You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > ‘Educated voters’ leftward shift’
June 23 2021 10.28am

‘Educated voters’ leftward shift’

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 9 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

 

View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 30 May 21 4.29am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Not until you get your composition substantially better.

Originally posted by silvertop

Ha true. Want to join my party?

 


Let's see SP and the board trying to line up for a piss in the AW toilets at half time before peddling the new stand. We're the Arthur over here and the facilities are a disgrace

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 30 May 21 6.47am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I fear people will misinterpret this post. I agree with it but take a different stance.

Apparently Labour is the party of the ‘working class’. I make that around 14%.

So who speaks for the mass that supports progressive policies and cares about equality of opportunity? Certainly not the current government.

Labour focuses on noble causes, whether or not in truth they are deserving but doesn’t really currently speak for modern Britain.

Edited by Mapletree (29 May 2021 11.15pm)

Equality of opportunity is trumped by the current trend of positive discrimination. Meritocracy is gone. Is that noble enough?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 30 May 21 6.57am Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Labour focuses on noble causes, whether or not in truth they are deserving but doesn’t really currently speak for modern Britain.

Edited by Mapletree (29 May 2021 11.15pm)

And herein lays Labours problem. Is it a protest movement or does it actually want to govern?

Along with the issue of how it is structured in terms of the power of its membership. Effectively, it simply cannot compete with the Tories in terms of 'populist' policies.

And popularism is how you win elections. The most popular political party garners the most votes. That is how democracy works.

 


In 1967, when Polish mercenary Rafal Ganowicz was asked what it felt like to take human life, replied: "I wouldn't know, I've only ever killed communists."

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 30 May 21 9.35am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend


what percentage of working class voters in the North care about ....

- Palestine
- LGBTQ

- The thuggish BLM bullyboys
- the rights of women in some third World country we cannot find on a map

- quotas for womens jobs in higher education
- extra taxes on motoring

Labour are Islington , not Burnley.

 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium, the Vitality, turf moor & Anfield to Old Trafford x 2.....or a neighbourly visit to Craven Cottage...Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 30 May 21 10.09am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I fear people will misinterpret this post. I agree with it but take a different stance.

Apparently Labour is the party of the ‘working class’. I make that around 14%.

So who speaks for the mass that supports progressive policies and cares about equality of opportunity? Certainly not the current government.

Labour focuses on noble causes, whether or not in truth they are deserving but doesn’t really currently speak for modern Britain.

Edited by Mapletree (29 May 2021 11.15pm)

You mean enabling rapes to continue for decades with their obsessive 'racism' support and firing the representative who tried to address it.

You mean standing for children permanently affecting their bodies with drugs and surgery?

Yeah, Labour are real noble.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 30 May 21 11.24am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I fear people will misinterpret this post. I agree with it but take a different stance.

Apparently Labour is the party of the ‘working class’. I make that around 14%.

So who speaks for the mass that supports progressive policies and cares about equality of opportunity? Certainly not the current government.

Labour focuses on noble causes, whether or not in truth they are deserving but doesn’t really currently speak for modern Britain.

Edited by Mapletree (29 May 2021 11.15pm)

The difficulty with this is that people have been fooled that somehow 'working class' is dirty, poor, down pit etc. People consider themselves middle class - which is seen as clean, office based, professional etc. The reality is the majority of people are the working poor, pretty much working to make ends meet. The working class from the 40s/50s onwards were better off than the people who think they are middle class today.
As you know, the working class could afford a house, a wife, three kids on one wage. That is as rare as hen's teeth these days. One wage families would likely be on the breadline unless they got on the property ladder before the 90s. Most people are working class, but think they are middle class. It's that centre ground again.
There's a lot more to this but don't want to bore people.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 30 May 21 12.20pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

The difficulty with this is that people have been fooled that somehow 'working class' is dirty, poor, down pit etc. People consider themselves middle class - which is seen as clean, office based, professional etc. The reality is the majority of people are the working poor, pretty much working to make ends meet. The working class from the 40s/50s onwards were better off than the people who think they are middle class today.
As you know, the working class could afford a house, a wife, three kids on one wage. That is as rare as hen's teeth these days. One wage families would likely be on the breadline unless they got on the property ladder before the 90s. Most people are working class, but think they are middle class. It's that centre ground again.
There's a lot more to this but don't want to bore people.

My definition of working class is anyone who has to work for a living, as you hint the working and middle classes seem to blur into one these days.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 30 May 21 1.16pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

The difficulty with this is that people have been fooled that somehow 'working class' is dirty, poor, down pit etc. People consider themselves middle class - which is seen as clean, office based, professional etc. The reality is the majority of people are the working poor, pretty much working to make ends meet. The working class from the 40s/50s onwards were better off than the people who think they are middle class today.
As you know, the working class could afford a house, a wife, three kids on one wage. That is as rare as hen's teeth these days. One wage families would likely be on the breadline unless they got on the property ladder before the 90s. Most people are working class, but think they are middle class. It's that centre ground again.
There's a lot more to this but don't want to bore people.


Don’t know if it’s still used but one of the classifiers for middle class/ working class people was about deferred gratification. The idea was that middle class people would be more likely to save for what they needed rather than just buy what they wanted.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 30 May 21 1.31pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Don’t know if it’s still used but one of the classifiers for middle class/ working class people was about deferred gratification. The idea was that middle class people would be more likely to save for what they needed rather than just buy what they wanted.

I think third level education is quite a large factor. An issue today is degrees are basically dispensed like Andrex.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 30 May 21 1.34pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio


what percentage of working class voters in the North care about ....

- Palestine
- LGBTQ

- The thuggish BLM bullyboys
- the rights of women in some third World country we cannot find on a map

- quotas for womens jobs in higher education
- extra taxes on motoring

Labour are Islington , not Burnley.

Decent point, well within what I was discussing. These are not issues for the majority of people. People are people and, quite naturally, want to do well themselves and their immediate family to be okay in a concrete way, before they start critically thinking about existentialist matters that have been created by others.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 30 May 21 1.37pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

I think third level education is quite a large factor. An issue today is degrees are basically dispensed like Andrex.

Hence the old joke above the toilet paper dispenser - Sociology degrees. Please take one.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 30 May 21 1.44pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Hence the old joke above the toilet paper dispenser - Sociology degrees. Please take one.

Yes, it was on every toilet paper dispenser in my university. I still laughed. Then again, I still laugh when someone adds an 'i' in the middle of 'to let' signs.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 9 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > ‘Educated voters’ leftward shift’