or won’t take much more of it. Not being allowed into matches made this season easier for all. Something needs to happen before we’re allowed back in. It has to simply because of the players coming to the end of their contracts.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View KAOS's Profile KAOS Flag In a tree 23 Feb 21 1.01pm Send a Private Message to KAOS Add KAOS as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

Considering that this is the most successful period in the club's history, I'm truly astonished that there are people calling for the manager to be changed. Football's a results business and Hodgson's overall performance has been far from shabby


Exactly mate - couldn't agree more. Needs must situation and he's brought nothing but stability the last couple of seasons ...

Loads of people demanding free flowing attacking football ... just wow!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag Kent 23 Feb 21 1.04pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by KAOS


Exactly mate - couldn't agree more. Needs must situation and he's brought nothing but stability the last couple of seasons ...

Loads of people demanding free flowing attacking football ... just wow!

to be fair I may just have missed it but I don’t think anyone has demanded this, free flowing attacking football is an extreme of the spectrum and we are certainly on the other end of it.

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dancer Cat's Profile Dancer Cat Flag Farnborough 23 Feb 21 1.09pm Send a Private Message to Dancer Cat Add Dancer Cat as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Far from shabby? Two touches in the opposition box last night. 3-0 home defeat against Burnley last week, 3-0 loss to 10 man Villa, 7-0 vs Liverpool! 1 point from 8 games in the run in at the end of last. What planet are you on?

Each season, Woy has finished in a lower position in the league, with him at the helm the best period in our history has ended by a greedy old b****** who's sole aim is to rob the club of £4.5m each year.

His negative set up will avoid relegation, but when you look at the other candidates avoiding relegation shouldn't be an issue.

We've got 13 games left, 9 of them are against sides in the top 10. If you think setting up like that every week will work then you truly don't know anything about sport.

You're tedious and tiresome post never identify anything he is doing right with the team to justify him keeping his huge salary. You clearly just identify with an old talentless man who's failed at life.

I agree with this - except for the last sentence.

That's unfair! Roy's done (past tense) a great job for Palace over 4 seasons & should be well worthy of our respect & loyalty.

BUT

Because the squad is getting older, his tactics are having to become more extreme to remain effective. It's like an addict requiring more & more to "get the high".

It's getting embarrassing now (I'm not celebrating last night, I'm cringing).

Roy's tactics with this squad will just scrape over the line this season (I didn't think they would, but happy to be wrong).

We need as a club & a business to press the reset button for next season & if that means we swallow relegation in order to progress medium term then so be it.

The medium / long term implications of staying with the status quo (especially when we have such a good opportunity to change a lot of the squad & an old manager) is far more detrimental IMHO.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mstrobez's Profile Mstrobez Flag 23 Feb 21 1.12pm Send a Private Message to Mstrobez Add Mstrobez as a friend

Originally posted by Ginger Pubic Wig

The bottom line is that yes Roy sets his teams up cautiously. But none of us know whether this current extreme low-possession, defensive football is him or the players he has to choose from. And if it's the players he has, how much he has been involved in recruiting them (and not others). We can claim to know but we don't.

My hunch (and nothing more): 70% owners, 30% Roy (ie he likes a defensive setup)...*but* given the constraints we put him under, he is the ideal manager to get results for Palace.

Eddie Howe at Palace would be a new catastrophe.

We can hazard a guess that lumping Roy Hodgson in with the Pulis', Big Sams of the world is an insult to him. There were numerous occasions during his first season where we played very good football:

[Link]

Ask any Fulham fan and they'll tell you the same too. He is by no means a firefighter manager. But ultimately he has to work with what he has at his disposal.

 


We're the Arthur over ere!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 305 of 318 < 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > roy out